Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 7600 GS how safe is my overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2009 11:40:24 PM

Okay this card is extremely old, and recently I discovered I could OC it. I believe the default core/memory is 400/400

I managed to push it to 575/475 and the overclock passed stability, but there's some minor artifacting every once in a while...

So I toned it down to 560/460.

I was wondering if that's a normal overclock, like a 40% increase in clock? Is that normal for this card or am I going to fry it?

Also how do I tweak volatage and there is no fan control in my Rivatuner?
October 2, 2009 8:37:10 AM

That is a large overclock. What is the performance gain in games? If the gains aren't much I'd reset it back to factory overclocked speeds. I had a 7900GS and overclocked I would see some decent gains but I had an aftermarket cooler because the stock cooler was barely adequate as a paper weight. Generally when you see artifacts, you want to turn the clocks down until you don't see any more artifacts. There are never any guarantees when overclocking.

There is always a risk that is assumed anytime you take a product over it's factory set clocks.

As far as the fan goes, I'm not too sure. The fan on my old 7900GS had a very low duty cycle so I couldn't manually set it high because it would change eventually back. The GS series typically don't come with the best coolers. The GT and GTX series come with much better coolers but for a much higher cost.
m
l
October 2, 2009 9:33:03 AM

Thanks. There is a huge gain in performance... I recently bought a 23" 1920x1080 LCD, so I'm kinda forced to run WoW at that res. It went from choppy to semi-smooth (though most of the settings are all low). May turn it back to factory once I complete my i5/5850 build soon.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2009 4:25:54 PM

All the GS series gpus, 7600gs, 7900gs, and 8800gs are great overclockers. For the most part they are lower clocked versions of their big brothers. As long as the temperatures don't increase a great deal and you don't get artifacts, then you'll be fine. Many older video cards didn't have fan speed control options. And forget about voltage mods unless you add a better cooler.
m
l
October 2, 2009 8:17:56 PM

Godzealot said:
Thanks. There is a huge gain in performance... I recently bought a 23" 1920x1080 LCD, so I'm kinda forced to run WoW at that res. It went from choppy to semi-smooth (though most of the settings are all low). May turn it back to factory once I complete my i5/5850 build soon.

You can try using N-tune to manually set your fan speeds. There should be a setting inside of there. I hate that software and only suggest it if you really need to change the fan speed. I think I had my 7900GS clock speeds at 580/1600 from 450/1320. I remember those days I could max out a game with that GPU.....
m
l
October 2, 2009 8:33:28 PM

One thing I do notice is lag in control? In WOW, my mouse has instant response when I move it, but lets say I hover the mouse over a button, there's like a 1/4 second delay then the button lights up.

Whereas if I lower the resolution, when I move the mouse over a button it lights up immediately.
m
l
October 2, 2009 11:47:57 PM

You are running out of VRAM, most likely. A 1080P display needs more VRAM to run smoothly at that resolution. I came from a 512MB ATI 4850 before my current cards because some games would lag at the native resolution of my monitor, which is 1920x1200. Lower the resolution until it's smooth or get a new GPU. If you decide to get a new GPU, let us know and we would be more than happy to help.
m
l
October 3, 2009 3:46:53 AM

Yes I'm working on a new complete build as we speak.

i5-750, Radeon 5850... the card's just so hard to find right now, and I'm waiting for a non-california site that won't tax me
m
l
!