DIY NAS/Server

waketech

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Ok,

My goal is to make a DIY NAS/SERVER. I am new to this whole thing so any and all input is more than appreciated (basically what exactly do I need, everything from a case to a RAID controller, power supply, etc). I would like to use this to store all my files and have access remotely for myself and other family members via FTP or other. I will be streaming some video and audio to a home theater so I assume I would need to take advantage of GigiLan. I have looked at other articles but like I said I'm new so some of it was/is over my head or was not complete. I am hoping that the forums help me out and I/we could create a DIY article based on this.

Thoughts so far....

- 8-10 bay external HDD case
- Hot swappable HDD mounts (removable from front of case)
- Power supply (wattage ?)
- Initial memory (6) 1.5 TB HDD's with room for expansion up to (10) 1.5 TB HDD's , hopefully upgrade ease as well
- Raid 6 config but open to suggestions

I'm sure I am still missing lots of stuff.

Thanks In advance and look forward to talking with you all.

Thanks

I don't think that there will be a DIY article based on this as you're basically wanting to make a pretty fair-sized file server. However, I think we may be able to give you a hand. First of all, you probably want to get a server case with 3.5" SAS/SATA hot-swap cages built in. There are a bunch at Newegg.com in their Server -> Server Chassis section that have 8-20 hot-swap drive bays for $200-400. You'll want to get a single-socket workstation/server motherboard, a Xeon/Opteron CPU to fit the motherboard, and unbuffered/unregistered ECC memory (look in the server memory section) for reliability. You'll also want a decent PCI Express-based SATA controller card. Do some looking and see what fits your price range and intended usage and then come back and we'll take a look.

FireWire2

Distinguished
Yes there is DIY 40T Home Server base on FreeNAS.
With current 3TB HDD you can have 60TB storage space, and it uses ATOM 510 :)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265641-32-40tb-server-performance-issue

Here is the latest transfer speed, after I update to FreeNAS 0.7.2 Sabanda (revision 6694)

async

It's hoovering @ 100MB/sec write speed -
Where Read speed is 60~65MB/s... <-- need to tune-up

Yes it is BIG B, not small b, without ANY modifying

TRENDING THREADS