CPU'S,Mobo,& Wattage

mike27466

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Hi everyone,
I am looking to buy the AMD 64 6000+ am-2 and I noticed that it runs at 125 watts of power. I need some help to understand how to know what the mobo limits are in wattage.

Some mobo's run only up to 95 watts , and are amd x2 am-2 compatible.

Does this mean that if i put a AMD 6000+ x2 cpu on this type of mobo, will the mobo run the cpu!!!!!!

Does anyone know whats the best mobo to run this cpu!!!!

I am after these features on the mobo.

1 SLI or crossfire mode.
2. 4 dimm slots of ram.
3. nforce or better chipset

I have my eye on the xfx 8200 SLI mobo at the moment as its got the nforce chipset, and 4 dimm slots of memory.

anyone have any ideas on the best performance posible .I want a good performing mobo and have expansion room for upgrading in the future. So i can get a few years of use out the the mobo.

thanks

uguv

Distinguished
AMD usually makes good chipsets. Nvidia generally doesn't make good chipsets. Unless i were planning on using SLI I'd stay far away from nvidia based boards. Make sure the board you pick supports the 6000+ x2 and you should be fine.

mike27466

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Thanks guys for your help. Will a 6000+ cpu run on a mobo that is limited to 95 watts!!!

The reason is that none of these mobo websites or sales people of these mobo wouldnt have a clue what you are talking about when you ask!!!

Some dont even reply to your question because they just dont know!!

I dont want to buy a mobo that dosnt have enough wattage to run the 125 watt cpu.

Also i'm not sure if a limited 95watt mobo can run a 125watt cpu. If it does run the cpu ,its not going to run that cpu at its full potental!!!!!

i wish these manufacturers would make these mobo more compatible with these cpu's