Laptop Internet Connection

I am thinking about replacing my Desktop Computer, where I use the Internet
every day, with a Laptop but I haven't got a clue how a Laptop connects to
the internet.

I plan on using it at home (away from the kids) and using it to email when
I'm away on holiday.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about laptop internet connection

    Almost all new laptop computers include an internal modem and a network
    device. All you need to do is select your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and
    install their software. Your ISP and assist you with this.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "gripper" <gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am thinking about replacing my Desktop Computer, where I use the
    Internet
    > every day, with a Laptop but I haven't got a clue how a Laptop connects to
    > the internet.
    >
    > I plan on using it at home (away from the kids) and using it to email when
    > I'm away on holiday.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks

    Laptops connect in the same way as desktops. Most laptops these days come
    with both RJ-45 network jacks and wireless network adapters, as well as a
    modem.

    So, how you connect depends on how you connect now. If you use dialup -
    use the modem. If you use a hispeed connection - use the network jack.
    If you have a wireless router - use the wireless card, properly configured.

    HTH
    -pk

    In news:8E80F733-459D-4B42-90DD-9BEF9132C165@microsoft.com,
    gripper <gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I am thinking about replacing my Desktop Computer, where I use
    > the
    > Internet every day, with a Laptop but I haven't got a clue how
    > Laptop connects to the internet.

    The same way as a desktop computer: either through a modem, or
    through a network connection (wired or wireless) to a router or
    computer connected to the internet. The fact that it's a laptop
    doesn't make any difference at all.

    Or am I misunderstanding your question?

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    same way as a desktop

    "gripper" <gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am thinking about replacing my Desktop Computer, where I use the
    Internet
    > every day, with a Laptop but I haven't got a clue how a Laptop connects to
    > the internet.
    >
    > I plan on using it at home (away from the kids) and using it to email when
    > I'm away on holiday.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Many thanks

Laptops Internet Connection Internet Windows XP