NVIDIA's GeForce 9 also hit by failures? (Shocking)

This doesn't look good for Nvidia at all....defective hardware. Shame on Nvidia...shame on them tut tut.

Artice: http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/08/29/nvidia.geforce.9.failures/
Related Article: http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/08/12/nvidia.desktop.gpu.risk/

Quotes:

Quote:
NVIDIA's widely publicized video chip failures may also touch on the most recent GeForce 9 series as well as older models, if data leaked to The Inquirer are authentic. The documents allege that NVIDIA has ordered a change in conductor material to fix the problem not only for GeForce 8 cards made on a 65 nanometer process, such as the 8800 GT, but also many cards using the newer 55 nanometer technique for the same chips; this would expand the failures to include most GeForce 9 series parts

Quote:
The company has already made its component switch and should be shipping functional cards but also notes in the memo that it will continue shipping cards built with the older material until supplies run out. The move is estimated to leave many of the potentially defective cards on sale until some cards based on the platform are drained entirely

Quote:
Consequences of the slow changeover could be particularly dire with claimed failure rates as high as the "teens" for the 8800 GT and higher still for the 9600 GT, according to the claim

AMD taking Nvidia market share! AMD are the masters! AMD care about their customers!

AMD4Life!!
58 answers Last reply
More about nvidia geforce failures shocking
  1. Thunderman is back, yay! Come on man, at least post it when it's new. It seems to be the norm to ship defective parts now, AMD led the way with Phenom X3, and now this. I can't say my 9600GT is dying on me right now, it happily folds away. If anything, the caps are dying (quiet high-pitched noise), not the GPU.
  2. Old news but i tend to think.

Due to the syntax that thunderman uses, together with the style of the posts.

Is thunderman a chinese gold farmer-bot ? Even the name resembles something from the manga scene.
    I wonder.
  3. A phenom X3 is no more defective than pipeline cut graphics cards of the previous generation were "defects". The B2 phenom stepping on the other hand...
  4. randomizer said:
    Thunderman is back, yay! Come on man, at least post it when it's new. It seems to be the norm to ship defective parts now, AMD led the way with Phenom X3, and now this. I can't say my 9600GT is dying on me right now, it happily folds away. If anything, the caps are dying (quiet high-pitched noise), not the GPU.

x3 is defective?????
    and the bug that plagued x4 only hung the system on rare occasions when they where clocked at high frequency......
    nvidia chips is said to crack or something that would make them useless......
  5. HOPEFULLY im not gonna read the next defects are in the gtx200 series!
    if my 2 gtx260 in sli become defected you can assume someones gonna get sued!
    =]
  6. Technically the x3 is defective since their made from x4 dies and my 9600gt & 8500gt are still happily running
  7. Well my mom's 8600 GS died recently, not sure if it was because of something like this. I'll wait to see if more sites publish this before I draw any conclusions though.

And welcome back Thunderman. I'll take you over Concrum any day of the week.
  8. radnor said:
    Old news but i tend to think.

Due to the syntax that thunderman uses, together with the style of the posts.

Is thunderman a chinese gold farmer-bot ? Even the name resembles something from the manga scene.
    I wonder.

Manga is Japanese...has nothing to do with China...

But yeah,Thunderman is definitely one of the most biased people I know on here.
  9. blackwidow_rsa said:
    Technically the x3 is defective since their made from x4 dies and my 9600gt & 8500gt are still happily running

It would be defective if it had been sold as an X4, but since the 3 cores run just fine, its not defective.

Hmm, looks like I might be upgrading my 8800GT SLi setup sooner than I expected. Guess we'll see.
  10. seeing how this information does come from the inquirer, i would take this with a grain of salt. they may have been right about the G84/G86 parts being defective, but for all other gpu's made after that to be defective as well is a bit hard to believe. i don't think nvidia could let such a major flaw slip through to the 8800GT/GTS 512 and the geforce 9/200 series as well.
  11. Interesting, though I could do without the usual thunderman drivel. Seeing as the 9 series is so close to the 8 series, I guess they wouldn't have changed the material. Seeing as they are different, does anyone know if the GTX series is also plagued? I also happen to agree. Its a bit shocking that a company would continue to sell bad products. At least AMD admitted their issue with the x4, and stopped selling them to customers that would be effected. (mostly anyways.)

