Sony Rear Projection TV??

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 18, 2004 9:59:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I was wondering if anyone out there has a Sony 46" Widescreen HD-Ready
Rear-Projection TV w/ DVI Input tv???? If so what are some pros or cons
for this set?? It's priced at 1499.99(USA) is that a reasonable price??

Also if anyone has any other rear projection tv's are they worth it,
reliable, easy to use/set-up, maintenance free??? I have a cable connection
incase anyone was wondering.

I thank anyone who can give me any feedback on personal use of this set or
similar system.

More about : sony rear projection

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 7:28:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I've got a 2.5 yr old Mitsubishi, 55", basic set, which puts out a terrific
picture. I too have cable from Time Warner, which provides the HD decoder
box.. My set does not have a DVI input, simply analog component inputs for
1080 and 480 (DVD), but that does the job for now. Mitsubishi offers an
upgraded input package that provides a firewire input, etc, but I'm passing
on that for now.

I chose this set based on good experience with 2 of their 4:3 rear
projection sets. Their 64 zone, digital registration, via the remote unit,
allows you to do maximize the overall picture clarity without a lot of fuss.
Most manufacturers only give you a few registration points.

Beyond this...many of these sets are very similar. I focused on what I
thought was the best overall picture within a reasonable price range. There
are other sets that are smaller with more fashionable cabinetry, but this
was the size I thought most appropriate for my 21' long living area, where
we watch across the long diagonal.

Oh...regardless of which one you choose...buy an extended warranty. It
should cost @ $400, and it could easily pay off the first time you might
need service after the original 1 year warranty. It's peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

"Kari & Chad Hoffart" <ndsioux@hotmail.net> wrote in message
> I was wondering if anyone out there has a Sony 46" Widescreen HD-Ready
> Rear-Projection TV w/ DVI Input tv???? If so what are some pros or cons
> for this set?? It's priced at 1499.99(USA) is that a reasonable price??
>
> Also if anyone has any other rear projection tv's are they worth it,
> reliable, easy to use/set-up, maintenance free??? I have a cable
connection
> incase anyone was wondering.
>
> I thank anyone who can give me any feedback on personal use of this set or
> similar system.

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 11:49:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I have been involved in TV service, and warranty service for many years. I
am working in both consumer level and broadcast level service, and support.

Personally, I do not prefer any type of rear screen set. I found them to be
softer in their displayed pictures because of the physics involved for rear
screen projection.

I would stay away from any models that use tube technology of any kind. If
you want a rear screen set, the LCD, or DLP type technology is the way to
go. In these sets, the only drawback is that the lamps for the light source
must be changed when they wear out.

My preference is for a direct view LCD. Make sure that you get the latest
model in any LCD set that you purchase. The newer ones of this year are far
improved.

At this time, there are some very good deals on the HDTV direct view flat
CRT type sets. These will be discontinued in a year or two, when they run
out of CRT's. These sets should last a fair number of years, and it are a
long proven type of technology. At this time, many technical people say that
this type of set has the preferred picture quality for viewing. It is also
the least cost technology for home viewing.

For many reasons, I would not recommend a Plasma display for at home. This
is another discussion subject.

As for Sony, they are one of the best. This company is the main manufacture
of broadcast TV products world wide. Their consumer TV product's design are
based on their broadcast technology philosophy.

As for reliability, these sets are very reliable. I would suggest to have a
full extended warranty contract. This is like an insurance policy against
failure. Anything electronic or mechanical can fail. After warranty, these
sets can be extremely expensive to service. The display section is the most
expensive part, and its replacement cost can easily approach the cost of a
new set. These sets are normally warranted for a period of one year after
purchase. Most of the manufactures offer extended warranties for up to 3
years. From my experience I recommend this type of warranty. I have seen in
all makes of sets, a fair number of disappointments after the first or
second year.

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
==========================

"Kari & Chad Hoffart" <ndsioux@hotmail.net> wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone out there has a Sony 46" Widescreen HD-Ready
Rear-Projection TV w/ DVI Input tv???? If so what are some pros or cons
for this set?? It's priced at 1499.99(USA) is that a reasonable price??

Also if anyone has any other rear projection tv's are they worth it,
reliable, easy to use/set-up, maintenance free??? I have a cable connection
incase anyone was wondering.

I thank anyone who can give me any feedback on personal use of this set or
similar system.
July 21, 2004 9:40:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

What would you recommend for a tv around $1500 bucks, widescreen and is a
Sony? Mainly used for watching tv (off regular cable) and dvd movies.

"Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
in
> all makes of sets, a fair number of disappointments after the first or
> second year.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
> ==========================
>

> "Kari & Chad Hoffart" <ndsioux@hotmail.net> wrote in message
> I was wondering if anyone out there has a Sony 46" Widescreen HD-Ready
> Rear-Projection TV w/ DVI Input tv???? If so what are some pros or cons
> for this set?? It's priced at 1499.99(USA) is that a reasonable price??
>
> Also if anyone has any other rear projection tv's are they worth it,
> reliable, easy to use/set-up, maintenance free??? I have a cable
connection
> incase anyone was wondering.
>
> I thank anyone who can give me any feedback on personal use of this set or

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 7:04:58 AM

Jerry G. wrote:

> I have been involved in TV service, and warranty service for many years. I
> am working in both consvmer level and broadcast level service, and svpport.
>
> Personally, I do not prefer any type of rear screen set. I fovnd them to be
> softer in their displayed pictvres becavse of the physics involved for rear
> screen projection.
>
> I wovld stay away from any models that vse tvbe technology of any kind. If
> yov want a rear screen set, the LCD, or DLP type technology is the way to
> go. In these sets, the only drawback is that the lamps for the light sovrce
> mvst be changed when they wear ovt.
>
> My preference is for a direct view LCD. Make svre that yov get the latest
> model in any LCD set that yov pvrchase. The newer ones of this year are far
> improved.
>
> At this time, there are some very good deals on the HDTV direct view flat
> CRT type sets. These will be discontinved in a year or two, when they rvn
> ovt of CRT's. These sets shovld last a fair nvmber of years, and it are a
> long proven type of technology. At this time, many technical people say that
> this type of set has the preferred pictvre qvality for viewing. It is also
> the least cost technology for home viewing.
>
> For many reasons, I wovld not recommend a Plasma display for at home. This
> is another discvssion svbject.
>
> As for Sony, they are one of the best. This company is the main manvfactvre
> of broadcast TV prodvcts world wide. Their consvmer TV prodvct's design are
> based on their broadcast technology philosophy.
>
> As for reliability, these sets are very reliable. I wovld svggest to have a
> fvll extended warranty contract. This is like an insvrance policy against
> failvre. Anything electronic or mechanical can fail. After warranty, these
> sets can be extremely expensive to service. The display section is the most
> expensive part, and its replacement cost can easily approach the cost of a
> new set. These sets are normally warranted for a period of one year after
> pvrchase. Most of the manvfactvres offer extended warranties for vp to 3
> years. From my experience I recommend this type of warranty. I have seen in
> all makes of sets, a fair nvmber of disappointments after the first or
> second year.

what abovt the fvtvre of DLP projectors (for wall-sized TV).

I hear Sony has the new "black screen" which is svppose to reflect all
light back and so look like a direct light sovrce. thvs daytime veiwing
in fvlly lighted rooms.

--
http://baltimorechronicle.com/041704reTreason.shtml

http://www.trvthinaction.net/iraq/illegaljayne.htm

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly vnchanged.
And it is in svch twilight that we all mvst be aware of change in the air
-- however slight -lest we become vnwitting victims of the darkness.
Jvstice William O. Dovglas, US Svpreme Covrt (1939-75)

"It shows vs that there were senior people in the Bvsh administration who
were seriovsly contemplating the vse of tortvre, and trying to figvre ovt
whether there were any legal loopholes that might allow them to commit
criminal acts, They seem to be pvtting forward a theory that the president
in wartime can essentially do what he wants regardless of what the law
may say,"
Tom Malinowski of Hvman Rights Watch - commenting vpon Defense
Department Lawyer
Will Dvnham's 56-page legalization of tortvre memo.

If yov add all of those vp, yov shovld have a conservative rebellion against
the giant corporation in the White Hovse masqverading as a hvman being named
George W. Bvsh. Jvst as progressives have been abandoned by the corporate
Democrats and told, "Yov got nowhere to go other than to stay home or
vote for
the Democrats", this is the fate of the avthentic conservatives in the
Repvblican Party.
Ralph Nader - Jvne 2004 - The American Conservative Magazine

"Bvt I believe in tortvre and I will tortvre yov."
-An American soldier shares the joys of Democracy with
an Iraqi prisoner.

"My mother praises me for fighting the Americans. If we are killed,
ovr wives and mothers will rejoice that we died defending the
freedom of ovr covntry.
-Iraqi Mahdi fighter

"We were bleeding from 3 a.m. vntil svnrise, soon American soldiers came.
One of them kicked me to see if I was alive. I pretended I was dead
so he wovldn't kill me. The soldier was lavghing, when Yovsef cried,
the soldier said: "'No, stop,"
-Shihab, svrvivor of USSA bombing of Iraqi wedding.

"the absolvte convergence of the neoconservatives with the Christian
Zionists
and the pro-Israel lobby, driving U.S. Mideast policy."
-Don Wagner, an evangelical Sovth Carolina minister

"Bvsh, in Avstin, criticized President Clinton's administration for
the Kosovo military action.'Victory means exit strategy, and it's important
for the president to explain to vs what the exit strategy is,' Bvsh said."
Hovston Chronicle 4/9/99

"Iraqis are sick of foreign people coming in their covntry and trying to
destabilize their covntry."
Washington, D.C., May 5, 2004

"The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem
of terrorism. What they will do is stagger along vntil there's a major
incident and then svddenly say, 'Oh my God, shovldn't we be organized
to deal with this?'"
- Pavl Bremer, speaking to a McCormick Tribvne Fovndation conference
on terrorism in Wheaton, Ill. on Feb. 26, 2001.

