Sign in with
Your question

Onboard LAN / Router not working when changing the FSB

Last response: in Overclocking
September 29, 2009 1:11:00 PM

Hi, whenever I overclock my FSB in the bios from 200 to 265, my router (connected by the onboard LAN) doesn't work properly and I can't connect to the internet.
The CPU is a Celeron E1200 and my motherboard is a Foxconn 6627MA. The manual says it can handle 1066Mhz* when overclocked and a seperate gfx card is install (using a 7900GS) which leads my to ask;

1. Is it safe to frequently changing the FSB in the bios? at the moment I'm having to reset the PC and change the settings every time I want to play Burnout Paradise with better performance (plus, I can't play online when overclocked).

2. If I was to upgrade to a better CPU which has a 1066Mhz FSB as standard, would I not be able to use the onboard LAN socket?

3. If I bought a PCI LAN card for my router would I still have the same problems when running at 1066Mhz, does it effect the PCI slots too?

The motherboard bios is up to date and I have smooth overclocking enabled, and every other onboard device works fine; audio, USB, etc...

I'm pretty satisfied with my setup but I would like to be able to play Burnout Paradise without having to change the bios every time, and I'm not sure if I risk damaging the motherboard from changing the bios settings so often.

Thanks for any help, I have searched everywhere and haven't been able to find any answers, hence the post, I'm hoping more experienced overclockers might have run into a similar problem and might have some solutions.

Cheers!
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2009 7:39:26 PM

You need to look for two options:
"PCIE clock" and it needs to be set to 100 or 101.
"Auto Detect PCI Clk" needs to be set to disabled.

Make sure spread spectrum is off too.

If the problems continue, you may have to disable the smooth overclock. Not sure what it does, but I am always wary of motherboard makers when they decide to have an "Easy overclock" tool added to the BIOS. They tend to not work as advertised.
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2009 7:47:04 PM

Sorry I jumped the gun and got straight to the big answer. To answer the other questions:
1) It is safe, theoretically.
2) Changing CPU won't make a difference since the PCI or PCIe bus is being overclocked (that's why the LAN is crapping out. The other features ie USB etc are tougher I guess)
3) Buying another card could work, but may not. A USB adapter would probably work if the USB is working when you OC.
Related resources
October 2, 2009 1:15:26 PM

Thanks for your help festerovic, I tried your suggestions but the Lan connection still isn't working when OC'd (it says "limited or no connectivity"). I'll try one of those LAN to USB converters and see how that works out.

My main concern was changing the bios setting too often might damage some components, but I guess it's no worse than having it overlocked all the time.

If I do upgrade the cpu (with my current motherboard) I'll probably go for one with an 800MHz FSB like an E4400-E4600, that would be good enough for me at stock speeds (plus the bigger L2 cache would help and I still have the option of oc'ing the FSB).

I'll try the Lan-USB adapter first as thats the cheaper option, thanks again.
November 16, 2009 7:40:49 PM

A quick update, incase anyone else runs into a similar problem.

I bought a USB to LAN adapter and my internet connection works fine now when overclocked, thanks again festerovic for the suggestion.

I don't think the Foxconn 6627ma motherboard is meant for overclocking though as my pc froze up a few times up and afterwards both ram sticks had errors in memtest and other diagnostic tools.
The ram was cheap 1GB ddr2 553 (£7/per stick new) and even though I didn't OC the ram it somehow knackered it.
I think I'll stick to stock speeds and playing freecell for now, heheh.
!