Sign in with
Your question

Can't Assign Letter to Dual-Boot Win7, Diskmgmt and DISKPART fail

Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2010 4:21:32 PM

Hi everyone,

Somehow I lost my win7 partition letter when Partition Magic sad the drive was bad and I allowed it to fix it. I can boot in Vista, but all my data is in Win7. Oh, I've been dual-booting forever.

1) I need to backup the data

OR

2) Assign a letter to the partition. I can see it in diskmgmt and DISKPART (dos) but I can't assign a letter. Its an error in diskmgmt and DISKPART simply can't do that because it does not possess a volume .. because there's no letter.

I'm at a total loss. Please help me. I will cry.

Krystal
work@krystalchoo.com
a b G Storage
January 2, 2010 2:14:15 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

I had the same problem few moths ago with the same program (partition magic, that now i HATE). The only solution (and fast too) was install windows again and recover the files with Active File Recovery.

If you take this way, whe you start to format the partition, do it a fast format.
m
l
January 2, 2010 2:40:13 AM

Thank you for the welcome.

I share your sentiments on hating Partition Magic with the bile in my liver. It has taken away hours of my life that I will never get back. I tried out TestDisk as suggested by a user from another forum, but it was a Dos-based program, which made me nervous because I didn't trust myself at 3am in the morning to make good DOS decisions.

Right now, I've assigned a letter to the drive using Acronis Disk Director, and used the explore function to copy my files to an external HDD just in case. Hopefully I can recover this partition, if not, I'll probably cry and delete, create and reformat with Win7.

However, the stubborn child in me doesn't want to do this. I'm sure we can undo what Partition Magic did. Any other suggestions?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 2, 2010 4:13:36 PM

satiene said:
Thank you for the welcome.

I share your sentiments on hating Partition Magic with the bile in my liver. It has taken away hours of my life that I will never get back. I tried out TestDisk as suggested by a user from another forum, but it was a Dos-based program, which made me nervous because I didn't trust myself at 3am in the morning to make good DOS decisions.

Right now, I've assigned a letter to the drive using Acronis Disk Director, and used the explore function to copy my files to an external HDD just in case. Hopefully I can recover this partition, if not, I'll probably cry and delete, create and reformat with Win7.

However, the stubborn child in me doesn't want to do this. I'm sure we can undo what Partition Magic did. Any other suggestions?

-------

Just one other suggestion try to not use again Partition Magic. :) 
m
l
!