graphics card for photo editing PC...

G

I'm working on a system build for a photos editing PC. My current setup is getting annoyingly slow with multiple photo editing programs running.
I had asked the question in the 'homebuilt' forum about my planned build and they suggested my card choice was overkill, and perhaps could even adversely impact performance.
I was planning:
Asus p5q deluxe.
Intel Q6600
4-8GB ram
and 512Mb video card based on ati 3870 chipset.

What should I be looking at instead?

Thanks,
doc

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
I'm working on a system build for a photos editing PC. My current setup is getting annoyingly slow with multiple photo editing programs running.
I had asked the question in the 'homebuilt' forum about my planned build and they suggested my card choice was overkill, and perhaps could even adversely impact performance.
I was planning:
Asus p5q deluxe.
Intel Q6600
4-8GB ram
and 512Mb video card based on ati 3870 chipset.

What should I be looking at instead?

Thanks,
doc

Looks fine. Keep in mind photo editing, especially with multiple programs running, stresses cpu and use a lot of ram. Graphics card isn't really important. Quad core cpu is good (you don't want dual or single for that kind of multitasking). Ideally, overclock that q6600 too for better performance. 8gb of ram will also be useful.

tomasf

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
you could use a 8600gt or 9500gt, both are basically the same chip, but the 9500gt has slightly more performance. any of those could be fine.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Photo editing is very very extreme on power. You need a most importantly a very powerful processor. A nice core 2 dou or maybe a core 2 extreme processor would be good. Also videocard is important also, I am not sure what kind of card you should get but let me tell you, I have a 8800gts 640mb, and its not enough for big photo editing especially multi-photo editing so I would suggest something even more powerful.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
You could even skip the gpu for photo editing, focus your money on the cpu and a proper monitor. Getting a lcd that's good for the digital arts is rather expensive.

Can't skip the GPU, but you could get buy with an intergrated one or midrange.

I would avoid older Geforces (GF8 and above only, anything older is a waste for bit support), and avoid all intel if you use a large CRT (GMAs only have 350Mhz RAMDACs and will not push past 16x12 60hz without hacking and then only 1920x1200 16bit).

First of all though having 'too much card' will not adversely affect performance, especially not an HD3870 which would be fine.

Main thing you want is a card that is capable of handling multiple windows an very large memory space if you deal with large images and many layers. Passive cooling is a good idea if you want something quiet and reliable (no worries about fan failure), but only for low power/heat chips, anything powerful will add large amounts of heating to your case.

Now IMO, you only need something with the amount of raw power of an HD3870 or above, if you're planning on running some future GPU accelerated apps, but for most 2D photo work that's not that important since it's usually rather short burst processing.

Main thing is get the most powerful CPU you can buy, a ton of memory, lotsa HDD space.

IMO these are perfect for the right now until you know that you for sure need something different in the future;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131083
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127367
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121259

Even if you do upgrade to something later these are low cost investment that would be handy for system testing, multi-monitor, etc. later. Although I'd say they'd be fine for the job.