Sign in with
Your question

New build, can not get Vista to install.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Windows Vista
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2008 4:39:12 AM

whats goin on guys. i just put everything together on my new build. started it up and everything seems to be running fine, i can accesses the BIOS and do whatever I need to do. now the problem is, when i try to install vista, it boots up from the DVD drive fine. it gets passed the loading files screen and passed the green bar. After the green bar, it goes to a blue vista themed background, after that, it just stays there. i can still move my mouse around.

this is the vista i am trying to install:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

my specs are:
q9450
hd4870
gigabyte ga-x48-ds4
corsair 750w
g.skill ddr2 4gb pc1066
samsung dvd-rw oem
harddrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : build vista install

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
August 8, 2008 4:49:53 AM

I don't think vista installs with 4 GB.. try removing a stick
August 8, 2008 5:05:14 AM

I also recommend removing a stick or two. I have heard of people having problems loading vista with more than 2gigs of memory.
Related resources
August 8, 2008 5:13:30 AM

thanks for the suggestions guys, i tried to remove one stick of RAM (2x2) and still the same problem exist :( 
August 8, 2008 5:29:17 AM

m-triple said:
thanks for the suggestions guys, i tried to remove one stick of RAM (2x2) and still the same problem exist :( 

When I installed Vista, I had trouble with the CD/DVD drive on two different machines. Neither one gave any indication that it didn't like the drive, but once I changed to a different on it installed fine. So Vista installed on 1 out of 3 of my drives. You can try swapping the drive for your install. Like the RAM suggestion, it's kinda a long shot, but worth a try.
August 8, 2008 6:04:40 AM

How long did you wait, I built a similar system today (it installed with 4gig of mem) and Vista sat on that screen for a good 30 minutes before it did anything.
August 8, 2008 6:14:31 AM

i just changed the sata dvd drive to my old ide dvd drive and the same problem exist

g0ne-
i waited for about 7 mins, maybe 10 mins, ill give it a longer run this time
August 8, 2008 6:21:22 AM

Try installing Vista OS with 1 DIMM of your G. Skill PC8500 in slot 1 only. In BIOS, BE SURE to set the memory voltage to 2.1v. If that fails, try a different hard drive.
August 8, 2008 6:54:40 AM

On my DFI motherboard I had to disable the PPM function in the genie part of the bios.
Then I was able to load and run Vista.
I have no idea what PPM is or does but the system works fine with it off.
August 8, 2008 7:28:07 AM

see if theres a detection problem. Unplug your hard drives and try to get through the windows setup all the way to where it asks you where to install. if it gets to that screen there is either a bad hard disk or a configuration problem
August 8, 2008 7:41:40 AM

thanks for the suggestions guys. i pretty much did what g0ne said and it worked!!! had to wait about 40mins

okay i feel real stupid now lol
August 8, 2008 7:57:23 AM

I had no issues installing vista with 4Gig or more. There is no such thing as memory limitation during installation. I installed vista-ultimate on 4 Gig and 8 Gig PC and did not encounter any issues.

NEW HARDWARE:
You have a new set of HW. Your vista disc may not recognize some of it during installation. The most common is hard drive or raid controller. THE BIOS MAY RECOGNIZE IT BUT VISTA MAY NOT. You may need to install drivers at the early stage of OS installation where it prompt for 3rd party drivers.

Try to load vista with a different video card then plug it in after vista installation. This is just a wild guest.

Things to check at bios level:
1) Do you see your hard drives?
2) Are drives in correct configuration?
3) Does your memory register correctly
4)boot sequence defined correctly?
At Boot-up(check the screen)
1) Do you your video card
2) hard drives;
3) Hard drive raid status if confiured
4)optical drives

HARDWARE CONFLICT (INTERUPT ASSIGNMENTS):
The other potential issue is if you have a hardware conflict (interupt assignment). I hardly encounter this for while but some of your hardware may be sharing interupt assignments. Check your bios

Try to load vista with a different video card then plug it in after vista installation. This is just a wild guest.

Thanks hope this helps

August 8, 2008 1:27:41 PM

m-triple said:
thanks for the suggestions guys. i pretty much did what g0ne said and it worked!!! had to wait about 40mins

okay i feel real stupid now lol

Don't be. Ive seen Vista taking a lot more time on that screen. First time i tried the RC1 i cursed the hell out of that OS.

August 8, 2008 2:06:58 PM

first time I installed vista, it stayed on that screen for like 30 mins too...thought the computer got stuck but just left it there and went to go watch tv...when i came back, it had gone through :) 
!