Toms article fastest 3D cards go head to head!...Biased?

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
It cannot be a complete roundup without the 4870x2 two 4870's in cf have been proven time and time again to be slower than a single 4870x2!

Also they use old 8.6 driver's instead of the new 8.8 drivers! Now when i was trying to read the article it dissapeared off the website?

Anyone else kinda tired of these supposed complete articles?

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Yep it's back for me now as well.

IDK after reading the article i came away feeling annoyed? Ive never even owned an ATI card all my cards have been Nvidia but when a site appeares to be blatantly biased toward one company wether its ATI or Nvidia it really takes away from the experience.

I've owned both nVidia and ATI cards over the years, so i'm not particular to one brand or the other. But i think you are reading too much into the article to called it biased. I thought it was overall fairly presented and reached a reasonable conclusion.

nVidia fans might have to suck it up and realize that ATI has the best bang for the buck and dollar/performance with the 48xx series of cards.

themyrmidon

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Whaaaa!
Seriously, if you want to cry go to the Inquirer or something. Toms has done several other articles where they believed the ATI line to be superior, in this test it just so happens that the GTX260 overall just barely topped the HD4870. We all know that these two are virtual equals, just usually the 4870 comes out ahead by a hair. There was nothing biased about this article at all. (yes, I do think they should have included the 4870 X2, but that is a minor misgiving)

Just had a quick scan of the article and on the whole i think its quite fair, Its not Toms fault that Nvidia have a bigger product base than ATI. However i do think that even though i cant see anywhere where they claim it to be a complete round up (remember i did say i only scanned it quickly) the cards should really be in there. And we dont really need the whole Nvidia range, do we ?
I do see where you are coming from but then again this is slight compared to some i have seen as far as biassed goes. I recently read a review where the tester was lording the 48** cards to the heavens, and how the 4850 keeps up with Nvidia cards it wasnt even aimed at. The thing was his whole review and testing was based on how they ran Call of Juarez. Thats it just that and Vantage. Fair ? I think not :fou: Now if you want to talk inaccurasies and mistakes then i dont think any do it better than Toms.

Mactronix

It probably was a complete review.... when it was firstpublished Aug 5th on the German site.
http://www.tomshardware.com/de/Geforce-GTX-260-Geforce-GTX-280-Radeon-HD-4850-Radeon-HD-4870-Grafikkarten,testberichte-240118.html

This BS of re-packaging the Euro reviews and re-posting them on the US site is crap.

24 fricking days! That's a driver release and over 3 weeks later.

Considering it takes days to test, write and vet, these tests were likely run at the end of July, making it woefully outdated.

It explains, but doesn't excuse the article.

If they can't get it translated and re-written within 48-72 hours, then don't bother re-publishing it here, it just makes THG look out of touch with the countless other reviews out there using Cat 8.8 and HD4870X2 card. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

It's not biased, it's just Freakin' UBER Late, and that's extremely unproffesional IMO. [:thegreatgrapeape:2]

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
If they are all MSI cards, then MSI must have given/loaned them the cards for the tests and failed to supply a 4870X2? :kaola: On NewEgg I only see two ATI 4000 cards: 4850 and 4870X2. What gives? :p

This is obviously a very limited review of some MSI cards.

We are all waiting for THG to update their VGA charts.

However, it doesn't look like THG has the funds to do full unbiased tests anymore.

EDIT: I posted this before seeing TheGreatGrapeApe's above post. I agree with the ape.

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Article is meant to confuse unaware buyers... see the scrores mixed up.. by confusing costumers...people will tend to buy brand name...its a fact geforce is more popular in my country... people will even buy 8600gt over hd3870...just because its Geforce...

I agree with Ape on this one. This whole article diminishes the Canadian/US?Mexican and South Americans who use this site. Make a move Toms, and get up to date. I do believe we have very capable people here who can write these reviews here, and itd be much more timely. Im also hoping, unless its breakthru stuff, that they dont dump US articles over the pond almost a month out of date

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

Yeah im more annoyed at the fact they left out alot from this article that should have been included! How can you publish this article now fully knowing that newer cards and updated drivers have been released?..Honestly i dont think tom's is biased but i do wonder at times why they do what they do?

And to Ape

I agree people are going to come on this site now and see that a 9800gtx is faster than a 4850 and 4870 and buy it for 20-30$ more than a 4850 costs!

Grrrr

If you do such a test, at least have a consortium work on it. I know it wont be exactly the same, even with exactly the same componants, but itd get done in a timely manner. We get left over outdated trash from Europe. Nice. And already its catching flack from other sites. Showing the 8800gt beating G260 in sli even. I question their abilities as testers/reviewers. This is truly a disservice to Toms, and all its US/Canadian readers.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed Tom's quality going down the drain lately. This is a great example of the low quality review's they've put out lately. What is the point of even completing the review when you know full well that the CPU is completely bottlenecking the system? I think it's funny how their charts show SLI having lower performance a lot of the time since they don't have a CPU that can power these cards. Hey Tom's - maybe you should consider upgrading your hardware before putting out a horrible review like this. And what's up with using the Catalyst 8.6 drivers? If it takes them over a month to get a review out, maybe they shouldn't bother.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

Indeed, the testing is obviously either totally out in **** left field or they simply just MADE UP A BUNCH OF NUMBERS.

I hate to say it, but I think the second option is more likely.