Possible Fix for nvlddmkm.sys BSOD

Coreone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I've posted here several times over the past few weeks about a BSOD I was experiencing on my new system. Well I think I may have stumbled upon a fix... kinda. I did my third reinstall of Vista x64 last night and decided not to enable auto-update. So far I've not installed any updates other than SP1 which came with my OS. After about 2.5 hours of gaming this morning, my system shows absolutely no signs of any kind of instability. No FPS drops, no screen locks, no BSOD... nothing.

I'll try to do some more tests this week to pin point exactly what the problem was. I'll keep this thread posted if it gets any following.

My System:
Intel E8400 @ 3.0ghz
ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i SLi
Zotac 8800gt 512mb
4gb (4x1gb) Patriot Extreme Performance PC2-6400 (5-5-5-12 2T)
320gb Hard Drive
Vista x64

dhicks2008

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
ok, i am having probs with my 9800 gx2, did you expierience any fuzzyness in the screen whilst gaming or any corrupt graphics? I am getting these, it seems random, the other night I kept getting driver locks and then BSOD with the nvlddmkm.sys bsod. Might try to reinstall the old vista, pain in the rear tho, hope my card aint on its last legs, only had it 2 weeks

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I had the exact same problems with my old 7900GS that both of you guys were having. When I upgraded it to an HD 3850 and put the old card into my old XP machine, it has had no problem at all. So it was definitely the nviddmkm.sys issue. I wonder when they are going to get that sorted out. My friend has the same issue on x64 with his 8800GT.

RavenXE

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Had the same problem with Vista x64 ultimate and a 8800GTX but it happened after i've enabled Windows Dreamscene and only when changing the wallpaper.

Turn's out that after some prime95, occt 2.00a and folding@home GPU that my ram couldn't handle the oc (Crucial Ballistix 800 @ 1000). Strange thing that had very few game crash and 3d mark Vantage runned perfectly. So after lowering the ram speed (Ratio) back to 800 the BSOD was finally gone and YES it was the nviddmkm.sys issue.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

Hmm that's interesting, it happened to me a lot when using Dreamscene. It also did it when I played video sometimes. Although it never did it to me while gaming, running benchmarks, or surfing the web when Dreamscene was disabled.

Coreone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Ok, so after running a bunch of tests and gaming over the weekend I've concluded that my errors were coming from a bad PCI-E slot. The BSOD happened again the other day but since moving my video card over to the other PCI-E slot, the problem has completely gone away. I just got done with a 4+ hour session without so much as a framerate drop. I guess I'll have to RMA my motherboard since my initial plan was to run an SLi setup eventually.