AMD Narrows Quarterly Loss - Excites Investors

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081016/earns_amd.html?.v=4

AMD's shares jumped 40 cents, or 10 percent, to $4.52 in after-hours trading following the release of the results.

The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company on Thursday reported a loss of $67 million, or 11 cents per share, in the quarter. It lost $396 million, or 71 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter. The company has reported a string of steep losses in the last year as it struggles to compete with Intel and digested the acquisition of graphics-chip maker ATI.

Revenue rose 14 percent to $1.78 billion, helped by $191 million in technology licensing fees related to the earlier sale of older manufacturing equipment to a Russian company. Excluding the fees, revenue rose 1.7 percent.

Finally, some good financial news for AMD!

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

*sigh* Yeah, it was only about 75cents a gallon when I started driving :(. Could fill up the tank on my old AMC Alliance, and go for a week or two on less than $10. Gas is still way over priced even at current price per barrel being in the mid 70s. I've said it in other posts, analysts don't pay attention to the actual products out and how well they're selling. They go mostly by past financial performance. And over the past 2 years, it's been pretty bad. Now if they manage to get their Shanghai parts out this month, like it's supposedly suppose to, then that should help them even more of the next couple quarters. Not to mention after the Fab spin off, a lot of that debt will be goin away.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Dunno if I would call it good. Depends.....They were expecting to post a gain this quarter. Somewhere around $200 million, if I recall correctly, ostensibly from the sale of their 200nm equipment to a chinese company. If that was correct and the sale went through, that puts their 'real' losses at around $300 million.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
what a joke to call this best

ati has its best possible out come and they still lose $69 million?

intel is about unleash "hel" as russell crowe says in gladitor - nehalem is far worse then nvidia 8800 series to the merger

if intel buys nvidia then amd is really in trouble

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
what a joke to call this best

ati has its best possible out come and they still lose $69 million?

intel is about unleash "hel" as russell crowe says in gladitor - nehalem is far worse then nvidia 8800 series to the merger

if intel buys nvidia then amd is really in trouble

---------------- how true is this:

we all new 6 months ago the 4870 x2 as a killer

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Once AMD runs out of stuff to sell on ebay, then we have a problem.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

The whole last month leads me to believe that financial analysts are incompetent in general. They're particularly incompetent when analyzing tech trends and company value.

What I can't wait for is the successor to 4xxx in June 2009. I might finally have a reason to upgrade my GPU. Not sure if Deneb would make an upgrade worth it this January.

Yes, this idea keeps popping up on message boards from Intel fans. Must be their fondest hope in the world.

It's not going to happen. Huang would have to be forced out and Intel would have to cancel Larrabee. Too much ego invested in both cases for that to happen.

Not trying to flame you, but don't you think AMD knows Nehalem will outperform Deneb? AMD only has to beat B3. It does not have to beat Nehalem. AMD spent much of it's existence being the budget processor company. They can survive.

Next ATI architecture due out in June 2009, and then a new CPU architecture in 2010. I'm sure AMD will survive and be competitive by choosing the right market niche for each product. I'd hate to think what Intel would go through legally if AMD didn't survive, though I expect they'll take AMD to court over the fab spin off, but that can work both ways as they both use each other's technology under cross licensing agreements.