Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD4870X2 OR GTX280

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 30, 2008 12:36:13 AM

Hey there

I am planning on gettin a new system, and i can't decide on a new graphics card, HELP!!

The 4870X2 i clearly faster in benches, but i am just worried about the dual gpu, microstuttering and how it will scale with new games if the driver team is 'behind'?? Don't wanna end up not being able to play Far Cry 2 and so on when it hits the street.

Sooo, the big question, HD4870X2 or GTX280 for 24" monitor??

Thanks

More about : hd4870x2 gtx280

August 30, 2008 12:53:02 AM

havvand said:
Hey there

I am planning on gettin a new system, and i can't decide on a new graphics card, HELP!!

The 4870X2 i clearly faster in benches, but i am just worried about the dual gpu, microstuttering and how it will scale with new games if the driver team is 'behind'?? Don't wanna end up not being able to play Far Cry 2 and so on when it hits the street.

Sooo, the big question, HD4870X2 or GTX280 for 24" monitor??

Thanks


They should both be enough for 24" monitor. 4870x2 does not suffer from microstuttering due to new design - bridge chip and shared ram. In any case, microstuttering is overblown. It's not as big a thing as fanboys made it out to be. Most people can't even notice it. It's just from Nvidia fanboys trying to put down the old 3870x2.

As for performance in Far Cry 2, it's not out yet so it's anyone's guess. The gtx280 did outperform 4870x2 in the first Far Cry. The second one may be different though. Chances are, either one should be enough.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4870_X2/...

If you want to save some money, consider 9800gx2.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
At $275, or $245 after mail in rebate, it cost far less than gtx280, but performs better, cost the same as single 4870, but perform far better. While 4870x2 outperforms it, although 9800gx2 cost half as much, less than half if you count in mir. Not bad for the second fastest card on market.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=13
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=14
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=15
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=16
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=17
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=18
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=19
August 30, 2008 1:03:50 AM

dagger said:
They should both be enough for 24" monitor. 4870x2 does not suffer from microstuttering due to new design - bridge chip and shared ram. In any case, microstuttering is overblown. It's not as big a thing as fanboys made it out to be. Most people can't even notice it. It's just from Nvidia fanboys trying to put down the old 3870x2.

As for performance in Far Cry 2, it's not out yet so it's anyone's guess. The gtx280 did outperform 4870x2 in the first Far Cry. The second one may be different though. Chances are, either one should be enough.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4870_X2/...

If you want to save some money, consider 9800gx2.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
At $275, or $245 after mail in rebate, it cost far less than gtx280, but performs better, cost the same as single 4870, but perform far better. While 4870x2 outperforms it, although 9800gx2 cost half as much, less than half if you count in mir. Not bad for the second fastest card on market.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=13
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=14
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=15
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=16
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=17
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=18
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=19


The 9800GX2 is the second fastest card on the market? I think you mean the third fastest after the 4870X2 and then the GTX 280.
Regardless, the OP asked about the 4870X2 and GTX 280.

@ OP: The 4870X2 soundly beats the GTX 280. It does cost $100 more, but it is worth it.
Related resources
August 30, 2008 1:04:53 AM

dagger said:
The gtx280 did outperform 4870x2 in the first Far Cry. The second one may be different though.

May be different? It's likely that Crysis will be the closest match to how Far Cry 2 will look and run.
August 30, 2008 1:11:58 AM

njalterio said:
The 9800GX2 is the second fastest card on the market? I think you mean the third fastest after the 4870X2 and then the GTX 280.
Regardless, the OP asked about the 4870X2 and GTX 280.

@ OP: The 4870X2 soundly beats the GTX 280. It does cost $100 more, but it is worth it.


Did you even check all the benchmarks I linked? 9800gx2 is faster than gtx280 by a clear margin. Even in ATI optimized games like Bioshock, where single 4870 outperforms gtx280, 9800gx2 is still ranked first above it. 4870x2 is the only single card that outperforms 9800gx2, nothing else. Gtx280 is a bad choice both performance wise and cost wise.

Also, as for 4870x2 soundly beat gtx280, it's certainly true on average, but not in every case across the board. Performance on different games can vary greatly. The following games are among the handful of exceptions:
Crysis:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1541/8/sapphire_radeon...
UT3:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1541/9/sapphire_radeon...
World in Conflict:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1541/10/sapphire_radeo...

Heyyou27 said:
May be different? It's likely that Crysis will be the closest match to how Far Cry 2 will look and run.


Keep in mind Far Cry 2 is developed by Ubisoft, not Crytek, and based on a different engine built from the ground up. So, Crysis's performance may not necessarily reflect Far Cry 2's.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2008 1:48:43 AM

Ive seen many a review show WiC numbers favoring the x2. Its only a matter of time those 2 or 3 games get driver updates. The 4870x2 is the newest card, not even 3 weeks old, and will see a far greater improvement regarding driver updates. As it is, currently, it dominates, and you have to cherry pick games that it doesnt dominate in. Given time, this will change. The 2x9800GTX has seen its day, as its the oldest of the three cards, and have received the largest amount of driver updates, which is more important in multi card or x2 cards than even single card, where youll see much greater improvements on them than single, and also being harder to do, but once done, great improvements
August 30, 2008 1:57:05 AM

The 9800GX2 is a great deal at the $230ish price range, no doubt about it. The 4850X2 should be able to soundly beat it though. I'm guessing it's going to be in the $350-375 range.

