Sign in with
Your question

Can I run 2 wireless routers on one DSL line with modem?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 26, 2009 10:16:05 PM

I have 1 belkin wireless router that is rated only at 54g "g" speed and a 2nd netgear wireless router that is a 300n "n" speed.
The problem is My family uses smaller items like PDA's and other electronic gadgets at only the 802.11b speeds and a older laptop that is only 802.11g speed. But I have a newer computer with 802.11N 300mbps speed. When I set up all to just 1 wireless router and set to be compatible with all devices it seems to slow down the 802.11N computer back to 802.11g speed.
I would like to setup one router to feed internet to/from older laptop and small devices to 802.11b/g mode and another different router to be setup for only 802.11N mode so that I can get full advantage of this newer higher speed mode. I need to know if this can be done. I was thinking about daisy chaining the wireless routers and turning DHCP off on the second router and give both routers different IP addresses. What do you all think?
August 27, 2009 11:28:59 AM

Yes it should work for you.
Turn off DHCP and NAT (router functions) in router 2 and use it as an access point.
Connect the two using LAN ports.

router 2
lan
^
lan
router 1
wan
^
modem
September 3, 2009 2:50:32 PM

Thank you guys for the info and I will give it a try this labor day weekend.
Related resources
!