Sign in with
Your question

Waterblock Installation Help

Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2009 1:34:43 PM

Hey all

I have a Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme Performance CPU water block

How should I properly take off the old one and install this one? Is there water always filling the tubes? How do I take the tighteners off the old tubes without damaging them??

Thanks ~!

More about : waterblock installation

a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
October 1, 2009 2:55:14 PM

Your taking off the old one? You mean the heatsink with the fan on it? Or is it a old waterblock?

Yes, there is always water in the tubes, even when it's turned off.

You have 'tighteners' ? What are tighteners? You mean hose clamps? Or Herbie clips or compression fittings? Well you pretty much just take them off and remove the tubing fron the fitting.

Please drain your loop before disconnecting hoses.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercoolin...
m
l
October 1, 2009 3:06:24 PM

yes - i have an old waterblock thats too big for my new motherboard --

Hose clamps is probably the right word for it
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 331 K Overclocking
October 1, 2009 3:45:59 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion this might not end well...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
October 1, 2009 3:50:49 PM

krazypoe said:
yes - i have an old waterblock thats too big for my new motherboard --

Hose clamps is probably the right word for it

Could you post pics of your stuff? Be nice if you had the names for your parts and the terminoligy down.

Like what brand the block is, what pump brand and radiator brand etc. What CPU your going to cool etc. I'm worried you might have a prebuilt kit like Koolance, Thermaltake, etc etc.

If that's the case, then Rubix might be right.

I'm leary of recommending much until I know LOTS more info.
m
l
October 1, 2009 6:43:05 PM

I have the Swiftech Quiet Power P180 Liquid Cooling System with Antec P180B case

It is a pre built kit.. i think - i didn't know that was a bad thing.

I need to take the hose clamps off and put on the new waterblock--> Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme Performance CPU water block . -- just wondering how I take the hose clamps off and properly put on the new one.
m
l
October 1, 2009 8:49:55 PM

excuse me, they are small plastic hose clamps that overlap. They have bumps on them that interlock.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 2, 2009 12:29:27 AM

Are you talking about the barbs going in to the waterblock? Or the tubing? Are you trying to remove the barbs or the hose?
m
l
October 2, 2009 12:48:35 AM

thanks psycho!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
October 2, 2009 3:13:35 AM

Yep, now I see your problem. The CPU block is an older one, good to upgrade to a more modern block. Yea, drain (good to have the cpu block off the cpu and point in directions to drain the water out of the block). Undo clamps, pull hose off gently, inspect hose, put new stuff on, refill, leak test for HOURS and then power mobo etc up, monitor temps.

You'll like the way the waterblock mounts, very nice.

Umm, lets talk radiator size and what radiator and the CPU your getting. I'm a bit worried if the rad is a 120x1 and your getting an i5 or i7, you might not have enough rad.
m
l
!