No Video Card, cpu/system fan worries

dgoodmaniii

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
+AMDG

Hello, all. Last time I built a system was in 2000, so things have changed a lot since then. I've got my system built, with one exception: the video card. I thought that my motherboard had an integrated video chipset, since it had nvidia plastered all over it; alas, I was wrong. It's a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4, with integrated audio but no video. So, I have to wait for a new video card to arrive; I've bought an Nvidia Geforce 6200 LE, PCI express, with 512MB of onboard memory.

The chipset I've selected is an Athlon 64 X2 5000. I've got a Xigmatek heatsink and fan installed, and an Antec 450W power supply.

In any case, when I realized my idiot mistake about the video card, I decided I'd at least make sure I had everything else plugged in properly. So I hooked it all up and hit the power button, just watching for the fans before the BIOS gave me its one long, three short beeps indicating there's no video card installed (the motherboard has an Award BIOS). Sure enough, all the LEDs came up and the fan started going. I was satisfied.

But three unexpected things happened. First, only the CPU fan started, not the case fan, although both are plugged into the motherboard. Second, the CPU fan started up, but never really got up to speed, and stopped before the beeps came; this led me to panic and pull the plug the first time, fearing my CPU would fry. Third, the beeps were one long, two short, which indicates (according to my BIOS buddies) a bad video adapter or loose monitor plug, not a missing video card.

So my questions are these: is this fan behavior normal? And can the BIOS error beeps still be ascribed to the missing video card?

Thanks.