Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD reports narrower loss; stock surges!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Chip
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 18, 2008 6:46:25 PM

Article:
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amd-sees-stock-su...{CA6F071D-B3B3-4597-97BE-2089840FB48D}&dist=msr_43

AMD are coming back with a Bang!! Analyst called AMD's results impressive.....I'm also very impressed. Looks like ATI was worthwhile after all!....Lets all celebrate AMD's recent achievements!

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Advanced Micro Devices Inc. rose sharply Friday after the chip giant reported a narrower third-quarter loss, aided by strong sales of graphics and microprocessor chips, results that one analyst called "impressive."


Quote:
Still, given the problems that the chip giant has had over the past year, some analysts welcomed AMD's better-than-expected results.


Quote:
"Very impressive, even backing out one-time events," said analyst Doug Freedman of American Technology Research, noting the company pulled off "very solid execution in a very tough market."


Quote:
Some analysts also noted that AMD's 2006 acquisition of ATI Technologies, which resulted in a huge financial burden on the chip company, now appears to be paying off as the company steadily gains momentum against other rivals, led by Nvidia Corp


:) 

AMD4Life!!

More about : amd reports narrower loss stock surges

October 18, 2008 7:46:25 PM

thunderman said:
Article:
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amd-sees-stock-su...{CA6F071D-B3B3-4597-97BE-2089840FB48D}&dist=msr_43

AMD are coming back with a Bang!! Analyst called AMD's results impressive.....I'm also very impressed. Looks like ATI was worthwhile after all!....Lets all celebrate AMD's recent achievements!

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Advanced Micro Devices Inc. rose sharply Friday after the chip giant reported a narrower third-quarter loss, aided by strong sales of graphics and microprocessor chips, results that one analyst called "impressive."


Quote:
Still, given the problems that the chip giant has had over the past year, some analysts welcomed AMD's better-than-expected results.


Quote:
"Very impressive, even backing out one-time events," said analyst Doug Freedman of American Technology Research, noting the company pulled off "very solid execution in a very tough market."


Quote:
Some analysts also noted that AMD's 2006 acquisition of ATI Technologies, which resulted in a huge financial burden on the chip company, now appears to be paying off as the company steadily gains momentum against other rivals, led by Nvidia Corp


:) 

AMD4Life!!


WOOOWHOOOO YEAH SUCK IT IN INTELFANBOYS, AMD DID NOT LOSE AS MUCH MONEY THIS QUARTER.


AMD4Life!!
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2008 8:20:23 PM

gallag said:
WOOOWHOOOO YEAH SUCK IT IN INTELFANBOYS, AMD DID NOT LOSE AS MUCH MONEY THIS QUARTER.


AMD4Life!!



But AMD lost money and Intel didnt..
October 18, 2008 8:26:37 PM

wait..your happy because even though they are still operating in the red, they aren't "as broke" as they expected?
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2008 9:08:49 PM

roofus said:
wait..your happy because even though they are still operating in the red, they aren't "as broke" as they expected?


I know...

its like


yeah im so proud your not that much of a looser but still a looser senario...


"Don't worry son last time you lost 20 - 0 and now its 8 - nill and were still blaming that damaged leg"

the leg being ati...

for god sake
October 18, 2008 10:22:58 PM

Hellboy said:
But AMD lost money and Intel didnt..

the joys of the lowest form of wit, is it possible they coud be lost upon some people?
October 18, 2008 10:34:01 PM

Just confirms what people following the hardware knows already, ATI cards is recommended on a broad ranges of prices and is the reason for their better-than-expected earnings. Hmm, should have invested in stock on the basis of whoever has the performance crown this year :p 
October 18, 2008 11:23:40 PM

All thanks to the hd 4870
a c 124 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 18, 2008 11:34:14 PM

After a really crappy end to 2007 AMD has pretty much delivered in 2008. If Deneb rolls and meets or exceeds expectations, AMD will enter 2009 on a high note.

As part of the UAE foundry agreement not only did they shed $1.2b in debt they will gain a cash infusion of $700m (first half of 2009?). I'm not sure about the remaining debt but I think sometime in 2012 it 'hits the fan'.

