Sign in with
Your question

Sound card is not detected until reboot

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2008 10:43:43 PM

Hey everyone...I've got a somewhat unique problem according to google.

Every time I turn my pc on in the morning, I have no sound. The software isn't running in the system tray, and the sound card is not detected in the device manager or anything. All is takes is a restart, or shutting it off and starting it back up to get everything to work properly.

The only time this happens is on a cold boot.

I've tried a few different things, but its annoying because I have to wait until the morning each day to try something else. Last night I went from F7 to F8 bios, and the newest official ATI drivers

The only suggestion I've gotten is that maybe my psu is somewhat faulty and is not able to give everything the power it needs on a cold boot. I need to unplug my dvd drive and 2 hdd's to test this, but I have only wanted to do 1 thing at a time. Maybe tonight I'll do this before I go to bed.

Any ideas?

I'm having a hard time believing its a faulty powersupply because the system runs fine other than this problem...games, torture tests, normal use, overclocked, stock speeds...it always repeats this problem though.

E8500
Gigabyte EP45-DS4P
G.Skill 2x2 gigs ddr2 1000
Visiontek HD 4870
80 + 160 + 500 gb hdds
Asus Xonar Dx
1 dvd-rw drive
Enermax Modu82+
Vista 64bit Home Premium SP1
October 19, 2008 1:05:56 AM

can you test your card in another pc ? Enermax only lists two Modu82+ psu's at 500w+,which should be more than enough,although you might want to check on the power requirements of your video card at rest and at work,,,
and if all looks good then just maybe you have a lemon ,it is properly seated and all that,,,,connectors clean all plugs in firmly and the right places,etc,etc..:) 
October 19, 2008 3:45:17 AM

I could test it in another rig eventually, waiting for the family computer to be backed up so I can replace it.

I just googled a bit and the psu has plenty of wattage for my setup. I'm having doubts about the faulty psu idea because I don't have any symptoms of a broken psu like random hangs or shutoffs.

Another forum suggested I reinstall the OS and go from there but I really don't want to do that unless its 100% going to fix the issue.

I would like to narrow it down to software or hardware. What confuses me is how it works perfectly all day, but then after its been off for a few hours (not sure how many it takes) it doesn't see the card anymore. I don't know if the sound card can even cause that, or if its the bios/motherboard/windows/something else?

And yeah, everything is plugged in. I checked the power chord a few days ago.

I've reinstalled the drivers multiple times for the sound card...should I maybe try again and run driver cleaner in between or something? Are the drivers even running yet when the card gets detected? It confuses me that the card isn't even in the device manager.
Related resources
December 14, 2008 9:00:16 AM

Hi was this problem ever resolved as i am having the same issue.
My Specs (very close to yours):

Windows XP
Gigabyte EP45-DS3P
intel Quad 2.4ghz 6600
Gigabyte HD 4870
Antec 500w NeoPower
500G, 320G, 300G Seagate HDDs
SoundBlaster X-fi Extreme Audio

Everything runs perfectly but when turning the PC on in the morning i have to restart the computer before the sound card is detected.

Have disabled the onboard sound card, checked all setting on bios. Got latest audio drivers and bios. Have disabled gigabyte power save application from running.

Dont really want to reinstall windows unless i have too...

Any other ideas?
April 15, 2009 5:39:26 AM

has anyone solved this issue? i have the same thing with the ds4p but with a TV TUNER, so its affecting all pCI-e devices?

!