OS Freezing at startup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I desperately need your expert help people!

I am running XP Pro and have two names that can access XP. When I click on
either one as soon as the desktop appears everything freezes up I can select
different things but nothing happens. I have run all the basics Adaware,
SpyBot, Norton Antivirus, both in regular & in safe mode.

Nothing seems to help. I did have a BackWeb problem and deleted some of them
from the Registry, only BackWeb was deleted, any ideas? I did have Spy
Sweeper installed but it said it was contaminated so I had to uninstall it.

Thanks Bruce
5 answers Last reply
More about freezing startup
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I desperately need your expert help people!
    >
    > I am running XP Pro and have two names that can access XP. When I click on
    > either one as soon as the desktop appears everything freezes up I can
    > select different things but nothing happens. I have run all the basics
    > Adaware, SpyBot, Norton Antivirus, both in regular & in safe mode.
    >
    > Nothing seems to help. I did have a BackWeb problem and deleted some of
    > them from the Registry, only BackWeb was deleted, any ideas? I did have
    > Spy Sweeper installed but it said it was contaminated so I had to
    > uninstall it.
    >
    > Thanks Bruce

    Most of the time, I find that symptom on computers where *something* is
    trying to start, but for whatever reason, it's failing. So the startup
    sequence stops there. Sometimes it's a driver that's not loading, and
    sometimes it's a program that's not fully installed, or not fully
    uninstalled. It could be spyware or a regular program or the remnants of a
    virus that's trying to load. Or it could be some Windows component that's
    gotten corrupted or deleted.

    Unfortunately, that's a lot of options, and there's no quick fix. You could
    try doing a repair install of Windows if you're leaning towards the "windows
    component" theory. Otherwise, it's a matter of picking through everything
    that's loading at startup to see what's gone wrong.

    And of course, there are a multitude of ways to do that. If the system
    starts at all, you can check the event log to see what's failing. Or you can
    head right to msconfig and turn things off. It helps if you know what you're
    looking at. Or you can run HijackThis to see what's starting up and weed out
    possible culprits.

    If the system doesn't start in any mode (and I'm not sure from you post
    because at one point you said it freezes, but then you say you've run
    programs and deleted SpySweeper...

    If it doesn't finish booting, you can choose to log the boot (from the same
    menu you choose Safe Mode from) and then you need to get into the computer
    to read that log.

    There are also third-party utilities that can report on the startup
    programs, but part of their usefulness depends on you knowing a little bit
    about what needs to start and what doesn't. If you have to look everything
    up, it can be pretty time consuming, and if you just guess, it can make
    things worse. BackWeb, by the way, is not always malicious. There's a
    BackWeb component that installs with some printers, and some manufacturers
    use it for their "help" software. So it's possible that something is looking
    for BackWeb, but can't find it.

    Have you (or can you) try system restore?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    That's what it was Logitech needed Backweb and was looking for it, when it
    installed itself again all was well. Thanks for helping
    "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I desperately need your expert help people!
    >>
    >> I am running XP Pro and have two names that can access XP. When I click
    >> on either one as soon as the desktop appears everything freezes up I can
    >> select different things but nothing happens. I have run all the basics
    >> Adaware, SpyBot, Norton Antivirus, both in regular & in safe mode.
    >>
    >> Nothing seems to help. I did have a BackWeb problem and deleted some of
    >> them from the Registry, only BackWeb was deleted, any ideas? I did have
    >> Spy Sweeper installed but it said it was contaminated so I had to
    >> uninstall it.
    >>
    >> Thanks Bruce
    >>

    > Most of the time, I find that symptom on computers where *something* is
    > trying to start, but for whatever reason, it's failing. So the startup
    > sequence stops there. Sometimes it's a driver that's not loading, and
    > sometimes it's a program that's not fully installed, or not fully
    > uninstalled. It could be spyware or a regular program or the remnants of a
    > virus that's trying to load. Or it could be some Windows component that's
    > gotten corrupted or deleted.
    >
    > Unfortunately, that's a lot of options, and there's no quick fix. You
    > could try doing a repair install of Windows if you're leaning towards the
    > "windows component" theory. Otherwise, it's a matter of picking through
    > everything that's loading at startup to see what's gone wrong.
    >
    > And of course, there are a multitude of ways to do that. If the system
    > starts at all, you can check the event log to see what's failing. Or you
    > can head right to msconfig and turn things off. It helps if you know what
    > you're looking at. Or you can run HijackThis to see what's starting up and
    > weed out possible culprits.
    >
    > If the system doesn't start in any mode (and I'm not sure from you post
    > because at one point you said it freezes, but then you say you've run
    > programs and deleted SpySweeper...
    >
    > If it doesn't finish booting, you can choose to log the boot (from the
    > same menu you choose Safe Mode from) and then you need to get into the
    > computer to read that log.
    >
    > There are also third-party utilities that can report on the startup
    > programs, but part of their usefulness depends on you knowing a little bit
    > about what needs to start and what doesn't. If you have to look everything
    > up, it can be pretty time consuming, and if you just guess, it can make
    > things worse. BackWeb, by the way, is not always malicious. There's a
    > BackWeb component that installs with some printers, and some manufacturers
    > use it for their "help" software. So it's possible that something is
    > looking for BackWeb, but can't find it.
    >
    > Have you (or can you) try system restore?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Me2Ewe wrote:
    > That's what it was Logitech needed Backweb and was looking for it, when it
    > installed itself again all was well. Thanks for helping
    > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I desperately need your expert help people!
    >>>
    >>>I am running XP Pro and have two names that can access XP. When I click
    >>>on either one as soon as the desktop appears everything freezes up I can
    >>>select different things but nothing happens. I have run all the basics
    >>>Adaware, SpyBot, Norton Antivirus, both in regular & in safe mode.
    >>>
    >>>Nothing seems to help. I did have a BackWeb problem and deleted some of
    >>>them from the Registry, only BackWeb was deleted, any ideas? I did have
    >>>Spy Sweeper installed but it said it was contaminated so I had to
    >>>uninstall it.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks Bruce
    >>>

