Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I'm geting a
amd 4850e
gigabyte 780g there are only reve 1.0 in sweden
2x1gb corsair 800mhz cl5
antec nsk 4480B with the 380w earthwatt

2x1tb western digigal GP disks more later

I'm gona watch movies on my TV and use the PC as a server for my homepage, torrent, file server, ftp

I want the system to use least system resorsers like cpu and ram

Also the key is energysaving

I was thinking win 2003 server R2 with sp2

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I'm confused, you want to use it as an HTPC as well as a server/file share? Any version of Microsoft Server is very ill-equiped for an HTPC setup.

Your best bet is to use either Vista Home Premium, Ultimate or Windows XP Media Center Edition (all have Microsoft's Media Center program) if you desire a good interface for HTPC usage.

If you desire a better server, Server 2003 is probably the way to go (I've never dealt with Server 2008, so I cannot attest to it either way).

If you desire an OS that uses the least about of resources choose a Linux distro (Ubuntu is quite popular).

Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Edit: Home Server could be good, I'm not very familiar with it, but I'm pretty sure that's what is intended use is.

genored

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
What does vista or xp have that 2003 server doesn't have? Is it drivers? Does the HDMI not work if i use 2003 server? Could you be more specific?

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Windows Server 2003 would work fine for an HTPC. Just use XP drivers and VLC media player for video files. Server 2008 is pretty slick (only used RC 2 though), and I've run it with only 512mb of memory, but I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Setting up file sharing on a Linux distro would probably be more difficult, and I'm not sure how good the linux drivers are for your 780G, which is probably important since I'm assuming you got that mobo for it's handling of high-def content and maybe to run video and sound over HDMI.

genored

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Well i'm not gona get a remote control or anything like that, I'm gona use K-lite mega code pack for watching 720p material on a LCD tv and thats about it. Not gona record anything, geting several speacers just a simpel 720p movie tv

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I guess if you don't plan on recording TV or watching HD content then Server 2003 should do fine. If you've never tried the Media center interface you're missing out, it really is a wonderful way to experience your HTPC on a good plasma/LCD. That's really the only reason I suggested Vista, even though it would be ill-equiped to handle server tasks.