no more R4850 512m at newegg :(

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
There is a chance that the item was deactivated because it is out of stock, or they may be packaging it slightly differently and will re-post the new item soon. I would check back in a week or two if you absolutely must have that particular card.

Also, the difference between Sapphire, MSI, HIS and other such companies is only the sticker and fan on the card. The graphics card itself is the exact same.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I looked for the HIS with the IceQ cooler but also couldn't find it. I hope it's just being repackaged.

@Lasttarget: I'm oretty sure $165 after MiR
@njalterio: I know it's the same card I just want one with a good reliable aftermarket fan, and I don't want to have to worry about crappy customer service in the event something does go wrong.

Anyway thanks for replying, this was more of a self pity post tan anything else.

Tc17

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I received my MSI R4850-512M a couple days ago. I like the design of it very much. However I have one complaint with it, and it has to do with the fact the fan spins over 2800rpm just idle. I see no need for it to be spinning that fast idle. It does make the gpu temperature 43c at idle, but I'd rather have it spin slower.

When playing a game, it randomly switches between 2800rpm to 3500rpm (which is what annoys me the most, as the sound is louder and annoying due to it constantly switching between the two rpms. It doesn't go over 60c at full load.

It seems every new generation of video cards just get hotter and hotter. They are going to have to think something new up for cooling in the next generation, in my opinion. With my 3870 card, and a Zalman fan on it, I could run it at 1000rpm and it was cool and silent. I can't do that with the 4850 cards... I tried.

EDIT: I was able to make it much quieter by doing the fan profile mod. Only instead of like the normal 4850 cards, I had to do just the opposite and slow the fan down. It cools the same temperature at idle, even at the slower fan speed. And is only a few degrees higher at full load.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
^Nice find and at $30 it wouldn't be much more than most of the other dual slot 4850s. I thought ncixus was canadian though, do they ship to the US?

I just checked and the MSI one is no longer deactivated but is out of stock. So I'm happy. I still need like $50 anyway.

Tc17

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
The problem with that Accelero Turbo, is it looks like it still takes up 3 slots in your case. I know I will never install a 3rd party cooler on any card again, after having ruined my previous 4850, installing an S1 on it.

It looks like Newegg has an ETA of 9/10 for the MSI card. You can also click their auto notify.

I don't trust the back of the card on the MSI cooling solution...

I don't know much about that anyway, but i've seen good cooling solutions that come with the "back" cooler for the card.

Esop!

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Believe it or not, I bought that exact same Sapphire card (original posters choice) and am RETURNING IT!

It was very cool, but it was WAY too loud and you CANNOT control the fan speed.

I am a little upset. Bought a bone stock 4850 and am playing with the fan speeds, cannot hear it under idle, which is what I wanted (60C and I still need to get a fan to go under it).

If I could have controlled the fan speed on the Sapphire, I would have kept it with no hesitation.