    >>Most of the time, I find that symptom on computers where *something* is
    >>trying to start, but for whatever reason, it's failing. So the startup
    >>sequence stops there. Sometimes it's a driver that's not loading, and
    >>sometimes it's a program that's not fully installed, or not fully
    >>uninstalled. It could be spyware or a regular program or the remnants of a
    >>virus that's trying to load. Or it could be some Windows component that's
    >>gotten corrupted or deleted.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, that's a lot of options, and there's no quick fix. You
    >>could try doing a repair install of Windows if you're leaning towards the
    >>"windows component" theory. Otherwise, it's a matter of picking through
    >>everything that's loading at startup to see what's gone wrong.
    >>
    >>And of course, there are a multitude of ways to do that. If the system
    >>starts at all, you can check the event log to see what's failing. Or you
    >>can head right to msconfig and turn things off. It helps if you know what
    >>you're looking at. Or you can run HijackThis to see what's starting up and
    >>weed out possible culprits.
    >>
    >>If the system doesn't start in any mode (and I'm not sure from you post
    >>because at one point you said it freezes, but then you say you've run
    >>programs and deleted SpySweeper...
    >>
    >>If it doesn't finish booting, you can choose to log the boot (from the
    >>same menu you choose Safe Mode from) and then you need to get into the
    >>computer to read that log.
    >>
    >>There are also third-party utilities that can report on the startup
    >>programs, but part of their usefulness depends on you knowing a little bit
    >>about what needs to start and what doesn't. If you have to look everything
    >>up, it can be pretty time consuming, and if you just guess, it can make
    >>things worse. BackWeb, by the way, is not always malicious. There's a
    >>BackWeb component that installs with some printers, and some manufacturers
    >>use it for their "help" software. So it's possible that something is
    >>looking for BackWeb, but can't find it.
    >>
    >>Have you (or can you) try system restore?

    Isn't BackWeb spyware that needs to be removed?

    gls858
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    gls858 wrote:

    > Isn't BackWeb spyware that needs to be removed?
    >
    > gls858

    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on the program that installed
    the BackWeb. HP uses it, as does Logitech, as does F-Secure. I haven't
    seen BackWeb being used by real malware for awhile; the real malware
    has gone way beyond BackWeb. Bottom line with BackWeb - always check to
    see what program it is associated with and if a legitimate one, leave
    it alone.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Glad it worked. I'm always suspicious of BackWeb myself, but a lot of legit
    programs use it too, which makes it worse.

    > That's what it was Logitech needed Backweb and was looking for it, when it
    > installed itself again all was well. Thanks for helping
    > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I desperately need your expert help people!
    >>>
    >>> I am running XP Pro and have two names that can access XP. When I click
    >>> on either one as soon as the desktop appears everything freezes up I can
    >>> select different things but nothing happens. I have run all the basics
    >>> Adaware, SpyBot, Norton Antivirus, both in regular & in safe mode.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing seems to help. I did have a BackWeb problem and deleted some of
    >>> them from the Registry, only BackWeb was deleted, any ideas? I did have
    >>> Spy Sweeper installed but it said it was contaminated so I had to
    >>> uninstall it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks Bruce
    >>>

    >> Most of the time, I find that symptom on computers where *something* is
    >> trying to start, but for whatever reason, it's failing. So the startup
    >> sequence stops there. Sometimes it's a driver that's not loading, and
    >> sometimes it's a program that's not fully installed, or not fully
    >> uninstalled. It could be spyware or a regular program or the remnants of
    >> a virus that's trying to load. Or it could be some Windows component
    >> that's gotten corrupted or deleted.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, that's a lot of options, and there's no quick fix. You
    >> could try doing a repair install of Windows if you're leaning towards the
    >> "windows component" theory. Otherwise, it's a matter of picking through
    >> everything that's loading at startup to see what's gone wrong.
    >>
    >> And of course, there are a multitude of ways to do that. If the system
    >> starts at all, you can check the event log to see what's failing. Or you
    >> can head right to msconfig and turn things off. It helps if you know what
    >> you're looking at. Or you can run HijackThis to see what's starting up
    >> and weed out possible culprits.
    >>
    >> If the system doesn't start in any mode (and I'm not sure from you post
    >> because at one point you said it freezes, but then you say you've run
    >> programs and deleted SpySweeper...
    >>
    >> If it doesn't finish booting, you can choose to log the boot (from the
    >> same menu you choose Safe Mode from) and then you need to get into the
    >> computer to read that log.
    >>
    >> There are also third-party utilities that can report on the startup
    >> programs, but part of their usefulness depends on you knowing a little
    >> bit about what needs to start and what doesn't. If you have to look
    >> everything up, it can be pretty time consuming, and if you just guess, it
    >> can make things worse. BackWeb, by the way, is not always malicious.
    >> There's a BackWeb component that installs with some printers, and some
    >> manufacturers use it for their "help" software. So it's possible that
    >> something is looking for BackWeb, but can't find it.
    >>
    >> Have you (or can you) try system restore?

Microsoft Windows XP