Sign in with
Your question

Intel Atom Performance

Last response: in CPUs
October 17, 2008 3:51:43 PM

I'm considering getting an eeepc and was wondering how the Intel Atom processors stack up. I've been looking for benchmarks, but can't find any. Specifically I'm talking about the Atom n270. Can someone plz either point me to some benchmarks or compare the power of it to like a desktop processor? (where i have a lot more knowledge of)

More about : intel atom performance

October 17, 2008 6:10:41 PM

fine for basic office apps, and for surfing the net - everything else, give up
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2008 6:14:35 PM

It's the equivalent of about a 750-800MHz Pentium architecture Celeron, IIRC. It does hyperthread though, so in multithreaded apps, it does a bit better. I have an eee, and it's great for just basic tasks and such, and the battery life is incredible. I wouldn't expect miracles though.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2008 6:39:13 PM

people buy intel atom barebones, put 2gb ram, 1tb hd and use them as servers. intel atoms are amazing since they draw little power, and quiet
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2008 7:05:53 PM

From the reviews I've read, Atom is really only good for the most basic of machines and web appliances. If you were to use it as a "guest" machine for basic office apps and web surfing, then Atom would be fine, but even then I would recommend going with a dual core Atom rather than a single core.

An Atom based machine running FreeNAS would make a fantastic NAS for a home/small office network!
October 18, 2008 2:22:42 AM

chunkymonster said:
An Atom based machine running FreeNAS would make a fantastic NAS for a home/small office network!

Chunky, that sounds like a brilliant idea!!!. A cheap way to get a NAS, albiet a little bigger, and add the security of your own choice. Ive gotta take a look at your idea.

Well done!!!
October 18, 2008 3:33:59 AM

evongugg said:
the AMDamd Athlon 64 2000+ beats the Intel Atom 230 in energy consumption and processing power.

The Athlon-based system beats the Atom-based system in energy consumption; the Atom CPU uses about half as much power as the Athlon CPU, but it's tied to a lousy chipset.

The Atom is also much cheaper to make, so Intel have plenty of room to cut prices if AMD try to compete in that market with an Athlon64.

And, more to the point, you can buy an Atom over the counter at the local computer store; unlike an Athlon 2000+.
October 18, 2008 5:34:04 AM

you guys have any experience with the dualcore atom running visual studio 2008 express with an sql server in the background? how did it fare?
October 20, 2008 5:00:24 PM

o wow, that seems a lot weaker than i thought. i dont plan to do much on my computer, however the one thing i did plan to do was
1. watch videos (would HD resolution run on this? lol)
2. record videos. i use a pinnacle studio movie box i think its called paired with windows media encoder. i encode in 640 x 480 wmv8 normally. iv ran video encoding on some weak computers, even around an 800mhz pentium.

whataya guys think, is the eeepc up to it? (id probably be using a SSD hd for good performance and upgrade it to 2gb ram)
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2008 7:07:40 PM

Watching and encoding would be fine, though forget about HD.
October 22, 2008 5:19:52 AM

cjl said:
Watching and encoding would be fine, though forget about HD.

Dual-core seems to handle 1080p OK, though there's some stuttering on an HD-DVD file:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6QXaNTgT68

Single-core apparently does 720p.

If HD playback is your primary goal you'd probably be better off going for a faster CPU though.

Either way, the dual-core Atom seems to play HD H.264 better than my P4-3.06 does; though that may just mean that codecs have improved a lot since I last tried to play any on there.
October 22, 2008 8:52:14 PM

I would wait to get the 330 in netbooks. (i.e. asus eee)
October 22, 2008 10:36:01 PM

I use my EEE PC 1000h for programming. Works fine, honestly.
October 23, 2008 11:28:42 PM

Atom 230 is not meant to be the performance king. It's meant to be the price and form factor king. Criticism on its power consumption or performance is at best misplaced. It wasn't paired with the 945G chipset because Intel thought that was the lowest power chipset they could come up with-- it's because it's 3-generations-back tech and very cost effective.

Now, criticizing the Z5* series Atom platform for power consumption or performance could be warranted. That's what it's designed for. Has that been done anywhere?
November 16, 2008 11:21:04 PM

descendency said:
I use my EEE PC 1000h for programming. Works fine, honestly.

What IDE/Language do you program in on it?
!