Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How many cores will this year's Nehalem PC have and when they are out?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 17, 2008 3:28:16 AM

Hello. I have been waiting for a Nehalem PC for computationally intensive research. I read that Nehalem based PCs should be available on Nov 17, 2008. Is this true? How many cores (8 or 16) will these PCs provide?

More about : cores year nehalem

a c 127 à CPUs
October 17, 2008 3:40:52 AM

It will have 4 cores with SMT giving it 8 threads.

It is going to come out next month.
October 17, 2008 5:04:53 AM

Thanks. How likely will manufacturers sell a system which includes 2 CPUs like the Apple MacPro? Anybody knows which week of next month will the systems be in stock?
Related resources
October 17, 2008 5:12:55 AM

As far as I know parts will be available online on November 10th. I will have systems on Ebay for sell as soon as I know I can get parts.
October 17, 2008 5:29:47 AM

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific need that Nehalem will fulfill that current systems cannot?
October 17, 2008 6:26:12 AM

The Processors should be available next month, but I'm not sure how soon you'll see systems available except from custom PC builders.

If you want one built Just check out my website. I own a custom PC Company.

http://www.mypcmechanics.com
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2008 12:04:12 PM

seboj said:
Just out of curiosity, is there a specific need that Nehalem will fulfill that current systems cannot?

From what we've seen, Nehalem will be much better in server scenarios, but a very small boost in your home PC.
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2008 1:19:57 PM

seboj said:
Just out of curiosity, is there a specific need that Nehalem will fulfill that current systems cannot?


No, not really.

As mentioned, there will be performance improvements in 2-way and 4-way server environements, but for the everyday desktop user, hardcore gamer, and hardware enthusiast, the improvements will be minimal; about 10% gain in single threaded applications.

Where Nehalem will shine and be very useful is for the the high end A/V workstation and super-multi-tasker scenarios.

Do not expect the same performance gains that were seen going from the Prescott to Core2 as going from Core2 to Nehalem.
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2008 1:28:55 PM

hajime said:
Thanks. How likely will manufacturers sell a system which includes 2 CPUs like the Apple MacPro? Anybody knows which week of next month will the systems be in stock?


The desktop variants of Nehalem will not have a 2-way solution, the server variants are slated to offer 2-way (Dunnington?) and 4-way (Caneland?).

There may be a chance that Intel will follow through with a Nehalem based Skulltrail system, but only time will tell.
October 17, 2008 2:46:18 PM

chunkymonster said:
No, not really.

As mentioned, there will be performance improvements in 2-way and 4-way server environements, but for the everyday desktop user, hardcore gamer, and hardware enthusiast, the improvements will be minimal; about 10% gain in single threaded applications.

Where Nehalem will shine and be very useful is for the the high end A/V workstation and super-multi-tasker scenarios.

Do not expect the same performance gains that were seen going from the Prescott to Core2 as going from Core2 to Nehalem.


While I appreciate the answer, I know all that already. I was asking to see why his "computationally intensive research" required Nehalem as apposed to a current system configuration. :kaola: 
a c 127 à CPUs
October 17, 2008 6:15:10 PM

chunkymonster said:
The desktop variants of Nehalem will not have a 2-way solution, the server variants are slated to offer 2-way (Dunnington?) and 4-way (Caneland?).

There may be a chance that Intel will follow through with a Nehalem based Skulltrail system, but only time will tell.


No I think Beckton is the 2 way server chip. Dunnington was just released a bit ago and is the 6 core variant based off of Core 2.
!