How many cores will this year's Nehalem PC have and when they are out?

hajime

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Hello. I have been waiting for a Nehalem PC for computationally intensive research. I read that Nehalem based PCs should be available on Nov 17, 2008. Is this true? How many cores (8 or 16) will these PCs provide?

hajime

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Thanks. How likely will manufacturers sell a system which includes 2 CPUs like the Apple MacPro? Anybody knows which week of next month will the systems be in stock?

mi1ez

Splendid

From what we've seen, Nehalem will be much better in server scenarios, but a very small boost in your home PC.

No, not really.

As mentioned, there will be performance improvements in 2-way and 4-way server environements, but for the everyday desktop user, hardcore gamer, and hardware enthusiast, the improvements will be minimal; about 10% gain in single threaded applications.

Where Nehalem will shine and be very useful is for the the high end A/V workstation and super-multi-tasker scenarios.

Do not expect the same performance gains that were seen going from the Prescott to Core2 as going from Core2 to Nehalem.

The desktop variants of Nehalem will not have a 2-way solution, the server variants are slated to offer 2-way (Dunnington?) and 4-way (Caneland?).

There may be a chance that Intel will follow through with a Nehalem based Skulltrail system, but only time will tell.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008

While I appreciate the answer, I know all that already. I was asking to see why his "computationally intensive research" required Nehalem as apposed to a current system configuration. :kaola:

No I think Beckton is the 2 way server chip. Dunnington was just released a bit ago and is the 6 core variant based off of Core 2.