Sign in with
Your question

SATA I vs SATA II

Last response: in Storage
December 31, 2009 9:30:43 AM

Hello, folks. I got a laptop which came with a sata 1 HDD. I replaced it with a SSD which is supposed to be faster than sata 1. I wonder if the motherboard of the laptop is compatible?

More about : sata sata

a b D Laptop
a c 415 G Storage
December 31, 2009 10:03:42 AM

When two dissimilar SATA devices are connected they default to the "lowest common denominator" speed. Your SSD may not work as fast as it could, but it will work.

The big advantage of an SSD is it's lightning fast access time, and you'll get the full benefit of that no matter what kind of SATA your laptop supports.
a b G Storage
December 31, 2009 9:15:56 PM

^Yes as he said, SATA I might bottleneck your Transfer rates but as your boot drive, random access times are the most important and that will be the same for whichever sata is used. However theoretically, SATA is 1.5 GB/s so that would be around 185mbps transfer, it could be less though. Depending on your SSD it might not even be bottlnecked as some SSD's dont get to that transfer anyway.
Related resources
December 31, 2009 10:12:59 PM

sminlal said:
When two dissimilar SATA devices are connected they default to the "lowest common denominator" speed. Your SSD may not work as fast as it could, but it will work.

The big advantage of an SSD is it's lightning fast access time, and you'll get the full benefit of that no matter what kind of SATA your laptop supports.

So you mean the motherboard might not support SATA II but SATA I? In other words, for a SATA II SSD to function as it supposed to the motherboard should support SATA II?
December 31, 2009 11:10:59 PM

LOL if one device is sata 1 and one is sata 2 itll run at the slower speed.
a b D Laptop
a c 415 G Storage
December 31, 2009 11:36:11 PM

cool_01 said:
So you mean the motherboard might not support SATA II but SATA I? In other words, for a SATA II SSD to function as it supposed to the motherboard should support SATA II?
I have absolutely no idea what your motherboard supports. But in order to get SATA II transfer rates BOTH ends of the connection (the disk controller on the motherboard and the disk itself) must support SATA II. If either one is SATA I, or if they are both SATA I, then the drive will work but you'll be limited to SATA I transfer rates. As I posted above, this isn't quite as bad as it sounds.
January 1, 2010 12:40:11 AM

many thanks ! how can i figur out if the disk controller supports SATA I or II? is it possible any way?
January 1, 2010 12:41:21 AM

sminlal said:
I have absolutely no idea what your motherboard supports. But in order to get SATA II transfer rates BOTH ends of the connection (the disk controller on the motherboard and the disk itself) must support SATA II. If either one is SATA I, or if they are both SATA I, then the drive will work but you'll be limited to SATA I transfer rates. As I posted above, this isn't quite as bad as it sounds.

many thanks ! how can i figur out if the disk controller supports SATA I or II? is it possible any way?
a b G Storage
January 1, 2010 2:12:38 AM

All that is included in the specific specifications of your motherboard, Storage device...etc
January 1, 2010 4:43:26 AM

Lol its in the motherboard specifications. Either look in the manual or in the box or lpok it up on the manufacturer website. Sorry about the typing issues im typong this off my iphone lol im rotfl with the wimpiness of this virtual keyboarx.
January 2, 2010 5:37:53 AM

Thanks folks. Could not find the info on all of the above. Usually there is not much info on the motherboard of a laptop in the manual. I just wanted to know if there is any software for this info.
January 2, 2010 6:05:03 AM

Read and write rates will be capped as many drives can now challenge the sata 1.0 specs 150mb capish throughput, but the advantage of random seek times will still be there so relatively it will still be quite fast. Just think of it as getting every penny worth out of sata 1

as far as compatibly it's like pcie 1.0 vs 2.0 a gpu that is 2.0 can work on a pcie bus that is 1.0 it should just adjust to run at 1.0 speeds, same simplified compatibility is done on sata.
!