How do you move data from old PC to new PC? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

damien12g

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Hello all
I've tried searching for answers, but i figure you guys must know. How do i easily move pictures, movies, itunes to the new PC? Install the old HD as a "slave?" Transfer via a USB cable? I am going from XP to Win 7 also.
TIA

Damien

Solution
G
I would favour installing the old drive as a secondary because it's quick. But be sure to create a folder on the new drive called something like old stuff and transfer the old stuff into that.

If you don't fancy dismantling -- a network connection is complex if you haven't done it before but relatively quick.

In any case I think Windows has anticipated the scenario and provided a facility in Windows for just that.
G

I would favour installing the old drive as a secondary because it's quick. But be sure to create a folder on the new drive called something like old stuff and transfer the old stuff into that.

If you don't fancy dismantling -- a network connection is complex if you haven't done it before but relatively quick.

In any case I think Windows has anticipated the scenario and provided a facility in Windows for just that.

Solution

leon2006

Distinguished
Another way is share your old PC drive/folder on the network. On the new PC access the share drive then move the file to the drive of the new PC. This solution no hardware activity is required.

Installing the old HD as a slave is a less troubled approach. You can remove the old drive after the file transfer.

angelica26

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

Hi I was wondering if you could help me out here! I have two towers and would like to take my old hard drive in install it into my other tower! however im not sure what steps to take ! could you please help me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.