Do you think the prices will drop a lot?

carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading my PC really soon (I would do it tomorrow if I could).

What I want to ask is this: With Nehalem coming out next month or so (if I read the threads here correctly), do you think it is worth the wait NOT to buy a Nehalem, but a current processor at a lower price than today's?

Will there be a significant drop in prices of Quads and Duos? I can still wait a couple of months (hardly, but if you tell me it's really worth it, I will!)

Thanks in advance!

Intel has a history of dropping prices on previous gen parts after releasing new processors, I think it's more a question of when and how much. Personally, i'm hoping they drop prices on C2D and C2Q in time for the Christmas shopping season. Merry Christmas to me!

You're asking for speculation.
Ok, FWIW...
There's too much going on in the global economy right now, as the market comes to the shuddering realization that selling false hope and BS can only last so long. As budgets tighten, people will have to refocus on what really is of value to them. I don't think "latest tech" will qualify.
Initially, I believe that Nehalem will be priced too high for the value it offers. Just supposing it is 4X faster, but when people ponder "Is that of value?" I think their answer, for the most part, will be "No." This will keep demand for the previous generation too high for prices to drop appreciably, as they will already be a lot lower than Nehalem.
We'll see. I just hope the itch to build isn't too expensive to scratch from time to time.

zero3one

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I had the same dilema a few weeks ago when I built my system. But I had the money and my last computer was wrecked so I couldn't wait too long. I did some poking around, the Nehalem from my understanding will be a better performer in the server market. Average home users and games can expect to see maybe 2-10% performance gains.

The prices of the current Intel line up was pretty good when I built my Q9650 and the price for the cpu has actually gone up slightly since I built it. For me, as a light gamer (at best) but a heavy internet/email user the current offerings was good enough.

Between chunkymonster and jtt - I flipped my coin and the dag blame thing ended up on it's edge! The pricing ( above cost) vs volume of sales will determine the cost of a Nehalem. The volume of sales inturn will drive demand up/down for the current Quads.

I'm holding off to see what the pricing on the 9450 / 9550 is at in Nov time frame. Don't really need one as my current E6400 @3.2 does fine for what I do. Also will have to get new MB. Currently have the gigabyte P965 DQ6 ver 1.0 which does NOT support the newer 45 nm proc. The ver 2 & 3 do, Not sure what mod they made on the board, it might be in the Proc voltages as I beleive the 45s have a lower stock vcore than the 65 nm.

NewLCD123

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I don't expect much of a price drop, especially since overclockers won't go i7 as I heard i7 is either going to be 100% locked(save the $1500 extreme edition) or a really poor overclocker like Phenom. Current core duos probably will remain the champs in games(comparing OC vs. OC)

nishiki

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
If the Amd Deneb supposed to be released in January is good enough to compete... and cheaper...maybe Intel will need to do a price drop... but it's only a ''maybe''.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Yeah,I'll wait until January to see if the AMD Deneb is good enough,perhaps spare some cash and get a cheap phenom,then move over to the Deneb,or move straight to the Deneb if I can.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Dude you are sooooo WRONG!!!! Stop spreading FUD!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253980-28-core

carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
OK, I pretty much get what anyone is saying, plus I just read the link...I have a clearer image in my head now.

But I do have another question. Will the old quads and duos be available long after i7 is introduced? I am talking about the ability to upgrade my system in two years keeping the same motherboard. Will I be able to find a suitable processor then?

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

Intel and AMD make the old processors for a bit of time after a new processor is introduced. Historically production continues for a few months to a full year or more. Then the old processors have to work their way out of the distribution system, and that can take another year or more.

For example you can still find Pent 4 over at Newegg. Core2 were introduced back in 2006 and two years later the Pent 4 are still available if you were so inclined.

But why would you want to buy a 2-4 year old processor when the current processor of the day will kick its butt?

G

bad trip YOUR SO WRONG

dude look at the volts... a core 2 duo takes 1.3 volts to reach 4 ghz... tops...

1.47 volts for a process that is better... in basically everything... means the chip is bad at overclocking... if it takes that much voltage... its not good at overclocking...

the current core 2 line can stay for all i care nehalem isn't needed except in servers...

I pulled the trigger and got my self a q9550 at 3.85 ghz... which hopefully excluding some major release on AMD's part.... should last me atleast 2 - 3 years well worth the 300 for the processor and 40 for the heatsink...

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Voltage has nothing to do with my post. NewLCD123 stated that core i7 will be locked and not overclock at all. I have provide a link disproving that.

So my friend you both are wrong.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

4GHz doesnt sound poor to me. The new socket might require more voltage, simply because thers so much more going on. Its no secret that quads need more vcore then duals. Quess what, I7 is a quad, and it has 8 threads. Needing a bit of power doesn't suprise me at all. I'm buying mine no matter what, and I will be enjoying the hell out of it, and when you want to compare benches against your PC let me know.

G

no the percentage is great the voltage required to get that percentage indicates its a bad overclocker... chances are most people willl not be able to get that overclock because it takes that much voltage... a q9550 at those voltages would take phase change cooling to get loads in acceptable ranges and since most people can't afford to shell out 800 for a processor cooler... its a bad overclocker

The price for i7 will start at $300 or so. With hyperthreading, current quads priced at $300 and up will not be able to compete, so I expect the price of those current high priced quads to come down. For a duo, I don't see much change.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
no the percentage is great the voltage required to get that percentage indicates its a bad overclocker... chances are most people willl not be able to get that overclock because it takes that much voltage... a q9550 at those voltages would take phase change cooling to get loads in acceptable ranges and since most people can't afford to shell out 800 for a processor cooler... its a bad overclocker

Your probably one of those guys that bashed Core 2 series until just last month. You don't got to be a hater because you can't afford it. You'll be able to get tone in a couple years, dont worry.

4745454b

Titan
i7 won't bring down the price of most current CPUs. They are starting off with a high price, so only those CPUs near that price point should see any movement. For example, the Q6600 is around $200, so it might see a small drop. (current price is $190) The 9550 and the 9650 should see some price drops. These CPUs are over $300, and depending on how i7 performs compared to these, should drop to under/around $300.

Anyone know if the i7 gaming performance has come up? Only thing I saw about it should gaming was "less then stellar" with the i7.