Sign in with
Your question

Hard Disk has many Bad Sectors(reallocated sector count)

Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2010 8:11:45 PM

I got BSOD in vista(error code 0x00008086 if you were wondering) and now every time i try to boot up vista i just get another bsod my laptop( dell xps m1530) is dual partitioned so i booted up Ubuntu 9.10 and it worked fine and it told me that my hard disk was failing and that it had "Many bad Sectors" . i ran all the usual diagnostics nothing worked vista wont boot in safe mode or anything, so i am going to get a new hard drive. I want to know if there is anyway to save both my partitions Ubuntu/vista and the files within them(the files are of extreme importance to me) without being able to get to my desktop in vista.

I appreciate the help in advance.

More about : hard disk bad sectors reallocated sector count

a c 125 G Storage
January 1, 2010 8:22:53 PM

Try running Spinrite from a floppy boot.
m
l
January 1, 2010 9:06:24 PM

its a laptop it has no floppy drive
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 1, 2010 9:19:27 PM

why didnt you backup your data like your supposed to? NEVER rely on one single solution for data that is important.

There is a toolset out there called hirens boot cd (check the legalities before using it) - its got a hdd tool called hdd regenerator - do a regen run and see if you THEN can boot into windows etc
m
l
January 2, 2010 3:29:54 AM

maybe what you might consider is too remove the hard drive from your laptop and slave it to another computer using a product similar to this http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/372 and then creating a back-up by searching through the partitions. once you have completed the back-up then you can either error check the drive and allow software to exclude bad sectors or just replace the drive with a new one and reinstall both OS's. it should not take you too long to accomplish this and then you can reuse the same hard drive dock to make a permanent external storage space using any old or new SATA hard drive
m
l
!