Seril

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
Hi,

My Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.0ghz) has been idling at 50-59C and when under load (playing Warhammer or another computer game), it raises up to 62-65 C and will occasionally spike over 69C, causing the computer to crash. It's well ventilated, and I've replaced the stock thermal paste with Arctic Silver, which didn't show any improvement. I'm still using the stock heatsink + fan (Not confident enough to take off the motherboard to bolt a new one on, though I suppose I could find a decent one with pins) - though I tested a friend's Hyper TX2 heatsink and it only lowered the temperature by 2-3 C, which may have just been random.

I use RivaTuner to monitor the temperature and set the fans to 100% - I'm sure they're all working and there should be more than enough room for sufficient airflow inside the case. I'm really stumped by this - do I just have a defective core or something?

Here are all of my CPU Z tabs for the other computer stats, and what it's typically running after boot. I'm running an 8800 GTS video card, and the temperature of the room the computer is in has usually been 75-80 F throughout the summer. Any help would be really appreciated.

falcodakrzz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Your say 'the stock thermal paste with Arctic Silver'. Did you apply arctic silver without removing the stock? If so thats probably your problem. Otherwise id try reseating your heatsink, and if your still not sure check that the pins are right through on the back of the board.

Seril

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
I did remove the stock thermal paste before applying the AS, and I'm positive the heatsink is properly mounted as tight as it can be.

Mondoman

Splendid
Either the stock hsf isn't quite fully seated (which is the problem 80% of the time), or the airflow through the case is insufficient. To check the latter, try running the computer with the side of the case removed -- if that drops your temps, then case ventilation is the issue.
As for seating the hsf fully, the pins need to be pushed in with the MB outside the case, so the back of the MB can be supported by your fingers while pushing the pins through. Also, make sure each pin is turned completely in the direction *opposite* the arrow on top before pushing down on the pin.