Sign in with
Your question

How can I re-install win 7 without deleting one partition?

Last response: in Storage
December 31, 2009 9:58:44 PM

hi all.

i have 4 partition on my HD, C, D, E, F.

I'd like to keep the content on F and reformat C, D and E while re-installing Windows 7.

do you know how i can accomplish this??

thanks all,

December 31, 2009 11:23:16 PM

Well, it sounds simply like that.

Using your existing Windows installation, copy all the files you want preserved in Drive F.

Then on installation of Windows 7, use the installation options to format drives, C, D, and E.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 114 G Storage
December 31, 2009 11:24:04 PM

I'd approach this by formatting D and E from windows (assuming Win is on C) ...then install windows on C telling it to format when prompted.
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
December 31, 2009 11:38:37 PM

Jack's idea is not a bad one. There's no guarantee that the Windows install kit will see the partitions as the same drive letters that full Windows does, particularly if the drive letters have been changed using the Disk Management MMC. Therefore you need to use extreme caution when deleting partitions during a Windows install, particularly since at that time there's no way to look into a partition to see what files it has.
m
l
January 1, 2010 11:51:05 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I'd approach this by formatting D and E from windows (assuming Win is on C) ...then install windows on C telling it to format when prompted.

thx jack!

so i assume that means putting the Windows installation CD in and restart/boot with it. Install and clean wipe C: during the process?
m
l
!