Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hard Drive Inaccessible

Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2010 9:31:08 AM

I have a configuration of Intel DG33Fb with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor with 3 GB Ram and 3 HDD's(boot drive 1TB (80 and 851 GB), 500gb and 500gb) along with XFX 8600GT 512 Ram and 500 W of supply. recently I encountered a strange problem after that I cannot access my Hard Disk Drive.

The Hdd is their (shown) in BIOS but does not get displayed in the Windows.
Sequence of events after this happened.
1. Restart.
2. File index #### untraceble during boot time (40 file indexes lost).
3. Windows , the drive in which the indexes were lost showed 2.5 GB of data missing but no space freed up, the folder which had data loss was inaccessible.
4. I tried to defragment the drive from Disk Defragmenter drive not shown there. I tried defragmenting using System mechanic 5. Disk defragmentation froze in the middle of the process(space free on the drive was 192 MB on 500 Gb hdd having game images mostly 4gb and above).
5. Using task manager i ended the system mechanic process.
6. Restarted now that particular hdd is shown in BIOS but not in windows 7.
7. I formatted the system installed windows XP . now it wont boot till that particular drive is connected else it boots fine.

The problematic drive is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM HARD DISK DRIVE.

I m in deep deeep ***, The drive contains all my photos of my college life and my home photos(50 GB) and plus 200 gbs of software collection I collected in 4 to 5 years and 180 gb of games . I dont want to lose it all.
Please help. :( 
a b G Storage
January 1, 2010 3:08:38 PM

You might try the Dr. Freeware recovery tool (.

I haven't actually used it, but I tried installing the 5 meg windows tool. This is seems to be only for copying healthy partitions, and so you would have to download the full 300 meg live iso (listed as working 'offline') and burn it to a cd. The site looks helpful, and you should get some good tips reading through it. On the bottom of the free software tab they provide links to the trial versions of two commercial recovery programs, so you might try these also. You also might try sourceforge.net, under the storage category they have a data recovery tab. Hope this helps.
January 2, 2010 5:52:41 AM

Can anyone tell me another method ?? I do have recovery softwares other than these. Anyway I can recover the whole lot of data (entire hard drive ) ??
Related resources
January 2, 2010 3:30:53 PM

As the problem presents u have to try a scan the hard drives for so called "bad sectors".
January 3, 2010 1:01:27 AM

How can I scan for bad sectors ? The drive is not accessible in windows. How to scan for bad sectors without windows tell me a method ?
January 21, 2012 2:18:56 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!