Sign in with
Your question

Help on a motherboard upgrade please

Last response: in Motherboards
November 18, 2008 8:22:20 AM

I am looking to upgrade my current motherboard to one that supports SLI. My current board - Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, only has a single PCI-E socket so I am unable to purchase a 2nd graphics card.
I would like some help in finding a like-for-like board that supports SLI.

Must haves:

2 x PCI-E with support for SLI
8 + SATA2 ports (E-SATA optional)
support for at least 4GB DDR2 RAM - DDR3 RAM support is optional but would be nice for future upgrades
5.1 Surround Sound or higher
LGA775 support of course

Cost isn't too much of an issue but i'm not looking for top end, just like-for-like.

Any help in finding a new board will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

More about : motherboard upgrade

a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2008 9:44:27 AM

but what is the current card that u have??guessing its a nvidia card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS P5N-T Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

or

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

choose 780i cos it has grt performance and good value..and obviously ASUS nnxt choice is evga

Related resources
November 18, 2008 9:52:38 AM

Thanks for the info, I like the look of the DFI board (although the colours will kill my scheme lol) I'll look into it a bit more and hopefully get one of the two. If anyone else has any more to add i'd be happy to hear it.
November 18, 2008 9:56:43 AM

Sorry for double post but I can't edit my previous message, was in mid post and didn't see new post come through.

My current card is the nvid 8800 GT 512mb - Inno3d version I believe but I don't think it makes a difference?

Thanks for the info gkay09 - i'll check those boards out and weigh up over price and performance. Is the 780i the new chipset?
November 18, 2008 11:24:41 AM

Sorry to tripple post.

I've checked out those 2 boards that gkay09 posted but they only support 6 SATA devices which isn't enough for me. I need 8 or more as I have alot of storage.
Also, looking over the DFI board it's saying that it supports CrossFire. I didn't think CrossFire boards supported SLI? Am i wrong?
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2008 11:34:37 AM

These are Crossfire boards, they do not support SLI.
Sorry, I will not recommend a board with an nVidia chipset.
I say you are better off to sell the 8800, buy a board with an Intel chipset, and Crossfire a pair of 4850's.
May not want to spend that much, but that is my thoughts.
November 18, 2008 11:37:59 AM

Damn, thanks for the clarification on that. Looks like i'm back to square one.
It seems hard to find an SLI compat board with 8 sata ports at a resonable price without having to compromise on something else.
Am I being unrealistic?
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2008 12:04:29 PM

^Again, this is not an SLI board. The only Intel chipsets that support SLI are the new 58 series, and they are only on the new i7 platform. If you want SLI, you MUST use a board with an nVidia chipset.
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2008 12:13:18 PM

Here is one, but you will also need to move up to DDR3.
There are just not many SLI boards that will support 8 SATA devices, and they are quite spendy. Makes my original idea of moving to an Intel board with a couple of 4850's in Crossfire more attractive don't you think?
November 18, 2008 2:38:04 PM

Thanks for the info jitpublisher.

I've always had problems with ATi cards and since moving to nvidia i've never wanted to look back. I was weighing up either going down the SLi route which seems costly now or just getting a high end 9 series or the new 260 GX that will out perform my current card in SLI anyway.
Looking over the benchmarking charts i'd be looking at around £250 on a new card which is what i'd be looking if not more on an SLI setup.

Anyone wanna throw in their two cents?
!