Sign in with
Your question

Help with OC Q8400 on Striker Extreme

Last response: in Overclocking
October 3, 2009 10:56:20 AM

Hello, I'm new here and very new to OCing. I've been interested in trying to OC for years, but only started recently after I overhauled my system. I've been reading the guides here and everywhere else I can find em, but still no luck. I've been hit with numerous 0x101 errors or just a BSOD with: "hardware failure, contact manufacturer".

Components:
ASUS Striker Extreme (the older one)
2x 2gb OCZ PC6400 running at 5-5-5-18 (that's what CPU-z is telling me)
Q8400 2.66gHz Intel Processor
ASUS nVidia8800 GTS
Thermaltake ElementS Casing

My system is liquid cooled with the CPU and GPU running on seperate coolers.

The settings I've tried so far include raising the FSB slowly but any increase above 1333mHz caused BSOD on WinVista32 startup. Leaving all the voltage settings on auto didn't work, so I tried some settings from another forum but that guy was using an E8400 CPU and the setup was unstable at best (BSOD at worst >.<). Been trawling the net for ages for settings on a similar setup but was unsuccessful.

I've tried raising the vCore to 1.325v with FSB 1500mHz, still no luck. I suspected it was the RAM, and OCed it to 4-4-4-15 at 2.2V as recommended by CPU-z, system hanged with error INIT8042 on the back poster. I took out the battery to reset the BIOS and decided to ask for help here as I'm at wits end.... Really don't wanna give up trying after spending all the effort trying! :( 

Thanks for reading through this long post, any help will be extremely appreciated!

More about : q8400 striker extreme

October 3, 2009 1:01:01 PM

I had to change the ratio of the fsb strap. I couldn't get it to run past 1000mhz on my p5q pro. Read this guide. You'll find you have to up the NB voltage too. My advice is read the guide, experiment, and learn. Just don't up the voltage past manufacturer's specs until you know what your doing. Long as you don't majorly over volt something you should not ruin your hardware while your learning.

http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardware/103676-c2d-overc...
m
l
October 3, 2009 1:55:39 PM

So far I've only changed the settings as recommended by others. Unfortunately it probably didn't give as much juice as the CPU was different. I'm not home but will read the guide once I do. Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2009 2:50:20 PM

Just got back and read the guide. Was a very very good guide on overclocking especially for a beginner for me. I believe the problem with the BSODs was that the NB voltage was insufficient to maintain a stable OC. Will follow the guide and mess around with the settings until I get a stable setup and post the settings here. Thanks b1kshad0w!
m
l
October 3, 2009 3:27:11 PM

NP! To get to 3.6 ghz I had to have 1.38 volts for my north bridge. Personally I use cpuz, Hwmonitor, and prime95 to test. If you use prime95, make sure you have round off checking checked. (under advanced if I remember right) I personally go a whole 24 hours of prime95. I don't want to be playing a game and have my system crash while I'm playing online, or doing a quiz online for my college class only to lose credit cause my system crashed etc. Good luck and post back if you need more help.
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:28:13 PM

Ok I've tried everything that Clunk recommended in his guide, but his mobo was different from mine so the settings weren't overly reliable. Almost anything involving overclocking failed, even moving overclock setting in extreme tweaker from Auto to Manual and leaving all settings on auto causes a BSOD either while starting winVista or just when the mouse shows up. I went on to search OCZ forums and managed to find some memory settings and voltage settings and tried em, still no luck. I've gotten past post and that's at best, never reached the login screen for Vista.

