Again, no ocing for Lynnfield? Locked base clock

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
not that I could understand a word in that article, but isn't the multiplier the thing that we will be varying in the new chips....?

Yea, the multi CAN do it, if its also not locked. You may just have turbo and thts it on the cheaper end of Intel, as the base clock will be locked, and have not way to change it. Supposedly, theyve removed not only the NB, but also 4 pins. I heard this rumor way back, and now its sprung back up again. And the one Id heard was specific to Lynnfield, except Id also heard that the fastest Lynnfoeld may be a bit diffrent

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

You mean IMC? No, Lynnfield does have IMC. They just don't have QPI.

And, not having QPI makes them dumb, or unalterable, according to what Ive heard

@ roadrunner, youre the one calling me an idiot. I asked you to provide links about an oceed Lynnfield. Youd just prefer to name calling and not produce? I could be wrong here, as this is rumored, but as a rumor, it cant be FUD, as a rumor is a rumor until proven otherwise. I asked you to prove it otherwise? Im just trying to get down to brass tacs here, and you start flinging names. Again, links?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Actually no. Not having QPI means CPU also has integrated graphics controller (not GPU themselves). That is, Lynnfield will have directly link to the PCI-E. This means better data transfer, and higher graphical performance (less latency). However it should have no effect on the clocking themselves. Afterall, CPU clockspeed and IMC can be both overclocked.

I have no idea what your source was smoking.

Not having QPI does not make the CPU clock speed unalterable. QPI is not linked to the clock speed itself, just like with Phenom where HTT is no longer linked to the clock speed but is not independant.

Therefore the clock speed itself is set by the base clock and the multi. When you OC a Bloomfield the QPI will stay the same it will not change. If Lynnfield does not have QPI then it will rely on the same FSB I imagine to link the CPU to everything else (except the PCIe link which will be on the CPU and the memory). With the IMC and integrated graphics controller this will allow the FSB more bandwidth for everything else.

But still we have to wait and see a actual Lynnfield. Its not even slated until 2009 so there will be more rumors than fact until end of this year beginning of the next year.

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Oh dear, 9 months from release and already the rumours are flying.

I heard the same things about Bloomfield too, that only the EE would be overclockable. When that was proven false, the next rumour was that the non EE's could be overclockable, but only by a limited amount as the reference clock was apparently not stable past 150MHz. Then someone overclocked it to 200MHz...

So I guess there is no more FUD left for Bloomfield, so onto Lynnfield we go... I imagine its gonna be a long 9 months at Fudzilla and Inquirer land, they're gonna have a field day with new rumours left right and centre. :lol:

Well, guess we will have to wait this one out, and see what happens. This arch is too new to determine exactly how everything effects everything else, and I know Lynnfield will have a few less options to it, but how that effects ocing who knows? The rumors persist, and Im not trying to spread them, but Im also not excepting rumors its business as usual for these chips.

Early on it was supposedly Nehalem period that wouldnt oc, then it was switched to Lynnfield, and that was the last Id heard about it, until again, these little hints keep showing up. Maybe itll oc, but instead of running at 133, itll run at 100 and oc to 140. That sounds good, 40%, but its really only 5% more than its big brother at stock clocks. But like I said, we will have to wait and see