Quote:
    and the bug that plagued x4 only hung the system on rare occasions when they where clocked at high frequency.

Actually, not true. While the bug very rarely happened, it would happen at any frequency. It was an issues with the various caches on the chip, CPU speed didn't have anything to do with it.
  12. http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/28/nvidia-55nm-parts-bad
    Quote:
    The next part is a description of what we already knew and told you about on the last PCN story. To use their words, "Nvidia will transition from using high-lead solder (95%Pb/5%Sn) to eutectic solder (63%Sn/37%Pb) flip-chip bump material for the G92 product family. During the transition period Nvidia will be supplying both high-lead and eutectic bump until inventory is depleted. No other materials are being changed."

hmm thats funny.
    The new bump material, eutectic tin-lead, is not allowed in the EU anymore, since june 2006, as a part of the RoHS directive. You might have noticed the RoHS stickers on new consumer electronics products recently (even in the global market...).
    I think they might have originally meant eutectic tin-silver-copper (Sn/3.0Ag/0.5Cu or there abouts)
  13. as i said when this was posted b4 if uv got good cooling ur card will be fine but if the card is stuck in a case with no fans its, by by card

but shame on nvidia for still selling the cards, i for one will never buy of a company that has no respect for its customers. so all yous that are still recommending the bad gpus i have no respect for yous as well

note to nvidia, COME CLEAN!
  14. I'm not sure this means that the GeForce 8 and 9 series cards are defective. techreport.com had a poll running a couple weeks ago asking if their visitors 9 series cards had failed and few of them had problems (not that that's a great representative sample though).

I could be wrong, sure, but it seems more likely it was just easier for nVidia to exchange the older material for new material on all their manufacturing processes rather than just the ones effected by the failing chips.
  15. Ryun said:
    I'm not sure this means that the GeForce 8 and 9 series cards are defective. techreport.com had a poll running a couple weeks ago asking if their visitors 9 series cards had failed and few of them had problems (not that that's a great representative sample though).

I could be wrong, sure, but it seems more likely it was just easier for nVidia to exchange the older material for new material on all their manufacturing processes rather than just the ones effected by the failing chips.

so naive
  16. my 9600gt is running strong oc'd and heavy gaming, I have plenty of friends with geforce 8/9 series cards and a couple even with the mobile ones and none of them have failed.
  17. whats ur cooling like
  18. Even if the Nvidia cards are defective, many Nvidia vendors offer lifetime warranty, so I don't see any reason to panic unless you V-modded the card or something.
  19. randomizer said:
    Thunderman is back, yay! Come on man, at least post it when it's new. It seems to be the norm to ship defective parts now, AMD led the way with Phenom X3, and now this. I can't say my 9600GT is dying on me right now, it happily folds away. If anything, the caps are dying (quiet high-pitched noise), not the GPU.

True, and dont forget those Intel thermal sensors in their cpus of late
  20. Well at least they finally released the Tjmax on the 45nm cpus.
  21. Im just pointing out that every company has had its problems. Some greater than others, but I see no reason to leave Intel off those ranks. Mistakes suck. That means it gets to us, the consumer. Rectifying those mistakes, and how its done, and how long it takes, tell alot about a company
  22. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    Im just pointing out that every company has had its problems. Some greater than others, but I see no reason to leave Intel off those ranks. Mistakes suck. That means it gets to us, the consumer. Rectifying those mistakes, and how its done, and how long it takes, tell alot about a company

if you go back i think it was the Pentium 1 or 2 that if adding up numbers in a certain way would crash but intel offered to replace those bad chips or AMD with there TLB errata all right they sold them to OEMs but they never sold them to us,
    its the mark of a company how they deal with there problems not just do an emu and stick its head in the sand, i for one will not buy of a company that acts that way but if you want to be a sheep baa to you
  23. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    True, and dont forget those Intel thermal sensors in their cpus of late

You make a good point my friend. Add Intel to the list!
    Anonymous said:
    Well at least they finally released the Tjmax on the 45nm cpus.

