All G92, G92b and G94 are also bad

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/28/nvidia-55nm-parts-bad

It looks like this is it, maybe all of the cards are toast. :) . Correct me if this was already posted.

EDIT: This looks like Nvidia could be in a little financial trouble after figuring this out. I can honestly say my trust in the company has definitely dropped from the name changes and now to the defective chips. Hopefully they will pull out of this without too much of a loss. It doesn't seem right if the chips are bad and consumers are blind to decide what is defective and what isn't.

Tell me when this is seriously reported on by another source that doesn't have a massive anti-Nvidia agenda.
Just from looking around on message boards you can see that there's no noticeable trend of complaints about recent Nvidia cards dying. Seems like a bunch of FUD to me and posts like yours just spread it around more.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
There are many, many people who own g92+ chips with no significant problems and until people who actually own the cards start having problems I would suggest you cease your rumor-mongering.

themyrmidon

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
My first EVGA 9600 GT SSC was faulty, but that was from a BIOS problem. This one I have up to 775/1100 (single slot cooler too ;) ) G92 is possibly the most popular core today (massive rush before current gen) and I have not heard of any faults en mass with them. Inq is BS.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
So my fully functional 8800GTS 512 is faulty! Yeah right. My only issue is the fan speed, which can be adjusted with rivatuner. This post is nothing but FUD! My 9800GX2 KO is also working perfectly. Plain and simple FUD!

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
i am running a pair of (g92) gts in sli that have worked just fine. Though i have read plenty on nvidia cards frying as of recent (more so on mobile chips but some mention of last/current gen as well). While that may or may not be true depending on what (if?) the "common" catalyst is for creating such a scenrio is. Personally I haven't seen any mass complaints yet in the forums from enthusists so i am guessing the numbers of "defective" chips is minimal or people affected aren't making sure their rigs have proper cooling and dust them in proper intervals. bf2 is on the right page, time WILL tell.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
While I have noticed a mild increase in the number of "my 8800 just fried" complaints, this could easily be attributed to the fact that there are more nvidia cards out there than ati. The series is old enough now that anything that was of slightly sub-par quality or under a lot of heat stress will begin to fail. That happens with all card lines, regardless of manufacturer.

Nvidia corrected this problem in late July by switching from a high lead base silcone to a different solution. I forgot what the solution is called but actually the same solution that ATI has been using for a while. There are market concerns that since Nvidia is now consuming this new silcone that it may raise material prices of ATI since they use the same stuff. LAW of supply and demand. I imagine in about 90 days most of these new Nvidia cards will be on the market.

Most Nvidia desktop cards should be safe. Only when these cards are exposed to 70c Plus temps repeatedly over time will they be at a risk of breaking down.

I think most G92 & G94 peak temps fall under that. Odds are by the time they break down (if they ever do) you will be due for a graphics upgrade anyhow.

The G92s have been on the market for a while now. There are just now rumors a year later that they may be breaking down prematurely due to heat.

It is very possible that the HD48XX series cards which run much hotter may experience similar heat related breakdowns this time next year.

This is the risk you will always have to deal with when using enthusiast level (cutting edge technology) video cards regardless of the manufacturer.

If you go Red or Green either way just make sure you have good case ventation and an aftermarket GPU cooler to minimize your chances of any long term heat related breakdowns.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Lol Jaydeejohn. You're so kind. I think I'll stick with my non-defective 8800 GTS 512.

I would like to see more legit sources and some actual facts, instead of speculation.

I agree with what has been said: If we haven't heard a decent number of major complaining from entusiasts, especially in the gaming desktop market, then I don't think I'm too worried yet.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
The 8600 GS in my mom's computer died inexplicably 3 days ago. I don't think it came from a huge batch of broke GPUs, just one dud.

Interesting note, my warranty through Newegg was up by 20 days, but they still honored it. This is why I love the Egg.

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

Yes, Maziar has fried his GPUs.

Probably those with defects.

K-ous

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Wierd though my G94 9600GT did have initial issues BSOD and looping sound.
Though when i reinstalled my games the problems seemed to vanish.
Now its running succesfully with my old 8600GT (for PhysX) which was gathering dust somewhere.