Problem with Running XP in new System

sivi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Built a new system with ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 MB, Phenom II X6 CPU, and 4 Gb DDR3 memory. Had problems running XP - need to run XP because of expensive legacy peripherals and no Win 7 drivers. The following is a summary of many installations of XP (and Win 7 on separate, fresh HD).

Windows XP ran EXTREMELY slow - 3 frames per second (measured). A fresh reinstall with different and known to be good GeForce card gave same results - 3 frames /s. Totally useless! To checkout system, on a separate HD I installed Windows 7 Pro. Using this as the only drive , Windows 7 ran at 660 frames per second! Why the extreme difference?
Additional info.: Win XP ran perfectly normal with internal, (on MB) GPU!
No help from ASUS - hope somebody has an answer for me, PLEASE?!

sivi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Thank you! Yes, I now believe that an update of BIOS and/or drivers might be the answer. I downloaded the latest BIOS from ASUS website, but when I unzipped the file, there were 2 corrupt files. Downloaded 2nd time with the same results, therefore I am afraid to do the BIOS update, specially since I have never done it before. I need to speak to ASUS Tech support and see if the corrupt files are critical.

If anyone has also experienced the problem of XP not running with good graphics cards, but running perfectly with the built in motherboard graphics, I would like to hear from you.

sivi

sivi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Problem is that on the new MB, XP runs perfectly with Biult in ATI grapgics, butv does not with 2, known to be good NVIDIA
Type graphics cards with ATI drivers uninstalled And NVIDIA drivers installed!

Thanks for the vote, but it may have been a bit premature.

You need to look at your BIOS settings and make sure the internal graphics is disabled. Make sure the first (or primary display) is set to the external Nvidia cards. It may say PCIe or something similar.

sivi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Thank you. All that you mention was done numerous times with no better results. I even flashed the BIOS with the latest version and installed the latest GPU drivers but no luck. XP still ruins extremely slow (unusable) with video cards in PCIe slots even at x8 let alone x16

Put in an official request to ASUS about this problem. They promised an answer within 48 hrs but it now has been 96 hours without an answer. Will contact them again. It must be a motherboard problem!

sivi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
hi

Did you update your graphic drivers to the latest version?

Yes, updated video drivers, flashed latest Bios - still no improvement. XP runs perfectly on internal (MB) graphics, but does not when ANY, known to be good video card (and drivers) are installed.

Got a reply from ASUIS who do not understand and blame memory, power, cpu temperature etc. Those issues are not the answer because XP runs perfectly (as well as Win 7) on internal graphics. They finally admitted that it could be the motherboard itself if I can show that the other issues are not the problem - and they are not! Will contact ASUS RMS department for motherboard replacement.

Thanks

sivi

sivi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
hi

Did you update your graphic drivers to the latest version?

Yes updated video driver to latest version; flashed BIOS to latest version; went into Safe Mode, interesting - the XP seemed to run faster, almost normal speed. This would indicate driver problem(s) or some XP updates. Will uninstall Win XP SP3 from Safe Mode, if possible, since in normal mode this would take many hours. I am at TOTAL loss- no more ideas - maybe try another version of XP? I have Xp Home edition. Baffled, to say the least!

sivi

sivi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Did you do the Sfc /purgecache in windows? Not safe mode normal windows?

Then please do the following for me.

After you've done the purgecache and reboot press F8 for safe mode. But don't choose xp or anything. CHOOSE the BOOTLOGGING option. Windows will reboot. Let it boot up normally into windows. Now look in the windows directory for a file called boot.log. If its not there use search to find it. Then open it with notepad and copy and paste the contents here

I did everything you suggested to remove the internal graphics (ATI) video driver. Even went into Registry and deleted all entries that contained "ATI" - and there were ATI entries even after using Microsoft "add or remove". Also used "driver sweeper", purge etc. Still no improvement in XP running EXTREMELY slow. Decided to start all over.

Re-formatted HD - installed XP and it looked normal. However, I first installed the GeForce 460 files - running normally. To make the story short, the culprit was a entry on ASUS disk labeled "Chipset driver" which had nothing to do with chipset - it was the internal ATI graphics installation. So, ATI drivers became impossible to remove by all means suggested by the readers of this forum! Why did ASUS call it ATI graphics intallation files "Chipset drivers?" It looks like the only way to remove ATI files was by formatted HD and re-installing XP without the "Chipset" entry. XP now runs as it should! ASUS cost me weeks of frustration. Why ASUS did not call it "ATI graphics installation"???. They will hear from me!

Thank you all who gave me many suggestions which, unfortunatly did not remove ATI files - have no idea where they were hiding. Shame on ASUS!