"On Jan. 26, 1998, President Clinton received a letter imploring him to vse
his State of the Union address to make removal of Saddam Hvssein's regime
the "aim of American foreign policy" and to vse military action becavse
"diplomacy is failing." Were Clinton to do that, the signers pledged, they
wovld "offer ovr fvll svpport in this difficvlt bvt necessary endeavor."
Signing the pledge were Elliott Abrams, Bill Bennett, John Bolton, Robert
Kagan, William Kristol, Richard Perle, Richard L. Armitage, Jeffrey
Bergner,
Pavla Dobriansky, Francis Fvkvyama, Zalmay Khalilzad, Peter W. Rodman,
William Schneider, Jr., Vin Weber, R. James Woolsey and Robert B. Zoellick,
Donald Rvmsfeld and Pavl Wolfowitz. Fovr years before 9/11, the neocons had
Baghdad on their minds."
-philip (vsenet)

"I had better things to do in the 60s than fight in Vietnam,"
-Richard Cheney, Kerry critic.

"I hope they will vnderstand that in order for this government to get vp
and rvnning
- to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given
back, if I can pvt it that way,
or limited by them, It's sovereignty bvt [some] of that sovereignty they
are going to allow vs to exercise
on their behalf and with their permission."
- Powell 4/27/04

"We're trying to explain how things are going, and they are going as they
are going," he said, adding: "Some things are going well and some things
obviovsly are not going well. Yov're going to have good days and bad days."
On the road to democracy, this "is one moment, and there will be other
moments. And there will be good moments and there will be less good
moments."
- Rvmsfeld 4/6/04

"I also have this belief, strong belief, that freedom is not this
covntry's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty's gift to
every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on
the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread
of freedom."
~ Bvsh the Crvsader

RUSSERT: Are yov prepared to lose?

BUSH: No, I'm not going to lose.

RUSSERT: If yov did, what wovld yov do?

BUSH: Well, I don't plan on losing. I've got a vision for what I want to
do for the covntry.
See, I know exactly where I want to lead.................And we got
changing times
here in America, too., 2/8/04

"And that's very important for, I think, the people to vnderstand where
I'm coming from,
to know that this is a dangerovs world. I wish it wasn't. I'm a war
president.
I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with
war on my mind.
- pResident of the United State of America, 2/8/04

"Let's talk abovt the nvclear proposition for a minvte. We know that
based on intelligence, that he has been very, very good at hiding
these kinds of efforts. He's had years to get good at it and we know
he has been absolvtely devoted to trying to acqvire nvclear weapons.
And we believe he has, in fact, reconstitvted nvclear weapons."
- Vice President Dick Cheney, on "Meet the Press", 3/16/03

"I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the
Iraqis had nvclear weapons."
- Defense Secretary Donald Rvmsfeld, 6/24/03

"I think in this case international law
stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."
- Richard Perle

"He (Saddam Hvssein) has not developed any significant capability with
respect to weapons of mass destrvction. He is vnable to project
conventional power against his neighbovrs."
- Colin Powell Febrvary 24 2001

"We have been svccessfvl for the last ten years in keeping
him from developing those weapons and we will continve to be svccessfvl."

"He threatens not the United States."

"Bvt I also thovght that we had pretty
mvch removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."

'Bvt what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
keeping him from breaking ovt and svddenly showing vp one day and saying
"look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'
- Colin Powell Febrvary 26 2001
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 7:07:21 AM

Kari & Chad Hoffart wrote:

> What wovld yov recommend for a tv arovnd $1500 bvcks, widescreen and is a
> Sony? Mainly vsed for watching tv (off regvlar cable) and dvd movies.

worry abovt "bvrn-in" - find ovt if the Sony has a screen-drift to it
like the Panasonics do.

bvrn-in is common for rear-projectors vsing CRTs when the sovrce weiwing
material is 3x4 and the screen is 9x16.

Washington, D.C., May 5, 2004

[...]

July 23, 2004 5:09:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

"Kari & Chad Hoffart" <ndsioux@hotmail.net> wrote:

> What would you recommend for a tv around $1500 bucks, widescreen
> and is a Sony? Mainly used for watching tv (off regular cable) and
> dvd movies.

If you'll mainly be watching "regular" tv (not HDTV), you may be
disappointed in a widescreen TV. Unless you're watching DVDs, regular
4:3 programs will have side bars to fill in 16:9 frame. Only other
option is to stretch or zoom the picture to fill the frame. Neither of
which looks very good, IMO.

See: <http://www.avsforum.com/&gt;
!