Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to setup Raid 0 with no floppy drive.

Last response: in Storage
January 3, 2010 2:03:47 AM

Hey guys,

Forgive me if I am creating a redundant thread, but I didnt find a clear enough explanation in the tutorial nor the forums for me to follow.

Im awaiting my shipment from newegg.com for all of my new computer parts and am pretty interested in setting up RAID 0, but I have a few questions.

1. Can anyone explain how to set up RAID 0 without the use of a floppy if the MoBo has the RAID controller built in?

2. I am setting up a 3 disc array with 2-250GB discs and 1-320GB disc and I understand that my volume size with be downgraded to 750GB because the stripe size is the number of drives * the smallest disc size. BUT, I want to eventually go with a RAID 0+1 array, can I mirror my original array with a single 750GB drive?

3. If/When I decide to switch to RAID 0+1, will I need to do a clean install or will the single 750GB drive just drop in and create a backup?

Im going to be running Windows 7 Ultimate if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!!
January 3, 2010 7:40:57 AM

Don't think its possible to set up raid without a floppy drive on xp. Think its alot easier on vista and 7 tho.

m
l
a b G Storage
January 3, 2010 1:01:02 PM

Windows 7 has the drivers for RAID to run - there is no need for a floppy to install anything. It doesnt even ask you.

In an Intel based system you hit CRTL-I during POST to launch the RAID manager. You can set it up there. The drives do have to be formatted. You can also install Windows7 and then go back into the RAID manager and build the array at that point. Its very easy.

#2 not sure.

#3 I have not done. Im thinking you may need to reinstall. Maybe someone else will answer that one.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 3, 2010 2:58:17 PM

1. you can put the drivers on a cd or usb flash drive

2 & 3. 1+0 or 0+1 require 4x same drives, can't do 3 to 1 ratio. your best bet is to use raid 0 and add a single drive separate to run backup software to mirror on a schedule.

Windows 7 can to that or you can use a 3rd party program. This also eliminates a software failure where 1+0 will mirror the failure.
January 3, 2010 4:30:23 PM

Thanks for your help everyone. I think I have a good place to start from now!!!
m
l
!