Fan air flow direction

Hi,

Quick question. What is generally better, having a fan blowing air into the case or out of the case?
I have many small holes on the side panel and since i am thinking that blowing is easier and more efficient that sucking air, would it be better to let cooler air enter the case and exit through the side panel holes?

I am asking since the stock m8400 HP that i got has the main fan blowing out and the PNY 8800 GT (512) that i have is 65-70 in idle when the panel is closed. What would be best way of cooling it quietly and keeping the case closed?

Also, are the only connectors for the PNY 8800GT are the power and the PCI express?
I mean there are alot of other possible connectors but i dont know if i am supposed to connect something to them. The original 8500GT that came with the ocmputer had another two black and white cables connected to it, am i supposed to connect the black and white cable somewhere?

Thank you very much!!!!!
9 answers Last reply
More about flow direction
  1. Generally speaking modern computer cases are equipped with more than one case fan. The general rule of thumb is to have the fans set up so that some fans blow air into the case and some fans blow air out of the case. The idea is to increase air flow for improved cooling. A typical set up usually has a fan or fans blowing air into the case at the bottom front and a fan or fans blowing air out of the case at the top rear.

If you only have one fan like we did in the good old days, the fan normally was mounted on the rear panel of the case and blew hot air out the back.

I am not familiar with the PNY 8800GT. Perhaps someone else can answer your question.
  2. Thank you,

I do have only 1 fan, if i place a fan onto the side panel (i think i can mount it nicely) would i be able to hook up the second fan to the same electrical port as the first one ? (i will modify it to create a Y connection)
  3. Yes, you can use a "y adapter" to connect both fans to the same port on your power supply. It is a common solution. The "y adapter" for case fans is readily available from vendors on line and computer stores like Fry's Electronics and Radio Shack in the USA.

Do not connect both fans to a single fan port on your motherboard. Those ports are designed for one fan only. Modern motherboards usualy have several such ports. Each one powers a single fan.
  4. JohnnyLucky said:
    Yes, you can use a "y adapter" to connect both fans to the same port on your power supply. It is a common solution. The "y adapter" for case fans is readily available from vendors on line and computer stores like Fry's Electronics and Radio Shack in the USA.

Do not connect both fans to a single fan port on your motherboard. Those ports are designed for one fan only. Modern motherboards usualy have several such ports. Each one powers a single fan.

xelonth JohnnyLucky is correct good air flow is a must in computers now a days the gpu,cpu,northbridge hd,etc can generate a fair amount of heat,moving that heat out correctly is important.
  5. Thank you very much for your help, i have already checked out a few fans and will try to design a flow system. Find a good spot for the fan. Maybe cut a few holes to fit the fan through.

Could anyone recommend a good and powerful fan thats very quiet (silent).
    I would go for low noise levels over RPM and efficiency (better get two low noise than one high efficiency). If one of you could actually recommend a fan from canadacomputers.com since this is the only place where i would be able to get it from.

Thank you once again!
  6. Here you go:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014034&cid=FN.505

The Scythe S-Flex series is very good. For general purpose use the 1200rpm fan should be just fine. Bump it up to the 1600rpm fan if you need more air flow and cooler temperatures.
  7. Air in and air out.
    Front to back.
    Bottom to top.
    That's the best air flow arrangement I have found.
    I use 2 cases, the Antec 900 and 300.
  8. I mounted a 360mm fan on the side of my case blowing on the motherboard. 120mm Noctua exhausting rear and one exhausting at the top. the fan is pretty quiet at 600 rpm and 120's cant begin to match the output.
  9. I really appreciate all your help guys.

I guess i will buy two fans and mount one at the top back where there is one already and the other on the side of the panel since i have no place to put it at the front. And will have it blowing air in directly at the GPU.

Thank you all once again!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Fan Components