Setting I tried that almost booted Vista:

FSB
FSB - Mem Clock Mode: Linked
FSB - Mem Ratio: Sync Mode
FSB (QDR), MHz: 1600
Actual Mem (DDR), MHz: 800

RAM
tCL: 4
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tRAS: 12
Command per Clock: 2T
Advanced Settings all on Auto

Over Voltage
vCore Voltage: 1.35
Mem Voltage: 2.00
1.2V HT Voltage: 1.20
NB Voltage: 1.45
SB Voltage: 1.50
CPU VTT Voltage: 1.20
Rest on Auto

Disabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control
Limit CPUID MaxVal
Enhanced C1 (C1E)
CPU C State Capability
Enhanced SpeedStep Tech

Enabled
Execute Disable Bit
Virtualisation Tech

CPU Multiplier: 8
LDT Freq: 5x

Now I really can't pinpoint the problem. I'm afraid of raising the vCore any higher than 1.35 so maybe what I'm aiming for (3.2GHz) may need mucho juice. But so far it seems that the mobo is screwing around with me........ :??: 
m
l
October 3, 2009 10:55:19 PM

I fired up my C2Duo e8400 system with a p5q pro mobo. Here's the settings I have for it:
FSB 400 mhz (x9 for 3.6 ghz)
it's set to ddr2 800mhz
Cpu voltage 1.16250
NB 1.34 volts
CPU Spread Spectrum Disabled
C!E disabled
Max cpuid limit disabled
Intel Virtualization Tech Disabled

Everything else but the ram timings were on auto. Can you link your ram? I wanted to look it up. More than likely it's your ram timing need to be relaxed or the voltage adjusted. As you up the speed of the ram you need to relax the timings.
Is your system stable at all the default settings. (not overclocked)
Find out from the manufacturer the voltage it is supposed to be at and run it at that.

This is the ram I have for example.
Model
Brand G.SKILL
Series PI Black
Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 4
Timing 4-4-4-12
Voltage 1.8V - 1.9V
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
Heat Spreader Yes
Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also to isolate the ram/fsb as the problem, lower your multiplier and up the fsb and see if it crashes/won't boot. If you know it's stable at say 2.66 ghz lower the multiplier so it's running at the speed even though the fsb is higher. Like 420X6= 2520ghz.
m
l
October 4, 2009 12:33:08 AM

Read the overclocking guide, and please note E8400 and Q8400 are totally different chips, ram timings (lower is better) lower is *less* stable etc for high overclocks and what not.

Oh and b1kshad0w that board could see 2ghz FSB with the right CPU - even a 965 chipset featured on my old ASUS P5B Deluxe could see 2ghz, something your doing is wrong if you cant get to atleast 1600.
m
l
October 4, 2009 2:43:27 AM

I didn't notice it was a q8400.
I didn't try going super high on that system. As you can see it's under volted. I've actually had it clocked up higher, but I had to up the voltage higher than I wanted to get to 4ghz. I haven't been using that system since I started using my 720BE a customer bought for me.
m
l
October 4, 2009 3:21:33 AM

RAM
Brand OCZ
Model ocz2T800c42g (prev in slot 2, 4; changed to 1, 3. waiting to test effectiveness of this)
Stock 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8V
2x 2gb kit with heat spreader

My system has been stable so far, w/o OC-ing of course. Ever did a 16-hours gaming marathon with only a fan to keep me cool ;)  , otherwise the system remained at an average of 39C, reading off the NZXT temp probes. The NB does run a tad hotter than the other components at 41C, highest I've seen was 45C.

CPU-z tells me they run on 5-5-5-18 2t. I've been playing around with the ram ports so I've been seeing bsod 0x8e. Apparently this ram sticks don't like being side by side, way too hot! I'm going to retry oc with them in the blue slots rather than the white ones. Seen that comment somewhere while trawling the net.

Yes i've read the stickies, damn informative ones. But I cannot pinpoint the prob! I'll just go with the spd shown by CPU-z: 4-4-4-15 2t @ 2.2v. One thing I DID notice was CPU-z says my CPU vcore is 1.232 on auto setting, while bios volt monitor says 1.29. Which should I believe?

