I have this system which was assembled in July 2004:
CPU: AMD Athlon 2400+ (Thoroughbred); Socket A; L1- 64KB, L2cache- 256KB. Core speed – 2.0GHz Motherboard: MSI K7N2 Delta-L (model MS6570), chipset: NVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 RAM: Total: 1GBDDR (1280MB) [split across 3 slots- slot1- Hynix512MB PC2700(166MHz), Slot#2- Corsair 512MB PC3200, Slot#3 - Corsair 256MB PC3200] Video AGP card: NVidia GeForce4 MX4000 (64MB video memory). Hard disk: Total 200GB = IDE HDD 120GB Seagate7200 RPM + IDE 80GB Seagate7200RPM Display: 17” CRT Samsung syncmaster 793s Speakers: Creative Inspire 2.1 2500 Power Supply: A local-make 400W power supply
Scenario I am facing is this: Many of my friends too are having same kind of problems:
* I am avid movie watcher & with this system I can’t watch HDRip movies; movies with 1080p quality with excellent audio quality too.
* I want to run multiple OS: RedHat Ent Edition, Ubuntu Windows Vista, XP; also VMware workstation with various flavors of Linux, Windows Vista.—with my present system I can do this but run short of space, speed.
* I don’t play games much, however I want to play some games with decent quality like car racing, etc.I can’t play latest games as PCI-Express card is needed.
* I may (mostly) be running softwares such as dynagen, dynamips (a router simulation software which GOBBLES CPU)
1. Is there a way to add a video card alone to the above system such that I can watch HDrip, 1080p quality movies n stuff?
3. Should I (read, is it wise to) upgrade the system? I am in INDIA.
My budget: CPU + Motherboard + RAM + HDD(optional) = around 350 $ (around 15000 Indian Rupees)
3. If I should upgrade should I go for Intel or will it suffice with AMD?
4. Should I go for ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard + AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ + 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM or
Intel? If Intel, which processor and mobo combination?
6. Be it Intel or AMD, Please let me know a motherboard which has onboard video that can play HDTV (future proof to an extent) or at least Is there any new motherboard (in case I have to upgrade) be it INTEL or AMD, which has onboard graphics which can play decent level of games, HDTV rip (1080p) movies?
I request you help me out in figuring out what to choose.
Let's close the deal. Look at these screenies & videos. I beat Dirt (rally; single & multiple cars races) a few times over. From Rookie to Clubman to Amateur to some Pro-Am. Haven't gotten to Pro yet. I'm playing Grid (street & circuit races). Unlocked all tiers for US, EU & Japan (love the non-stop drifting). Yes, the games do look as good as the screenies if the pc is capable. These 2 racers got the HDR (when you're coming out of a tunnel, your eyes take time to adjust to the outdoor lighting) right. SEGA Rally Revo looks good, but the HDR is exaggerated.