AMD reports narrower loss; stock surges!!

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Article:
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amd-sees-stock-surge-after/story.aspx?guid={CA6F071D-B3B3-4597-97BE-2089840FB48D}&dist=msr_43

AMD are coming back with a Bang!! Analyst called AMD's results impressive.....I'm also very impressed. Looks like ATI was worthwhile after all!....Lets all celebrate AMD's recent achievements!

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Advanced Micro Devices Inc. rose sharply Friday after the chip giant reported a narrower third-quarter loss, aided by strong sales of graphics and microprocessor chips, results that one analyst called "impressive."

Still, given the problems that the chip giant has had over the past year, some analysts welcomed AMD's better-than-expected results.

"Very impressive, even backing out one-time events," said analyst Doug Freedman of American Technology Research, noting the company pulled off "very solid execution in a very tough market."

Some analysts also noted that AMD's 2006 acquisition of ATI Technologies, which resulted in a huge financial burden on the chip company, now appears to be paying off as the company steadily gains momentum against other rivals, led by Nvidia Corp

:)

AMD4Life!!

gallag

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

WOOOWHOOOO YEAH SUCK IT IN INTELFANBOYS, AMD DID NOT LOSE AS MUCH MONEY THIS QUARTER.

AMD4Life!!

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

But AMD lost money and Intel didnt..

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

I know...

its like

yeah im so proud your not that much of a looser but still a looser senario...

"Don't worry son last time you lost 20 - 0 and now its 8 - nill and were still blaming that damaged leg"

the leg being ati...

for god sake

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

the joys of the lowest form of wit, is it possible they coud be lost upon some people?

hells

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
Just confirms what people following the hardware knows already, ATI cards is recommended on a broad ranges of prices and is the reason for their better-than-expected earnings. Hmm, should have invested in stock on the basis of whoever has the performance crown this year :p

After a really crappy end to 2007 AMD has pretty much delivered in 2008. If Deneb rolls and meets or exceeds expectations, AMD will enter 2009 on a high note.

As part of the UAE foundry agreement not only did they shed $1.2b in debt they will gain a cash infusion of $700m (first half of 2009?). I'm not sure about the remaining debt but I think sometime in 2012 it 'hits the fan'.

They (the AMD/UAE venture) need to break ground at Malta by June to keep their incentives. TSMC is getting up to speed on SOI - the thinking has to be Fusion is on schedule if there are no big dingleberries. It would be nice to see a new chipset on the enterprise side late this year or 1H of 2009.

With all their accounting trickery and sell-offs AMD will top $6b in revenues in 2008 (unless Q4 really, really goes in the crapper).

Looks like there's a little fight left in team green. Maybe we should start The Official Fan Club of AMD Thunderdom.

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

zero3one

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Holy AMD fanboys Batman! Did you guys just celebrate not sucking as much as you thought you did? LOL

Hey, I'm a longtime AMD user too but since they started sucking I switched to Intel. Maybe if they produced a better chip in the next few years my next build will be an AMD but until then I'll be happy with my "Intel inside."

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
AMD tbh is only for the really cheap builds,I.E. Athlon 64 X2 and the Q9550.Other than that,it's all Intel,especially when it comes to Overclocking.

I DO hope the Deneb is much better than Core 2 quad,so I might get that,but then again,if it sucks,who wants it?

Core i7 sounds cool,but unless they HONESTLY are going to have decent overclocking(learning's not that bad,the hardware needs to be reliable AND be able to turn off the retarded HT : Intel : people use desktop processors for desktop programs,not servers,we don't need 8 threads for a system that really only uses 3-5 of them at a peak...)

One thing I DO hope the AMD Deneb is good at,is saving power,which is one of the things Intel isn't reserving for Nehalem(god damn i7 name)

@enigma067 : Please,not another one...

Yippee !!!

I think in the thread for the last quarter results people were predicting at least a couple hundred million loss before breaking even with some Deneb sales early next year.

AMD fans can no longer whine at ATI being a bad investment either.

Dirk keeps his job !!

G

w00t noob thread lol

best quote is TC's "Your ignorance is showing..."