Oh btw, I flashed my BIOS to revision 1901, had to do so, otherwise the Striker Extreme won't run my Q8400.
m
l
October 4, 2009 4:14:52 AM

Ok, it would seem that using the white ports on the Striker Extreme was bad mojo for OCing. I've switched to the blue ones, and winVista allowed me to post here instead of using my iTouch, at last! I left memory to auto for clock and voltage, gets pretty hot and I've yet to get a memory cooler. I'm gonna test it with Sandra for stability now. FSB 400, 1600 QDR, with 1.3625V. NB at 1.4v. Thanks a lot guys! Will let you know if it survives the torture test.
m
l
October 4, 2009 1:34:25 PM

My memory runs at a lower voltage and still gets really hot to the touch. I wouldn't worry about it.
m
l
October 9, 2009 2:08:59 PM

Sorry been busy with work the whole week so did not get much time to test it much. The overclock worked but failed the next boot. I've discussed this with my colleagues and one guy suggested that it could be that one of the ram is either dead or faulty thus causing the system to lockup.
m
l
October 9, 2009 11:47:10 PM

Could be. Did they tell you to try swapping them out?
m
l
October 10, 2009 5:30:41 AM

I ran memtest overnight for close to 10 hours. No errors detected. I tried taking out the rams and testing the overclock one stick at a time, same problem on both, windows cannot start. But after I plugged both in, windows started miraculously. Probably they weren't seated properly before. Was able to run for 3mins and BSOD 0x101 error again. I did get some readings from CPU-Z during the 3mins though, and strangely it read my vCore at 1.280V when I damn sure that it was set to 1.35V. Other than the voltage being higher after I overclocked the systme, all other readings showed the same stats as when the system was at stock. Not enough vCore?
m
l
October 11, 2009 8:49:52 PM

Reduce the multiplier so that it's running at stock speed but keep the higher fsb speed to see if it's something with the ram and that way your ruling out the processor.
m
l
April 10, 2010 3:54:33 PM

shadowkat said:
Ok I've tried everything that Clunk recommended in his guide, but his mobo was different from mine so the settings weren't overly reliable. Almost anything involving overclocking failed, even moving overclock setting in extreme tweaker from Auto to Manual and leaving all settings on auto causes a BSOD either while starting winVista or just when the mouse shows up. I went on to search OCZ forums and managed to find some memory settings and voltage settings and tried em, still no luck. I've gotten past post and that's at best, never reached the login screen for Vista.

Setting I tried that almost booted Vista:

FSB
FSB - Mem Clock Mode: Linked
FSB - Mem Ratio: Sync Mode
FSB (QDR), MHz: 1600
Actual Mem (DDR), MHz: 800

RAM
tCL: 4
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tRAS: 12
Command per Clock: 2T
Advanced Settings all on Auto

Over Voltage
vCore Voltage: 1.35
Mem Voltage: 2.00
1.2V HT Voltage: 1.20
NB Voltage: 1.45
SB Voltage: 1.50
CPU VTT Voltage: 1.20
Rest on Auto

Disabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control
Limit CPUID MaxVal
Enhanced C1 (C1E)
CPU C State Capability
Enhanced SpeedStep Tech

Enabled
Execute Disable Bit
Virtualisation Tech

CPU Multiplier: 8
LDT Freq: 5x

Now I really can't pinpoint the problem. I'm afraid of raising the vCore any higher than 1.35 so maybe what I'm aiming for (3.2GHz) may need mucho juice. But so far it seems that the mobo is screwing around with me........ :??: 

You need to set your fsb and ram to UNKLINKED it is your ram that amping up to much and causing the instablity in your mobo not the voltages. This mobo was a bit of a pain for me aswell when i first started to overclock it, also if you are using sli edition ram like i am on the striker extreme set the option to expert in the tweak menu of the bios, currently i am running my Q8400 at 3.92GHz and my sli edition ocz fatil1ty ram ddr2 800 at 975Mhz. you can pm me if still need help with this and i can get some screen shots of my bios setting for you to compare.
m
l
!