MSI K8N neo2 platinum 54 lacks "overclock warning"?

Hi!

I've just started overclocking, and I was just wondering whether or not this mainboard has the warning just after power-up where you get a message that the clock is too high (before bios), and it automatically resets the clock to default values.

What happens is that I experiment with clock settings (the FSB-thingy) like anyone else, but when I go too high, the bios won't load and I'm stuck with a black screen (no "post-boot"). Then I have to use the CMOS jumper to reset bios, which takes forever to get to because there's two PCI cards in the way that I have to unscrew first, so I'm pretty tired of having to reset the bios. Where's my "safety catch"?

I found it a bit odd that the board doesn't have it, seeing as it was quite a favourite "high end" board among critcs in 04/05, also in the overclocking department. Have I turned off the message by accident, or what?

And oh, I have bios 1D, I think the latest one only changed "CPU ID" or something, thought it was just support for new CPUs, so I haven't bothered, as flashing is risky in itself.

Thanks for help in advance! :hello:

Edit: Trying to overclock AMD64 3500+
with
OCZ premium 1024mb ram, w/some good timings
Chieftech 550W
MSI K8N neo2 platinum 54
1 answer Last reply
More about neo2 platinum lacks overclock warning
  1. best thing to do would be to go to the msi website and look at the features of your board to see if it actually has it. but i believe that sort of feature wasn't common around that time.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking BIOS