fan failure on 4850

chrisradio

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
so after having my old nvidia 7900GTO fail on me i decided to go all out and upgrade - due to the amount of conflicts i had with the NV4 disp drivers i went for a sapphire ATI radeon 4850...
for the first few hours it seemed fantastic (and much quieter than i expected...) i soon realised that the gpu was at 100 celsius at idle and then realised that the quietness was due to the fan not spinning at all...
At the moment im using a makeshift room fan to blow into the open case and ive managed to get in down to 60 celsius - i knew id one day be able to use a room fan in the uk...
Ive tried the xml fix by using a profile and manually change the fan speed but that doesnt do anything for me - the fan still does not spin.

My specs are:
intel core 2 duo E6600
2GB corsair RAM
Sapphire ATI 4850
plus ive only got one hard drive wired in

could this be a power problem - im using a jeantech 500W psu? am i right in assuming there is only one 6 pin power connector for the gpu?

Any help would be appreciated

Welcome to the forums!

RMA the card or get an aftermarket cooler.
There is only one 6 pin connector on the 4850.
Jeantech PSU is not a great PSU to my knowledge. If you value your investment, I would get a Corsair or AMD certified power supply.

ATI Radeon HD 4850 System Requirements

450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (550 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Wow! They're actually sending a van?! That's some retailer. Usually they just make you mail it. :p