They (the AMD/UAE venture) need to break ground at Malta by June to keep their incentives. TSMC is getting up to speed on SOI - the thinking has to be Fusion is on schedule if there are no big dingleberries. It would be nice to see a new chipset on the enterprise side late this year or 1H of 2009.

With all their accounting trickery and sell-offs AMD will top $6b in revenues in 2008 (unless Q4 really, really goes in the crapper).

Looks like there's a little fight left in team green. Maybe we should start The Official Fan Club of AMD Thunderdom.
October 18, 2008 11:57:02 PM

1869060,4,140628 said:
But AMD lost money and Intel didnt..[/quotemsg

AMD's processors are better and cost less.

Take a look at the Penryn die for example. Its circuitry is all on one side of the chip while it's MAMMOTH cache is on the other. This creates an infrared imbalance.

The Phenom and Barcelona chips are evenly balanced and do not require a MAMMOTH cache.

AMD isn't guilty of anti trust violations...Intel is. Intel is afraid of AMD that's the only reason they violate the law.

When the suit is settled, AMD will be mopping the floor with Intel.
October 19, 2008 12:02:35 AM

enigma067 said:
1869060,4,140628 said:
But AMD lost money and Intel didnt..[/quotemsg

AMD's processors are better and cost less.

Take a look at the Penryn die for example. Its circuitry is all on one side of the chip while it's MAMMOTH cache is on the other. This creates an infrared imbalance.

The Phenom and Barcelona chips are evenly balanced and do not require a MAMMOTH cache.

AMD isn't guilty of anti trust violations...Intel is. Intel is afraid of AMD that's the only reason they violate the law.

When the suit is settled, AMD will be mopping the floor with Intel.
said:



Your ignorance appears to be showing.
October 19, 2008 12:06:49 AM

Holy AMD fanboys Batman! Did you guys just celebrate not sucking as much as you thought you did? LOL

Hey, I'm a longtime AMD user too but since they started sucking I switched to Intel. Maybe if they produced a better chip in the next few years my next build will be an AMD but until then I'll be happy with my "Intel inside."
October 19, 2008 12:23:00 AM

AMD tbh is only for the really cheap builds,I.E. Athlon 64 X2 and the Q9550.Other than that,it's all Intel,especially when it comes to Overclocking.

I DO hope the Deneb is much better than Core 2 quad,so I might get that,but then again,if it sucks,who wants it?

Core i7 sounds cool,but unless they HONESTLY are going to have decent overclocking(learning's not that bad,the hardware needs to be reliable AND be able to turn off the retarded HT : Intel : people use desktop processors for desktop programs,not servers,we don't need 8 threads for a system that really only uses 3-5 of them at a peak...)

One thing I DO hope the AMD Deneb is good at,is saving power,which is one of the things Intel isn't reserving for Nehalem(god damn i7 name)

@enigma067 : Please,not another one...
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 3:29:06 AM

Yippee !!!

I think in the thread for the last quarter results people were predicting at least a couple hundred million loss before breaking even with some Deneb sales early next year.

AMD fans can no longer whine at ATI being a bad investment either.

Dirk keeps his job !!

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 3:48:19 AM

w00t noob thread lol

best quote is TC's "Your ignorance is showing..."

Enigma... cover it up... I hate seeing ignorance so blatantly displayed
October 19, 2008 4:05:06 AM

The MarketWatch article does confirm my theory about economists in general.
October 19, 2008 4:34:55 AM

I'm not, by any means, an AMD fanboy and I'm delighted that they posted better than expected results and enjoyed a surge in their stock value. I wish AMD the best of luck with Deneb and I hope that the recent cash infusion enables them to compete in the high end bracket in the near future. If Intel and AMD were to stand on nearly equal footing, we'd win. We'd be the ones enjoying high end chips for less money.

When did CPU companies become football teams? We should all be hoping for tight competition that results in lower prices and higher performance.

These forums would be a better place if people were more rational and less like cheerleaders.
October 19, 2008 4:42:24 AM

I do love thunderman.

As for the speculation that it was ATI that drove up AMDs quartely earnings, allow me to put a damper on that. I was correct in TCs thread, AMD did sell its 200mm equipment. I was wrong in that it was not a chinese comapany. It was in fact a russian company, Angstrem, the same company that bought AMDs 130mm equipment.