So?
  24. It took them some time, but theyve responded. nVidia has responded as well, tho this problem is much more dire. Becausre theyve changed the bump, when they found a problem in 1 area, it only makes sense to carry out the solution to all units. This shouldnt make all units suseptable tho. DT so far semms ok, but laptops have shown problems, and always will present a higher thermal problem
  25. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    It took them some time, but theyve responded.

In what way? Oh that's right, "Core i7 will be better, we promise!"
  26. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    It took them some time, but theyve responded. nVidia has responded as well, tho this problem is much more dire. Becausre theyve changed the bump, when they found a problem in 1 area, it only makes sense to carry out the solution to all units. This shouldnt make all units suseptable tho. DT so far semms ok, but laptops have shown problems, and always will present a higher thermal problem

so ur saying its ok for nvidia to sell the defective GPUs to us as long as they clear there stock
  27. It all depends on the severity of the numbers. If theyre that high, then yes. Some people will have perfectly fine results, even with the worse affected model. To put a stop and have all these recalled doesnt make sense, what does is full coverage of the problems as they occur. The real question here should be, is the bump material thats ben used inferior in any way, or missapplied in any way, or was the TDP from nVidia simply wrong? If its the bump material, then whore we going to have fix this? The people who did it? Its unfortunate, but it does happen. Tough call, but personally? I wouldnt buy one
  28. my 9800 XT is still runnig would that be a bonus:D?
  29. At least NVIDIA admit there is a problem and are fixing it now. Intel don't want to fix their DTS until Core i7.
  30. Id keep an eye on that 9800, and thats no joke. Talk to Maziar about his
  31. LOl isn't his the one that turned into Crossfire 2 pieces? :D
  32. LOL I do feel bad about it tho. Hes at school now, bought the thing overseas (had an uncle buy it) and is really stuck as theres no Dell outlet in his country or something of the sort
  33. Intel wants to create as many reasons to upgrade to core i7 as possible. Of course they don't want to fix the DTS.
    BTW the sensor's on AMD's phenom and brisbane cores is much worse.
  34. I still don't quite get the big issue with those defective chips, besides the big mob outside nVidias lawn.

I mean, let's be fair here. Like previous posters have stated, almost all chipsets/pricessors and chips in general come out with bugs that MUST be reported, so this fuss about nVidias chips sounds like a big soap opera from Venezuela (and i like them, lol).

If u have a defective chip, what does it make to your rig? Does the video card fries with no apparent reason? Does it get glitches with normal temps? Do other components start to phail when paired to that defective video card? All of the above? lol

Esop!
  35. modtech said:
    Intel wants to create as many reasons to upgrade to core i7 as possible.

This was, IMHO, the point of Intel's presentation at IDF.
  36. There is a big difference between the already mentioned AMD and Intel bugs and this one. So the thermal sensor doesn't work correctly, or there is some extreme math bug that gives you a wrong answer if you do some weird math. (or locks up your computer if you happen to hit some TLB bug.) Even if you hit one of these bugs, your system will continue to work. Nvidia's problem isn't so much a bug, but bad manufacturing. Apparently the solder used isn't up to the heat that a GPU can make, so it will physically come apart. When this happens, your video card is dead.

What I find more disturbing is Nvidia's response to this problem. Intel had a math problem, and pulled the CPUs. AMD had a TLB problem, and stopped selling them to most people. Both of these responses are "good", as it stops any farther damage to the company. Nvidia on the other hand feels its ok to continue to sell them until inventory is cleared. In my opinion its ok to have bugs/issues with your product, you can never really be 100% sure about anything. But to continue to sell something that is known to be bad, that is something else entirely.

