I7 920 with 12GB 1600mhz ddr3, HELP with system stability issues!!!

HH89

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Hey guys,

First time posting here, what a great community y'all have here. =)

Anyways, I recently purchased a prebuilt computer with the current components:

Asus P6T (regular) Motherboard.
Core i7 920 2.67ghz processor.
12gb (two sets of triple channel 3x2gb sticks) OCZ ddr3 1600mhz low voltage ram (1.65v).
2x Asus EAH4850 Video cards
Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler
Antec 850W PSU
1TB WD harddrive which I have the OS installed on.
2TB WD harddrive for storage.
There are 5 fans installed (not counting the 2 GPU fans or the PSU Fan - a total of 8 fans if I were to count those in as well)
Case is a Thermaltake Armor+ VH600.

I've never overclocked in the past so please bear with me here.

From what I've read so far, the core i7 920 can only run 1333mhz/1600mhz+ ram if I manually tweak (overclock) the cpu clock speeds (is this refered to as the "blck"?) so that the CPU clock speed is twice as much as the Dram Frequency??? (correct me if im wrong)

So in otherwords, to run the ram I have at its rated 1600mhz, 7-7-7-24 timings I have to overclock the CPU to at least 3.2ghz? to run stable? correct? (again, plz correct me if im wrong).

Anyways, I checked the BIOS settings and the people who built my computer had only set the dram frequency manually to 1600mhz at 7-7-7-24 timings with a Dram Bus Voltage of 1.66V and left everything else at "Auto".

Anyways, heres the problem:

This computer I recently bought has been running into stability issues. I would be doing some database work on it, importing information into a database, and it would bsod/restart on me once every 3-4 hrs. It also BSOD'd on me several times whenever I tried running Windows update after a fresh reformat. But I was able to get past this problem by installing all the chipset drivers first before running windows update on a fresh reformat (perhaps it was just a temporary solution?).

So, I decided to run stress/stability tests on it to test the system's stability.

Running Prime95 64bit (blend test) within 2 minutes errors would show up, then within 5 minutes my computer would just restart itself. I ran this about 4-5 times each with the same results (I would get maybe 2-4 errors during the test before the computer would restart itself). Keep in mind I have not done any overclocking at all for the processor, nor have I changed any of the voltage settings (everything is still set to auto), the only thing that has been set higher then default settings are the ram settings, which again the builders of the computer had to set at 1600mhz, 7-7-7-24 timings manually. From what I understand, a Core i7 920 is supposed to default run the ram at 1066mhz settings, correct?

So anyways, the Prime95 test was a huge fail.

Is this a result of bad hardware? Perhaps faulty CPU or memory? Or am I supposed to key in the clock speeds/voltage settings manually for everything if the ram settings are already keyed in manually.. in order to run this system stable?

Also, are the computer restarts while running Prime95 due to my CPU overheating? Which is why I can't finish the test? I was observing the temps for the CPU using PC Probe during those tests and it would go up to about the 63-68C range before the comp would restart. Does the P6T mobo have some sort of CPU temperature threshold where it will restart the computer if it detects the CPU temperature going over 68C for example? Or are those temperatures normal while running this test? For what its worth, my idle cpu/mobo temperatures are about 42/39 respectively.

So the next test I ran was Super PI. Within 2-3 min and error would come up. I ran it twice, the first time it would just encounter a windows error and force me to shutdown the program after I closed the error box. The 2nd time a "rounding error" came up.

Third, I ran Intel Burn Test. I just ran the test at "standard settings" and it ran to completion successfully. I have yet to try this test at a higher setting. Will probably try this test again sometime later today.

Based on this computer's specs and these results, does anyone know what could possibly be causing these stability issues?

I am currently running Memtest86+ V4.00 on it. So far it has run for 3 hours (2 passes) with 0 errors. Will leave this on over night then post the results here. However, to be honest, I'm not sure if i'm using it correctly (and by that I mean I'm not sure if i'm running a thorough enough test using it?). All I did was just boot it off the CD and let it do its thing, I did not change anything in the configurations. Am I supposed too?
Anyone with experience in this, please let me know. =)

Anyways, any suggestions as to what I should do to try to solve this problem? I figure I should try testing things out on my own before sending this back to their testing department, since its a huge pain in the ass to send it back.

From what I've read, I'm supposed to be able to run Prime95 for over 24hrs to be sure of a stable system. Right now I can't even run it for more then 5 minutes without the test failing or the computer restarting.

