Your question
Solved

Hard Disk Noise

Last response: in Storage
January 2, 2010 11:25:51 PM

I just got my order in from Newegg

1.5TB Caviar Greens WD15EADS 2X
Blax Duet Sata Dock

I hooked them both up and encrypted them both with Truecrypt Ext3... They seem to be working fine I copied a ton of data to both of them but they seem to both be making a low alternating murmur sound similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9obzgmWrlM

Its not overly loud and everything I read says this is a normal sound but what concerns me is it does it non stop even when I unplug the USB cable to the dock and just let them power up.... is it normal to have them making a sound when absolutely nothing is accessing them?

Edit: Just noticed this not far down the list http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254460-32-hard-drive-... but the only reply suggests the drives are bad.... this contradicts everything else I have read on the common noise but I still have yet to find anything about them making the noise non stop even when not accessed.

Edit2: Going to scan them with MHDD see what it turns up... wish I would have waited and go the Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD154UI... already have two of them and they are dead silent after initialization.

More about : hard disk noise

January 4, 2010 4:12:20 AM

I am even more confused now... I did an MHDD scan on the entrie disk and it turns out 90%+ sectors respond in 3ms but now I just started to copy more files to it and this time I payed attention to it and it make virtually no sound while writing seriously what the hell how can a drive make more noise idle then while its active??????
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 4, 2010 10:21:46 AM

Your drives are exposed so it's normal they make more sound than drives inside a box or internal drives.
The noise may also come from vibrations so you may want to check that.
Related resources
January 4, 2010 11:54:14 AM

Mimoso said:
Your drives are exposed so it's normal they make more sound than drives inside a box or internal drives.
The noise may also come from vibrations so you may want to check that.

Any idea why they would make almost no noise while active but I can hear a kind of alternating murmur while they are idle?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2010 1:32:44 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
!