But hey, thats the way your meant to be played. So I guess it's ok?
  37. 4745454b said:
    There is a big difference between the already mentioned AMD and Intel bugs and this one. So the thermal sensor doesn't work correctly, or there is some extreme math bug that gives you a wrong answer if you do some weird math. (or locks up your computer if you happen to hit some TLB bug.) Even if you hit one of these bugs, your system will continue to work. Nvidia's problem isn't so much a bug, but bad manufacturing. Apparently the solder used isn't up to the heat that a GPU can make, so it will physically come apart. When this happens, your video card is dead.

What I find more disturbing is Nvidia's response to this problem. Intel had a math problem, and pulled the CPUs. AMD had a TLB problem, and stopped selling them to most people. Both of these responses are "good", as it stops any farther damage to the company. Nvidia on the other hand feels its ok to continue to sell them until inventory is cleared. In my opinion its ok to have bugs/issues with your product, you can never really be 100% sure about anything. But to continue to sell something that is known to be bad, that is something else entirely.

But hey, thats the way your meant to be played. So I guess it's ok?

i feel the same way, and the cox that are still buying them and the cox that still recommend them deserve every thing that coming 2 them, but i value my reputation they dont
  38. The problem is this. We dont have the numbers. nVidias promised to "fix" the problems. I know a 2% failure rate on certain products , in some scenarios is the achieved goal, anything higher and its a failure, higher than that and its a recall. Maybe they havnt reached recall numbers?
  39. Some1 is one hell of a business man:)

The man speaks truth!

I'd want to add to that, but really, I can't:D Enjoy
  40. jaydeejohn i value ur opinion but it is nvidia we are talking about
  41. Every1 hates Nvidia for their ways, but lets not approach the situation as fan boys, more as users:)

Ati is doing a good job, but I'm sure every1 is hoping that Nvidia starts hitting back so that we can continue with the price drops:)
  42. Im giving them the benefit of doubt to be sure. If theyre paying out rope, they could end up hanging themselves. I dont give em a pass, as I said earlier, if I were buying a mobile/lappy today, it wouldnt have nVidia in it at all
  43. proud owner of 2 8800gt's with friends who have 8800gt's and 9600gt's.... haven't heard of a problem yet....
  44. fantom-feltpen said:
    proud owner of 2 8800gt's with friends who have 8800gt's and 9600gt's.... haven't heard of a problem yet....

There you go.

I understand better the issue with the cards and it really sucks. I don't want to live with worries about my card failing on me on any given time.

Anyway, thanks for explaining it 4745454b!

Esop!
  45. No problem. Someone on this forum posted a link that shows the makeup of the new solder, and it apparently isn't RoHS compliant. Does this mean the new cards can't be sold in Europe? Does the USA get the good ones while the ones that MIGHT fail get shipped overseas? I'm sorry Nvidia, you should be doing better then this.
  46. 4745454b said:
    Someone on this forum posted a link that shows the makeup of the new solder, and it apparently isn't RoHS compliant.

:non:
  47. 4745454b said:
    No problem. Someone on this forum posted a link that shows the makeup of the new solder, and it apparently isn't RoHS compliant. Does this mean the new cards can't be sold in Europe? Does the USA get the good ones while the ones that MIGHT fail get shipped overseas? I'm sorry Nvidia, you should be doing better then this.

Or the news article wasn't 100% correct on the matter.
  48. randomizer said:
    :non:

Rather then just shaking something at me, would you kindly tell us what its made from then? The forum post might have been wrong, he did say something about that solder makeup made no sense.
  49. 4745454b said:
    Rather then just shaking something at me, would you kindly tell us what its made from then? The forum post might have been wrong, he did say something about that solder makeup made no sense.

I was shaking my finger at NVIDIA for not using RoHS compliant materials, not at you. I should have made it more obvious, sorry.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce Nvidia Graphics Product