The links:

http://www.tcmagazine.info/comments.php?shownews=21330

Quote:
Angstrem, a Russian manufacturer who has previously bought AMD's 130nm equipment has again made business with the Sunnyvale Phenom maker and breaker and got the 200mm building machines in a deal worth about 132 million Euro.


For those who dont know, right now 132 mill Euro is equivelent to about $178 million USD.


http://www.dvhardware.net/article29189.html

http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/artikel.asp?id=1912570
the translation:

Quote:
Dresden / Moscow. The U.S. chip manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has machinery and technology of its older factory in Dresden Fab30 at the Russian electronics group Angstrem sold. This company is currently in Zelenograd near Moscow a chip factory, the end of 2009 its production to absorb.

Angstrem chief Anatoly Soukhaparov said his company has a 815-million-euro credit received. "The money is mainly for the purchase of equipment and AMD in Dresden developed copper technology (CMOS) used," he said. According to AMD vice president in Russia, Pierre Brunswick, have the U.S. State Department and the EU agreed to the transfer of technology. The Russians received machines that produce chips on 200 millimeter wafers allow large. AMD is currently the Fab30 to Fab38 in order to 300 millimeter production.

AMD spokeswoman Karin Magistrate said only that there were several machines to semiconductor manufacturers have been sold, including Angstrem. "With the customers has been agreed." The proceeds from the sale puts the hochdefizitäre U.S. companies for the second quarter converted to 132 million euros.

AMD denied claims by Angstrem spokesman Dmitri Snameski under which the Americans Athlon and Opteron processors can produce in Russia. "This can not be said," it said. For months, there are rumors, AMD would outsource its manufacturing. For the construction of Fab38 competent manager Elke Eckstein left the company. AMD in Dresden has 2 800 employees



At todays exchange, the USD is 1.34 to 1 Euro, putting todays value of 132 million Euros equal to $178 miilion USD, as I noted above. At the actual time of the sale however, the euro was much stronger against the dollar, at 1.55 dollars to 1 Euro, meaning that todays 132 mil euro value of $178mil USD was actually $205 million USD at the time of the sale. Subtract that from AMDs reported loss of $67 mill USD and you suddenly get a $272 million loss for Q3.

So much for ATI bolstering AMD, and with the exception of a few died in the wool fanboys, I think we can all agree it certainly wasnt phenom B3 that helped AMD this quarter either.

But then, anyone who paid the least little attention already knew that AMDs 3Q report would be better than expected due to the sale.

Oh, just as a BTW, you gotta love AMDs latest spin on selling its fabs:

"AMD & ATI to form new Leading Edge Foundry"

as if they are in fact not selling their fabs but creating something totally new and unique. :sarcastic: 

Opps, almost forgot to feed my favorite troll.




a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 8:21:05 AM

enigma067 said:


Take a look at the Penryn die for example. Its circuitry is all on one side of the chip while it's MAMMOTH cache is on the other. This creates an infrared imbalance.

Uh-oh, run for the hills, one side of the die is hotter than the other!

You know, if I turn slightly when I am getting my photo taken, it's because that side of me is hotter too.
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 10:02:34 AM

randomizer said:
Uh-oh, run for the hills, one side of the die is hotter than the other!

You know, if I turn slightly when I am getting my photo taken, it's because that side of me is hotter too.


I like my eggs crispy both sides so...

Cooling is better when its even. You don't wanna burn your togue in some places and eat goo in another.
October 19, 2008 10:04:46 AM

BUT YER SUPER FLUFFY! (randomizer) Wow, I need to 1. stop 2. read 3. think and 4. post or NOT post. Oh well. I guess I have.. yes..
FAILED.

Had to edit this because amdfangirl beat me to the post. Ninja.

I get a double FAIL.
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 10:17:20 AM

amdfangirl said:
I like my eggs crispy both sides so...

Flip it!
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 19, 2008 10:17:42 AM

enigma067 said:
1869060,4,140628 said:
But AMD lost money and Intel didnt..[/quotemsg

AMD's processors are better and cost less.

Take a look at the Penryn die for example. Its circuitry is all on one side of the chip while it's MAMMOTH cache is on the other. This creates an infrared imbalance.

The Phenom and Barcelona chips are evenly balanced and do not require a MAMMOTH cache.

AMD isn't guilty of anti trust violations...Intel is. Intel is afraid of AMD that's the only reason they violate the law.