Again, I did not overclock and to be honest I know next to nothing about OCing (other then what I've read on several OCing forums), so if possible, would like to avoid OCing the processor and possibly voiding the warranty??

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
- Carl

HH89

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
sorry for the long post,

Cliff notes:

core i7 920 processor
12gb ddr3 1600mhz ram.
2x asus eah4850

Current bios configuration has the ram set at stock settings of 1600mhz, 7-7-7-24 timings and 1.66volts.
Everything else in the bios set to auto.

Prime 95 Stability test fails within 5 minutes with multiple errors coming up, computer restarts itself within 5 mins of running Prime 95.

Super Pi also errors within 5 mins of having it running.

Testing with Memtest86+ on default settings, so far its ran for 14hrs, 7 passes, with 0 errors. (any way to do a more thorough memtest86+ scan?).

Based on my situation, how would I go about diagnosing and fixing this problem?
Any solutions?

(I have the exact same problem happening on 2 computers which I bought with exact same specs, only difference is one has a 900watt PSU, the other a 850watt PSU).

The return process takes a really long time, so if possible if I could diagnose the problem and fix it without taking it back that would be preferable. The solution may be as simple as manually keying in the bios settings (clock speeds/voltage settings?) perhaps, which is what im wondering?

Kind regards,
- Carl

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Take out one set of memory, test. If it's good, test the other set. If it's good, reply back.

If one set is bad, test 2 modules (1 and 2). If it's good, test one of the good modules and the 3rd module (1 and 3). If it's good, test module 2 and 3 (most likely module 2 will be bad).

Be sure to read your motherboard's manual to ensure you're taking out the correct modules.

/agreed

One: The people you bought it from have an obligation to make it right - so why not give back the headache?

Two: If you play with it, then the people you bought it from can claim that *YOU* were the one who messed the computer up, and then refuse to support you.

G

I agree with the rest on take it back..... besides those timings are for a set of 3x2 and you will rarely ever get those timings once all 6 slots are filled and not at 1600mhz anyways try running them at 1400mhz and you should get stable at those timings at 1.65v. I personaly have 6x1gb @ 6-6-6-16 @1332mhz and destroy most all....lol

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You read wrong. The Engineering Samples wouldn't allow you to go over DDR3-1066 without overclocking BCLK, but the RETAIL processors allowed you to set the following speeds:
DDR3-800 (BCLK x3 xDDR)
DDR3-1066 (BCLK x4 xDDR)
DDR3-1333 (BCLK x5 xDDR)
DDR3-1600 (BCLK x6 xDDR)
DDR3-1866 (BCLK x7 xDDR)
DDR3-2133 (BCLK x8 xDDR)

So you can set DDR3-1600 without overclocking BCLK. It's not an Intel-endorsed speed, but it works fine.

No, you can leave the CPU at stock speed and set the memory ratio in BIOS to achieve DDR3-1600.

They should have also probably raised the Uncore voltage to around 1.35V

That depends on the motherboard and RAM. If the RAM is programmed as DDR3-1333, it will boot at DDR3-1333 by default. It's probably programed as DDR3-1066 however.

It's probably not bad RAM that's causing your crash. Is your CPU still running at 2.66 GHz?

G

thus if you run the I7 920 @ 4.66 or 222x21=4662mhz and memory @ 222x3=666 or 2:6 giving you DDR3@ 1332mhz or if you ran it at 222x4=888 or 2:8 giving you DDR3 @ 1776mhz so if you want to run memory at 1600mhz you need 200x4=800 or 2:8 giving you DDR3 @ 1600mhz or if you are on DDR2 then you would need FSB 400 1:1= 800 giving you DDR2@ 1600mhz

HH89

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Sup guys,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I was able to solve the problem.

Please refer to my posts on page 2 of this thread found here, for the solution:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/23767-i7-920-12gb-1600mhz-ddr3-help-system-stability-issues.html#post263529

Basically what I did was tweak the Dram Frequency down to 1333mhz, manually keyed in the Uncore Frequency to 2666mhz, and also keyed in the QPI Frequency to 5866 MT/s, then lowered the dram bus voltage to 1.64.

Ran Prime 95 Blend Test stable for a bit over 24 hrs.
Super PI finishes calculation with no errors as well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Ah, junk RAM then...or it needed more Uncore voltage.