Sign in with
Your question

Black screen do to AV8

Last response: in Windows XP
January 3, 2011 2:53:04 AM

Hello,the wife accidentally clicked on AV8 and now it will not let us reboot her Pc it acts like it's gonna, we get the dashes in upper left hand corner then just a blank screen,,,I can get into the F8 option also the F1 options but tried it all but no go...
so any Help is gratefully appreciated!
Thank you in-advance...

More about : black screen av8

January 3, 2011 3:29:33 AM

boot into Save Mode with Network.

download Malwarebytes, install it, update it, and run a full scan.
m
l
January 3, 2011 10:15:07 AM

Like I said i cant see the monitor it's a Black screen and it wont do jack when I try to start in safe mode or any other Mode it will not boot in any mode that I click into.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2011 10:20:47 AM

One more thing I do have Malewarebytes installed onto her Pc but like I said I cant see jack, and cant acces the programs to run.

thanks for any input.
m
l
January 3, 2011 2:11:27 PM

aford10 said:
Create an AVG rescue disc, and run the malware scans on the hard drive.
http://free.avg.com/us-en/226162

yes I will give it a try!
and reply back

Thank you for ur input
m
l
January 3, 2011 2:58:05 PM

I do not have the XP disc

but what I do have is the disc that came with her emachine, it says emachines restore dvd version 1.1 T2958

but also says the restore dvd is provided by emachines and gives complete backup of the software that was preinstalled on the PC at the factory.Should the software need to be reinstalled, the restore dvd will copy the necessary files onto the hard drive.

so it sounds like it will save her windows XP am I correct?

should I run this disk? she dont care about loosing here personal data pics and such stuff.
m
l
January 3, 2011 3:16:30 PM

That restore disc will restore the PC to the original state when it was purchased. All updates and data will be gone. That certainly is an option.

If you want to try the AVG disc, it may be able to clean the hard drive, assuming that's the cause of this.
m
l
January 3, 2011 3:28:05 PM

I would try the AVG restore disk but I dont have a working burner on my pc to make a disk.

from what I have read about this damn AV8 is a virus and it took over her PC

so yes I would say that it took over her hard drive that's why I cant get it to nothing in safe mode or safe mode system restore.

so if I try this restore disk I should still have the windows XP operating system correct?

Thank You very much for your time and Patience
m
l
January 3, 2011 3:39:56 PM

Yes, if you use the discs to run the restore process, it should be back up and running after the restore.

Another option, is to slave the hard drive into another computer, and scan it from there. Though, the restore discs are the simpler and quicker of the options.
m
l
January 3, 2011 4:45:17 PM

I installed the restore disk and it gives a me a couple of options and here is what they are of course first option is a full system recovery/ Factory recondition and then I get Advanced Options and they read as following,,,,

Non-Destructive System Recovery: and here's what it says
This Option will move all Hard Disk contents to the "c:\My Backup" directory and install a new copy of windows. This option preserves your existing data files, however all applications and settings will need to be reinstalled. this option requires 4 GB free Hard disk space for the new OS

Second Option Install Master Boot Record:
heres what it says, Reinstalls the eMachines recovery MBR (Master Boot Record). The MBR is required for the PC to Boot properly. Use this option if the eMachines Recovery is replaced by viruses or third-party applications.

not sure on which one to pick I kinda thinking the last option.

What do you suggest?
m
l
January 3, 2011 5:28:43 PM

Quote:
go into the system recovery option.

I can only see what the restore disk says,,

ive tried the system recovery option and it does nothing,,,,

so i'm looking for and answer on my last Post

1. I installed the restore disk and it gives a me a couple of options and here is what they are of course first option is a full system recovery/ Factory recondition and then I get 2 Advanced Options and they read as following,,,,

2. Non-Destructive System Recovery: and here's what it says
This Option will move all Hard Disk contents to the "c:\My Backup" directory and install a new copy of windows. This option preserves your existing data files, however all applications and settings will need to be reinstalled. this option requires 4 GB free Hard disk space for the new OS

3. Second Option Install Master Boot Record:
heres what it says, Reinstalls the eMachines recovery MBR (Master Boot Record). The MBR is required for the PC to Boot properly. Use this option if the eMachines Recovery is replaced by viruses or third-party applications.

I'm thinking it mite be option number 3

but still awaiting some expert advice
m
l
January 3, 2011 6:05:25 PM

If you want to completely restore the computer, choose #3.

#2 is more like a windows repair.
m
l
January 3, 2011 6:27:00 PM

I ran the last Option and now I have my screen back.

I am now running Malewarebytes full scan

we'll see if it Removes this AV8 Virus bull crap, or if it lets me open my web Browser, it was blocking all web sites before.

Thank you for your Time!

I will Report back and let you know when you can Close this Thread!
m
l
January 3, 2011 6:54:28 PM

Run through the malware guide in my signature, and you should be all set. :D 

Though, that restore should've remove any infection.
m
l
January 3, 2011 7:21:34 PM

How do you do this?

Run through the malware guide in my signature.
m
l
January 7, 2011 2:10:08 AM

I would recommend backing up all your files to an external drive and then formating the drive. Then re-install Windows and you will have a much more secure and faster OS, like it was when you first bought the PC. Formatting the hard drive is the best way to get rid of all traces of malware. Your Windows XP OS sounds like a really bad infection, so this is probably your best option.
m
l
January 7, 2011 11:54:52 AM

PaulR08 said:
I would recommend backing up all your files to an external drive and then formating the drive. Then re-install Windows and you will have a much more secure and faster OS, like it was when you first bought the PC. Formatting the hard drive is the best way to get rid of all traces of malware. Your Windows XP OS sounds like a really bad infection, so this is probably your best option.

The problem with that is, when backing all your files up, you could be backing up a virus. Simply moving the files, formatting the drive, and moving them back, doesn't guarantee anything.
m
l
!