Computer wont start

tgfahd

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
hey guys, i'm trying to fix an old computer for a friend. It takes about ten tries before it starts up and runs. On all these tries the fans all kick on and the power supply fan is turning and then turns right back off. Sometimes it will even keep running the fans for a minute but nothing else happens. i figured it was a power supply problem but if it was then why would it just start up and run fine after about ten tries.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
bad/old connection inside the psu,or on mobo,,capacitors getting old,a capacitor is kinda like a battery that is constantly being recharged,and over time they get weak and take longer to do their thing,just like the rest of us,anyhow that's what i would suspect..:)

hbr

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008

It could be just about anything. Likely causes: flat CMOS backup battery, bad capacitors on main board
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague , dirty/oxidized contacts on CPU/RAM, faulty PSU.......

Start by checking the voltage of the 3V lithium cell. Check for swollen or leaking electrolytic
capacitors. Re-seat the CPU, RAM modules, power cables and anything else you can unplug
from the main board. Good luck.