reallocated sector counts for a hitachi desktar T7K250

don_h

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked here lots of times but I was just wondering if anyone knew what the typical reallocated sector space is for an SATA 250GB Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 series.

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 074 074 005 Pre-fail Always - 614

614 seems like a lot to me. Last time I checked it (which was probably several months or more ago) I think it was much less than that. It might've happened after I backed up a large amount of files to it, in which case, maybe there's just a bunch of bad sectors on the disk. The drive is about 2 years old and has been up strait for 255 days, but there's not much stress on it as the majority of load is on two other disks, all the other SMART values seem fine.

It's still pretty far from the thresh so I guess it's ok for now, although I don't like the thresh being so low. I'd ask Hitachi's tech support however I haven't had much success in getting any useful information out of them.

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Not sure; you could see other data on the bad sector count via SpeedFan. I do know that once you start seeing the problem, the drive is usually not too far away from running out of replacement sectors, since over time the media has deteriorated and these things tend to go in groups. Good backups, right?