The new push on dual-gpu cards is pretty interesting. The old gen dual-gpu card only moved down one spot in the performance rankings. These things seem like they're going to have quite a long life. The only thing I wish the 9800GX2 did, was 2 GPUs on 1 PCB, instead of it's half-assed, redneck type design.
a c 143 U Graphics card
August 30, 2008 1:57:41 AM

Dagger has said it all...

I'd pick the GTX 280 in only one scenario: if you buy two of them and a 1200W PSU and a 780i motherboard. In that case you do have an advantage over two HD 4870X2 cards or over two 9800GX2 cards because drivers and games tend to support two GPUs better than 4. If you're not thinking of a crazy setup like that, get a HD 4870X2 or 9800GX2. Ideally, wait until the game is out so you can see which of these two does better in it. I think either would be fine.
August 30, 2008 2:08:45 AM

IndigoMoss said:
The 9800GX2 is a great deal at the $230ish price range, no doubt about it. The 4850X2 should be able to soundly beat it though. I'm guessing it's going to be in the $350-375 range.



soryr to burst your bubble, but it'll be around $450 =/

i checked...=[
August 30, 2008 2:17:18 AM

eklipz330 said:
soryr to burst your bubble, but it'll be around $450 =/

i checked...=[


Wtf? If that's the case, that makes no sense. While two 4850s are better than a 280GTX and a 9800GX2, if you go the Crossfire route, you can get 2 4850s and Crossfire them for only $320 if you have a Crossfire board. you could spend the premium of the 4850X2 and buy a x48 which will give you more features as well as Crossfire support.

I understand that the 4850X2 is supposed to be competing with the 280GTX, but come on. They could put it at $375 and still undoubtedly make a profit, while totally eating the 280GTX and for that price point, the 260GTX.

a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2008 2:35:37 AM

eklipz330 said:
soryr to burst your bubble, but it'll be around $450 =/

i checked...=[

Link? I havnt seen this. I call FUD
August 30, 2008 2:53:40 AM

I think FUD is a pretty extreme term when referring to a launch price of a gpu which isn't wholly unreasonable.

And i'm fully aware that you understand the meaning of that achronym.
August 30, 2008 3:12:04 AM

ovaltineplease said:
I think FUD is a pretty extreme term when referring to a launch price of a gpu which isn't wholly unreasonable.

And i'm fully aware that you understand the meaning of that achronym.


What does FUD stand for? :p 
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2008 3:16:35 AM

Well, I FEAR this cant be said. As I said with UNCERTANTY, that I DOUBT that this is the real price of this card. And I asked for a link. Anyone?
August 30, 2008 3:27:17 AM

You can rationalize it any way you want - I just believe applying a terminology like FUD to everything only diminishes the meaning of the statement.

This isn't my moral treatise to the word "fud" - however I think simply asking for a source as opposed to accusing someone of spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt (do you really even care if he makes up a price that isn't all that unreasonable to begin with?) is a touch over the top.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2008 3:31:52 AM

OK, I used the term simply because it does bring much uncertanty and doubt as to affordability per performance. Itll barely outperform a G280, which is already to be under 450$. I asked for a link, because the link had to be very old, or very spurious. This card releases in a couple weeks, and we will al know by then, but that shouldnt be hindered by speculation on price points without some kind of verifications for potential buyers. I myself could be wrong, but common sense tells me that 2 4850s cost as little as 300$, so why would such a card cost 50% more? Yes, the 4850 may well have more memory, but theres cost reductions making such a card as well, unless you sandwich such a card, like the 9800x2. Sorry if I offended, didnt mean to, just trying to make/bring sense here
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2008 3:35:59 AM

He said hed checked, so either the source is FUD, or as you said hes making it up, which isnt good rither, after claiming hed checked
August 30, 2008 4:20:21 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
OK, I used the term simply because it does bring much uncertanty and doubt as to affordability per performance. Itll barely outperform a G280, which is already to be under 450$. I asked for a link, because the link had to be very old, or very spurious. This card releases in a couple weeks, and we will al know by then, but that shouldnt be hindered by speculation on price points without some kind of verifications for potential buyers. I myself could be wrong, but common sense tells me that 2 4850s cost as little as 300$, so why would such a card cost 50% more? Yes, the 4850 may well have more memory, but theres cost reductions making such a card as well, unless you sandwich such a card, like the 9800x2. Sorry if I offended, didnt mean to, just trying to make/bring sense here


Pricing is more dependent on how much people are willing to pay, and less on the actual manufacturing cost. :p 
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2008 5:48:18 PM

True, but image is also important. Weve already seen that , havnt we? Whats the current attitude towards nVidia now with their old pricing? If it were the top card, Id say go for it, as its a premium card, and deserves premium price. But logic tells me this card has to compete with the G280 and maybe its 55nm refresh. As I said, you can already get a G280 for less than 450$, so whats the point of this card then? The only advantage at that price point is the single slot. All other advantages would be swept away. Lets assume it does come i at 450, then ATI will start looking like nVidia, as we all know, a CF version can be had for 50% less. Look at the 9800x2. nVidias dieing to sell these cards, but would they sell at 50% higher than 9800GTXs in sli? I expect to see 400$ for these cards, with lots of downward movement to stay competitive. Thats still a gashing, but understandable in my eyes as a new release, and making it the 2nd fastest card with no other competition out there, except the 9800x2, which hasnt been a great seller, otherwise the pricing wouldnt be as it is
!