One core not working? Need help.

zephrius

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Hi guys,

I just realized that one of my cores has either stopped working or died on me. I've using a E6750 and running a 3.2GHz overclock for about 3 weeks or so already. It usually runs at about 46 degrees C idle for both cores and when I'm playing games (warhammer online), it goes to about 52 degrees C for both.

I had stuttering issues with Warhammer Online recently so I decided to go ahead and install some new ATI Catalyst 8.10 drivers. Somehow after doing my driver cleaning, registry cleaning and installing my new drivers, I found out that one of my cores had died or stopped working! I checked this through coretemp and CPU-z as well, it only states that I have a single core.

Can anyone knowledgeable enough give me some advice? Did my CPU actually fry out or did i accidentally turned one of my cores off. Much thanks.

zephrius

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
It says ACPI x86-based PC. You mean bring it back to the manufacturer for a new one? I certainly hope so if it has really failed..

Was the O/S installed with the current hardware? Your system should definitely be "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"; otherwise only one CPU is enabled. If you have your installation CD, right-click "ACPI x86-based PC" and select "Update Driver". I've done that when upgrading from a single CPU to a Hyperthreading or Core2 CPU. AFAIK you can only upgrade from single to multi, but not the reverse.

What motherboard are you using and does it have a setting to disable cores?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Open task manager. Go to performance tab. Are two cpu graphs displayed? If not, go to View and make sure the option "one graph per cpu" is enabled.

zephrius

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008

yeah the O/S was installed with my current hardware, it's been working very well for about a year, I recently changed my GPU to a HD4850 amd O/Ced my CPU to 3.2, that's about all the changes I did.

Which CD are you referring to, Vista? This machine has never had a single core before, it was duo core when I first made it.

And I'm using a Asus P5K SE mobo.., I tried searching for a option to turn on cores in the BIOS but to no avail..

Open task manager. Go to performance tab. Are two cpu graphs displayed? If not, go to View and make sure the option "one graph per cpu" is enabled.

Only 1 graph, and the option is already set.