Is it necessary to do bios for a new mobo?

visom2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hi I have a question about installing a new motherboard.
I know that you need to do the bios when you hook up a new motherboard, but whenever I read reviews about a particular motherboard (forgot which) I see a few people saying "no BIOS needed".

Is doing the BIOS something that is mandatory when installing a new motherboard? Or is it just to adjust certain settings to your fit? If so what would you do in the BIOS?

Thanks for any help.

Battenburg

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I'm not fully sure I understand your question as I'm not sure if you mean a BIOS upgrade or adjusting settings via the BIOS.

If you're talking about whether you need to upgrade the BIOS of a new motherboard then you need to check the current version supplied with the board and look up the BIOS upgrades on the manufacturers website to check. BIOS upgrades can be supplied after a board has been released to support newer cpu's for example.

If you're talking about whether you need to enter the BIOS once you've installed the new board then I would recommend you do that to set up any preferences you may have which differ from the boards default settings. You sometimes have to change some setting to optimise performance of the system. Still in alot of cases the system would be find with default settings but I'd still recommend going through your manual and changing the settings to preference.

I say never upgrade your BIOS unless you need new hardware support or if you have a bug the new BIOS will fix. Outside that, there is no reason to upgrade it. If you by chance botch the update, you now have a perfectly dead motherboard.

visom2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks for the reply guys.

Anyways, to do BIOS as in going in there, changing settings. But what kind of settings could I change besides overclocking?