Enigma... cover it up... I hate seeing ignorance so blatantly displayed

blacksails

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I'm not, by any means, an AMD fanboy and I'm delighted that they posted better than expected results and enjoyed a surge in their stock value. I wish AMD the best of luck with Deneb and I hope that the recent cash infusion enables them to compete in the high end bracket in the near future. If Intel and AMD were to stand on nearly equal footing, we'd win. We'd be the ones enjoying high end chips for less money.

When did CPU companies become football teams? We should all be hoping for tight competition that results in lower prices and higher performance.

These forums would be a better place if people were more rational and less like cheerleaders.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I do love thunderman.

As for the speculation that it was ATI that drove up AMDs quartely earnings, allow me to put a damper on that. I was correct in TCs thread, AMD did sell its 200mm equipment. I was wrong in that it was not a chinese comapany. It was in fact a russian company, Angstrem, the same company that bought AMDs 130mm equipment.

The links:

http://www.tcmagazine.info/comments.php?shownews=21330

Angstrem, a Russian manufacturer who has previously bought AMD's 130nm equipment has again made business with the Sunnyvale Phenom maker and breaker and got the 200mm building machines in a deal worth about 132 million Euro.

For those who dont know, right now 132 mill Euro is equivelent to about $178 million USD.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article29189.html

http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/artikel.asp?id=1912570
the translation:

Dresden / Moscow. The U.S. chip manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has machinery and technology of its older factory in Dresden Fab30 at the Russian electronics group Angstrem sold. This company is currently in Zelenograd near Moscow a chip factory, the end of 2009 its production to absorb.

Angstrem chief Anatoly Soukhaparov said his company has a 815-million-euro credit received. "The money is mainly for the purchase of equipment and AMD in Dresden developed copper technology (CMOS) used," he said. According to AMD vice president in Russia, Pierre Brunswick, have the U.S. State Department and the EU agreed to the transfer of technology. The Russians received machines that produce chips on 200 millimeter wafers allow large. AMD is currently the Fab30 to Fab38 in order to 300 millimeter production.

AMD spokeswoman Karin Magistrate said only that there were several machines to semiconductor manufacturers have been sold, including Angstrem. "With the customers has been agreed." The proceeds from the sale puts the hochdefizitäre U.S. companies for the second quarter converted to 132 million euros.

AMD denied claims by Angstrem spokesman Dmitri Snameski under which the Americans Athlon and Opteron processors can produce in Russia. "This can not be said," it said. For months, there are rumors, AMD would outsource its manufacturing. For the construction of Fab38 competent manager Elke Eckstein left the company. AMD in Dresden has 2 800 employees

At todays exchange, the USD is 1.34 to 1 Euro, putting todays value of 132 million Euros equal to $178 miilion USD, as I noted above. At the actual time of the sale however, the euro was much stronger against the dollar, at 1.55 dollars to 1 Euro, meaning that todays 132 mil euro value of $178mil USD was actually $205 million USD at the time of the sale. Subtract that from AMDs reported loss of $67 mill USD and you suddenly get a $272 million loss for Q3.

So much for ATI bolstering AMD, and with the exception of a few died in the wool fanboys, I think we can all agree it certainly wasnt phenom B3 that helped AMD this quarter either.

But then, anyone who paid the least little attention already knew that AMDs 3Q report would be better than expected due to the sale.

Oh, just as a BTW, you gotta love AMDs latest spin on selling its fabs:

"AMD & ATI to form new Leading Edge Foundry"

as if they are in fact not selling their fabs but creating something totally new and unique. :sarcastic:

Opps, almost forgot to feed my favorite troll.

fail-dogfood.jpg

randomizer

Champion

Uh-oh, run for the hills, one side of the die is hotter than the other!

You know, if I turn slightly when I am getting my photo taken, it's because that side of me is hotter too.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I like my eggs crispy both sides so...

Cooling is better when its even. You don't wanna burn your togue in some places and eat goo in another.

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
BUT YER SUPER FLUFFY! (randomizer) Wow, I need to 1. stop 2. read 3. think and 4. post or NOT post. Oh well. I guess I have.. yes..
FAILED.

Had to edit this because amdfangirl beat me to the post. Ninja.

I get a double FAIL.