When the suit is settled, AMD will be mopping the floor with Intel.
said:


Same old same old. Your tune never changes.

BTW even if the suits go through chances are AMD wont see much if not any of the money. The last few countries that fined Intel got all the money. Strange.

jaragon13 said:
AMD tbh is only for the really cheap builds,I.E. Athlon 64 X2 and the Q9550.Other than that,it's all Intel,especially when it comes to Overclocking.

I DO hope the Deneb is much better than Core 2 quad,so I might get that,but then again,if it sucks,who wants it?

Core i7 sounds cool,but unless they HONESTLY are going to have decent overclocking(learning's not that bad,the hardware needs to be reliable AND be able to turn off the retarded HT : Intel : people use desktop processors for desktop programs,not servers,we don't need 8 threads for a system that really only uses 3-5 of them at a peak...)

One thing I DO hope the AMD Deneb is good at,is saving power,which is one of the things Intel isn't reserving for Nehalem(god damn i7 name)

@enigma067 : Please,not another one...


I was going to say. Core i7 impliments even better energy savers. But Phenom vs C2Q its almost equal clock per clock power wise even with Phenoms more advanced power savings.

But what Core i7 has is crazy. Its basically what a laptop has. Will shut down the inactive cores along with downclocking the multi when its not needed at full strength and even in between. That should be interesting to see in action.

randomizer said:
Uh-oh, run for the hills, one side of the die is hotter than the other!

You know, if I turn slightly when I am getting my photo taken, it's because that side of me is hotter too.


Lol. Get your good side eh? I don't have one. I'm just hot either way. :D 
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 10:23:36 AM

jimmysmitty said:

Lol. Get your good side eh? I don't have one. I'm just hot either way. :D 

I find it difficult to decide which is better though. :sol: 
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 12:51:28 PM

I imagine the cache is likely to get a flogging (heatwise) then based on that physical layout of the cores ... all on ones side with the cores on the other.

Enigma made a good observation ... it is quite different from Barcelona.

I'd be very interested in seeing some infrared tests of the heat signatures on a die.

I wonder how you would actually do it ... what sort of measuring gear?

A worthy point.

October 19, 2008 3:16:12 PM

randomizer said:
Uh-oh, run for the hills, one side of the die is hotter than the other!

You know, if I turn slightly when I am getting my photo taken, it's because that side of me is hotter too.



You're a noob.


On Intel, one side is hotter than the other.

However, Phenom is superior, because all sides are hotter!
October 19, 2008 3:27:42 PM

enigma067 said:


Take a look at the Penryn die for example. Its circuitry is all on one side of the chip while it's MAMMOTH cache is on the other. This creates an infrared imbalance.



And how would that impact anything in particular?

Just so you know, ALUs and decoders are usually the heat source on the CPU, not the cache. I need to find the article JJ once posted.
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 3:30:48 PM

spuddyt said:
the joys of the lowest form of wit, is it possible they coud be lost upon some people?



Oh I do try to be funny...

Just keep missing Turpits golden cup tho...

Anyway maybe ATI will loose 200 million next quarter as they have sold off all they can manufacture with...

Oh and Hector Ruiz will take a large lump of that too...

Maybe Phantom and Phenom were to close for us to realize the total outcome...

But we just keep on feeding THGs most famous troll.
October 19, 2008 5:10:52 PM

I dont know why everyone is getting their skivies in a wad. As a CPU manufacturer, AMD has demonstrated a sudden preternatural accumen as a retailer of CPU manufacturing euiptment.
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 6:08:26 PM




AMD sales force on selling its manufacturing plants..

Also AMD are chucking in a few processors with each item sold...
October 19, 2008 7:09:05 PM

Hellboy said:
http://www.funnysign.com/funnysign/006_stuff_4_sale.jpg


AMD sales force on selling its manufacturing plants..

Also AMD are chucking in a few processors with each item sold...



LOL.

I am concerned that AMD is selling off long-term assets to solve a short-term money issue. But what can you do? AMD needs money to survive and the current credit market is HORRIBLE. It may be AMD's only option.
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2008 8:02:30 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
LOL.

I am concerned that AMD is selling off long-term assets to solve a short-term money issue. But what can you do? AMD needs money to survive and the current credit market is HORRIBLE. It may be AMD's only option.




