Some different build questions...

rakoth

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I have a few build questions that are a little different from the norm (I hope).

The build - my first - is going to replace a Dell Dimension 4600 which has served my wife/kids well over the years (with some upgrades along the way). It will mainly be used for gaming (World of Warcraft), video processing and some photo editing. I also want to try overclocking it once it is up and running, more out of self interest than need.

The components I'm considering are:

CPU: Intel Q6600
GPU: Radeon HD4850 512Mb (only one)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45
Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 + bracket
RAM: 4 x 2 Gb DDR2-800
PSU: P&C S61EPS 610W or Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W
Hard Drive: 2 x Seagate 7200.11 500Gb or 2 x WD SE16 WD6400AAKS 640Gb (the second drive mirrors the first)
DVD-RW: Not sure. Will probably steal the Lite-On from my Dell and add a second one from another manufacturer.
Case: Antec Nine Hundred

I'm still in the planning stages so nothing will be ordered for a few weeks. Also, I don't have a hard budget but I figure I can build this for less than $1500 easily if I watch for bargains.

Now my questions:

1. With five fans in the build (PSU, CPU and 3 in the case), how noisy is the unit going to be even when not overclocked? I know that's hard to quantify but I'm concerned about it sounding like a turboprop plane.

2. Would swapping in other fans on the case make things quieter? If so, can someone suggest good replacements.

3. Aside from tools, what other items do I need for assembly, e.g., thermal paste, mounting brackets, velcro, tie wraps, etc. I want everything in hand before I start the build.

4. A friend suggested putting the OS on a separate smaller drive as it helps the disk I/O throughput for video work. Is there a noticable gain by doing this?

I think that's it. Thanks.

You probably want a certified PSU:

ATI Radeon HD 4850 System Requirements

450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products.

1. You can set the Antec 900 on 3 different speeds. It's not that noisy.
I have one.

3. You might need an extra SATA cable, if the DVD-RW is SATA.
You might want to pick up some Arctic Silver or Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal compound, unless you want to use what comes with the cooler, normally white paste.

4. Having a hard drive or partition for the operating system separate from your files is recommended, in case the operating system goes bad.

nh484000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
i think that wearing a wrist bracelet is being over protective. there's really no reason to wear it as along as you are carefully and aren't running around the house in winter with wool socks on and dont ground yourself before working on it.

I really recommend getting some decent thermal paste. like arctic silver. its pricey but worth its weight in sliver (it is silver)

i see that you are planning on setting up a RAID 1 configuration. I belive that you will need a floppy drive to install the drivers unless you can now use a USB drive but im not too sure maybe someone can tell you that

rakoth

Distinguished
May 16, 2008

I've thought about going RAID 1 but will probably just use Acronis True Image to create a bootable image of the main disk.

Looks reasonable.
1) Noise primarily comes from running fans at high speed. I think you will be able to keep everything on low.
2) Antec fans are ok. You might want a 120mm fan for the front.
3) Even though a cooler might include some thermal paste, I would get a tube of as5 or mx-2. You might want to remount the cooler. You need to use new paste if you do.
Have a bootable cd of memtest86+ available. It is the first test to run, even before loading the OS.
I found a magnetic tip #2 long phillips head screwdriver to be invaluable in mounting the mobo, and other parts. Just be careful where you put the tip.
4) I wouldn't bother putting the os on it's own drive or partition. Put your input files on one drive, and your output results on the other drive for best performance. Don't bother with Raid of any type. Just be certain to back up your important data to an EXTERNAL device.