Sign in with
Your question

probs w/ wife's computer...

Last response: in Components
October 19, 2008 12:26:22 AM

Was not sure which forum section to post this to...

After my wife's comp boots up to the Windows desktop, within about 1-2 minutes, we get this error window:

"Generic host process for Win32 has encountered a problem...'
Details: "svchost.exe.mdmp' and "WER58bb.DIR00\appcompat.txt"
"SZ App Name: svchost.exe sz App Ver: 5.1.2600.2180
SZ Mod Name: w32time.dll Offset: 0000235a"

Then, a bit later... another eroor window:
"An exception breakpoint occured at appl at 0x767c335a"

Every 5 minutes or so we get these error messages.
About a week ago, I replaced the HD with a new SATA II WD, got a new video card w/ the latest drivers, and replaced the existing memory with new memeory. I formatted new HD, installed Win XP Pro, and then Serv Pack 2. Before I replaced these components, we were getting the same error messages, but also w/ random lock-ups, and/or programs would run incredibly slowly.

Still getting all the error messages, and now having quite a problem trying to set up the home network...and, some programs I'm trying to re-install...won't install ( ex- chessmaster10)... and everything still running very slowly...

Components:
Asus P4P800 Deluxe 7/21/2003 Bios
cpu: Pent 4 2.6ghz
HD: new WD Sata
Vid Card: new nVidia GeForce 6200
Memory: new 2 sticks of Corsair (2 gig)
sound: SB "Live"
PS: Antec mod. SL400 400 Watt
Win XP Pro, Ver. 5.1.2600 Serv Pack 2, Direct X 9.0c

I just bought as a backup a new Pent 4 2.8ghz Northwood CPU w/ HSF...( @ $30.)

I'm now at the windows desktop, just booted up...Only program running is MacAfee Anti-Virus, "Found New Hardware Wizard" just popped up, looking for drivers for raid controller...

Here's list of running "processes":
wuauclt.exe
mcagent.exe
svchost.exe
rundll32.exe
alg.exe
wmiprvse.exe
taskmngr.exe
mcuimgr.exe
devldr.exe
ctfmon.exe
mcnasvc.exe
mcsysmon.exe
mcmscsvc.exe
wpabaln.exe
mcsacore.exe
spoolsv.exe
explorer.exe
wuauclt.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
nvsvc32.exe
mpfsrv.exe
mdm.exe
mcshield.exe
mcproxy.exe
systemidle

This is scary...

What do you folks think?

More about : probs wife computer

October 19, 2008 12:45:50 AM

w32time.dll is what it sounds like, time. Get into your bios, look at the time/date stamp. power off and unplug system for 10 minutes, plug back in and see if the time is the same/accurate. Windows, as well as many applications rely heavily on time, so dig into that closely. of course if its accurate and its not off by 1 year or something like that then thats not the problem.

Look into a bios update for the motherboard. Look into power fluctuation/power supply problems. Data cable to the hard drive having damage/replace it.

Because you have been reinstalling and replacing things it more or less rules out virus/malware of sorts unless you've been installing a program each time the same way which causes the problem.
October 19, 2008 6:59:30 AM

Start by checking the basics. Download the appropriate memtest86+ image file and create a bootable memtest86+ floppy or CD, as appropriate. Then, boot your wife's computer with this, let it run O/N and make sure you are not getting any memory errors. If any errors show up, you'll have to get those fixed before trying to reinstall Windows, which will be necessary in any case.

Just a guess at this point, but if it's not a memory issue, it sounds to me as though you've got some flaky hardware, most likely either the MB or PS. If it's the MB, you've got a quite old system there, so your best bet will be to buy a new Intel-chipset-based socket 775 MB (for example the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3x series) and a new CPU (the e7200 is hard to beat for performance/price these days).
Related resources
October 19, 2008 8:22:26 AM

bbtennis1 said:
Was not sure which forum section to post this to...

After my wife's comp boots up to the Windows desktop, within about 1-2 minutes, we get this error window:

"Generic host process for Win32 has encountered a problem...'
Details: "svchost.exe.mdmp' and "WER58bb.DIR00\appcompat.txt"
"SZ App Name: svchost.exe sz App Ver: 5.1.2600.2180
SZ Mod Name: w32time.dll Offset: 0000235a"

Then, a bit later... another eroor window:
"An exception breakpoint occured at appl at 0x767c335a"

Every 5 minutes or so we get these error messages.
About a week ago, I replaced the HD with a new SATA II WD, got a new video card w/ the latest drivers, and replaced the existing memory with new memeory. I formatted new HD, installed Win XP Pro, and then Serv Pack 2. Before I replaced these components, we were getting the same error messages, but also w/ random lock-ups, and/or programs would run incredibly slowly.

Still getting all the error messages, and now having quite a problem trying to set up the home network...and, some programs I'm trying to re-install...won't install ( ex- chessmaster10)... and everything still running very slowly...

Components:
Asus P4P800 Deluxe 7/21/2003 Bios
cpu: Pent 4 2.6ghz
HD: new WD Sata
Vid Card: new nVidia GeForce 6200
Memory: new 2 sticks of Corsair (2 gig)
sound: SB "Live"
PS: Antec mod. SL400 400 Watt
Win XP Pro, Ver. 5.1.2600 Serv Pack 2, Direct X 9.0c

I just bought as a backup a new Pent 4 2.8ghz Northwood CPU w/ HSF...( @ $30.)

I'm now at the windows desktop, just booted up...Only program running is MacAfee Anti-Virus, "Found New Hardware Wizard" just popped up, looking for drivers for raid controller...

Here's list of running "processes":
wuauclt.exe
mcagent.exe
svchost.exe
rundll32.exe
alg.exe
wmiprvse.exe
taskmngr.exe
mcuimgr.exe
devldr.exe
ctfmon.exe
mcnasvc.exe
mcsysmon.exe
mcmscsvc.exe
wpabaln.exe
mcsacore.exe
spoolsv.exe
explorer.exe
wuauclt.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
nvsvc32.exe
mpfsrv.exe
mdm.exe
mcshield.exe
mcproxy.exe
systemidle

This is scary...

What do you folks think?

I'd suggest that you start with a new PSU. That one is several years old. That PC really doesn't need more than a 400w PSU, but if I was buying a new one I'd get a 500 - 550 w unit for the better effencies. and possible future upgrades. Get a tier one or two rated unit. Antec, PCP&C, any of the better brands.

As Mondoman suggests, do run tests on the usual suspects, but since you have had the issue before and after the upgrade, I'd not expect any issues.

The raid issue is a secondary issue. Maybe SATA raid ports instead of just SATA?

October 19, 2008 9:40:27 AM

he's right, a power supply could be the culprit.
i also add, does the box have adequate ventilation and cooling?
where is it placed? try check the innards and touch the heatsinks if the heat is tolerable to touch.
!