Yeah I know, but I blatantly tell the truth and that some times upsets people...


I am a AMDfan but im not in denial.. Infact when AMD had the 64 out that was the only processor I was using so you could say I have been on AMD's side.....

But alas.... I faced facts that this ride is gonna be tough for AMD...

Intel has really not let them recover, or given them any grace what so ever.
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2008 1:34:59 PM

You two want to get a room ??
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2008 2:11:03 PM

Reynod said:
You two want to get a room ??



Well as long as there is Duff beer in the fridge - who cares.... oh and women on tap... :) 
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2008 2:53:32 PM

Iv'e changed my mind about you ... your ok.

I'm giving you two free abuse reynod vouchers.

TC pinched the rest from me when I wasn't looking ...
October 20, 2008 3:05:09 PM

Reynod said:
Iv'e changed my mind about you ... your ok.

I'm giving you two free abuse reynod vouchers.

TC pinched the rest from me when I wasn't looking ...



"ABUSE REYNOD" vouchers for all! With TC as president you will be REQUIRED, mandated by LAW, to abuse Reynod!
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2008 3:34:27 PM

Surely you have used them all up by now??

Does Hellbot (Iv'e affectionately renamed him) know about the Boston Tea Party yet TC?

We got rid of the British here for a couple of hundred years by ignoring them and having a quiet life.

Some bozo then started marketing Australia as a tourist destination and now they are immigrating in droves.

I will have processed over 130 migrant Plumbers to WA this year alone, and hired 8 pommy staff by Chrissy.

I should be abused for helping making it easier to get here.

Oh ... we took two yanks too ... civil engineers. They are good at leveling stuff ... the yanks are.

Must have something to do with learning from watching the tornadoes eh?

a c 124 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2008 3:58:05 PM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Could I ask one favor?

Take back Rupert Murdoch.

Please.
October 20, 2008 4:03:07 PM

Wisecracker said:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Could I ask one favor?

Take back Rupert Murdoch.

Please.


+1
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2008 10:45:40 PM

^Hey I like his older movies. He is crazy now TBH but Leathal Weapon was good. And the Patriot. Especially the part where the cannon ball decapatates the guy hehe.
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2008 12:47:52 AM

dont forget Russell Crowe
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2008 1:04:46 AM

Tom Cruise FTW!

















:pfff: 
October 21, 2008 2:06:39 AM






randomizer said:
Tom Cruise FTW! :pfff: 


There is no fail expansive enough to encompass this amount of fail
















a b à CPUs
October 21, 2008 4:36:40 AM

You love him and you know it :kaola: 
October 21, 2008 4:44:32 AM

randomizer said:
You love him and you know it :kaola: 

a b à CPUs
October 21, 2008 4:49:03 AM

:lol: 
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2008 6:35:13 AM

randomizer said:
:lol: 




Didnt you really mean Nicole Kidman surely..

Anyway shes a real sweety... I want her to have my babies... etc etc...
October 21, 2008 7:13:38 AM

Quote:
Take a look at the Penryn die for example. Its circuitry is all on one side of the chip while it's MAMMOTH cache is on the other. This creates an infrared imbalance.

The Phenom and Barcelona chips are evenly balanced and do not require a MAMMOTH cache.

We're talking about millimeter distances that a heat spreader is designed for. You don't build the chip to spread heat around; you build it to minimize latency and directly increase performance/clocking headroom.

If you build the chip all spread out, it may run cool but you'll never get it to clock high. If you build it compacted, then to run it fast, you simply turn up the cooling.

Phenom's L3 forms a pretty square around the cores. Its latency is also horrible for its size (smaller the cache, faster it should be); thank God they have Brisbane-sized L2s for each core.

Quote:
todays 132 mil euro value of $178mil USD was actually $205 million USD at the time of the sale. Subtract that from AMDs reported loss of $67 mill USD and you suddenly get a $272 million loss for Q3.

Unless the manufacturing equipment was completely depreciated (about to be "written off"), the profit from a sale isn't the entirety of the sale amount. Without knowing the book value of their equipment, we cannot even know that they profited, though we can make an educated guess that they probably made more than they expected for outdated equipment.
      • 1 / 3
      • 2
      • 3
      • Newest
!